RE: [War Of 1812] Most ubiquitous and formidable American units in the war

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2007
      Off the top of my head I would say for the regulars the 21st U. States
      Infantry and the 25th U. States Infantry. They may not have fought in the
      most actions (though I think they are up at the top) but they certainly
      earned a reputation as "elite".

      In terms of militia I believe that the American unit that saw the most
      action was in fact the New York State Militia. I can't think of an action
      on the Niagara Frontier from 1812 to 1814 that they weren't involved in?
      (Sometimes from the sidelines watching but.)

      Kevin

      89th

      _____

      From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of sdondershine

      Which American units saw the most action throughout the course of the war,
      both regulars and militia? Also, were there any units that earned the
      reputation for being particularly reliable or maybe even "elite" as the war
      progressed?

      Thanks again

      Steve