Re-enactment of the Relief of Michilimackinac 1814 - Friday, July 27th/07

  • DAVID BRUNELLE
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29 10:36 PM
      Re-enactment of the Relief of Michilimackinac 1814

      Nottawasaga River - Edenvale, ON (Glengarry Landing) to the mouth of the
      Nottawasaga River (Nancy Island Historic Site) - 25 - 30 km River Run

      Friday, July 27th - Starting at 9:00am and ending hopefully the latest by
      5:00pm.

      Wasaga under Siege 2007 is excited to announce that a re-enactment of a
      portion of the Relief of Michilimackinac, February to April 1814 will be
      added to the list of great activities taking place this year. The Upper
      Nottawasaga River is basically the same way it looked like in 1814 and is a
      great opportunity for those hearty re-enactors to experience the environment
      and hardships soldiers and sailors experienced first hand on this historical
      journey. This river excursion will not be a leisurely float down the river
      as all participants will be expected to pull their weight on an oar,
      potentially cut paths through fallen trees and log jams and getting your
      feet wet as low fast running water may dictate guiding the boat by hand and
      feet.

      For those naval groups who would like to get some real first
      hand river negotiating experience this is your opportunity. To date we have
      three bateaux that have confirmed to take part in this great historical
      re-enactment and we are looking for more boats and crews to take part. We
      are also looking for voyageur canoes and crews to take part in this great
      event as well. If you or your group is interested in participating as many
      boats/canoes will need extra rowers and crew, please contact me anytime at
      wasagaundersiege1812@... or Tom Hurlbut, river commander for the
      event at hurlbut8646@... . More information will be forthcoming as
      we confirm the river schedule and boats attending.

      Look forward to hearing from you!!

      David Brunelle

      Co-ordinator

      Wasaga under Siege 2007

      Historical Information

      1814, February to April - Relief of Michilimackinac

      Six officers and 130 men of the RNR (virtually all who remained fit for
      service) accompanied by 11 artillerymen, and a naval party of 21, marched
      overland with supplies during the winter from Kingston to the Nottawasaga
      River. Moving to re-supply the starving garrison at Michilimackinac, in a
      remarkable operation that demonstrated their capability and determination
      both ashore, and on the water, they felled trees to build 30 bateaux, and
      then rowed from the Nottawasaga River across Lake Huron to the fort at
      Michilimackinac (some 360 miles) losing only one boat crushed in the ice
      choked waters.
    • DAVE COCKBURN