Re: [War Of 1812] Re: [BrigadeNapoleon] Happy Birthday, Iron Duke...

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2007
      In a message dated 01/05/2007 22:17:30 Central Standard Time,
      yawors1@... writes:

      I don't think Wellington had any time or use for martial glory: "the
      saddest thing next to a battle lost is a battle won": not exactly a
      sentiment one would expect to hear from General Bonaparte! Are there
      instances of Napoleon shedding tears over troop losses? I can't
      recollect any.

      Excellent post Jim, and to emphasize some of your points, particularly those
      above here are a couple of quotes.

      "There is nothing so stupid as a gallant officer"

      "I consider myself nimnukwalla (an Indian servant) in that I have eaten of
      the kings salt and therefore it is my duty to serve when and where he pleases"

      and of course I just can't resist the great

      "Tell a Frenchman he is not a gentleman and he will kill you, however this
      does not make him a gentleman!"