Re: [War Of 1812] Most ubiquitous and formidable American units in the war

  • Lloyd R. Gower
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 9:19 PM
      Steve ,
      I quote , John C Fredricksen ,PHD . The Regiment of Riflemen was unquestionably the most effective infantry formation fielded in the war of 1812 . It never failed to give a good account of itself .
      Accurate weapons a soaring esprit de corps , and enspired leadership of men like Smith Forsythe , Appaling and Morgan all resulted in consistantly superior performance .They remain proud purveyors of the American rifle tradition , and one of the few bright spots in an otherwise dark period of US history . end Quote page 72 Green Coats and Glory ,The United States Regiment of Riflemen .
      I do not know who saw the most action , however this is one opinion from a 1812 book .
      Lloyd
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2007
        Well definitely the 25th!!

        "Major" Tom
        US 25th

        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2007
          All Johnny come latelies.
          Leavenworth's boys were the anchor of the 1st Brigade, the brigade
          was the anchor of the Left Division of the 9th district and anybody
          who was important spent time in the 9th District.
          Tongue in cheek etc etc.
          Jim

          > Well definitely the 25th!!
          >
          > "Major" Tom
          > US 25th

          American units in the war

          > <snip>
          >
          > Off the top of my head I would say for the regulars the 21st U.
          States
          > Infantry and the 25th U. States Infantry. They may not have
          fought in the
          > most actions (though I think they are up at the top) but they
          certainly
          > earned a reputation as "elite".
          >
          > Kevin
          >
          > 89th
          > Recent Activity
          > a.. 6New Members
          > b.. 2New Photos
          > Visit Your Group
          > a.. Civil war history
          > b.. Living history
          > c.. United state history
          > d.. War of 1812
          > Yahoo! Movies
          > Enter your spoof
          >
          > and you could win
          >
          > an MTV Movie Award
          >
          > Yahoo! News
          > Kevin Sites
          >
          > Get coverage of
          >
          > world crises.
          >
          > Yahoo! TV
          > Want the scoop?
          >
          > Check out today's
          >
          > news and gossip.
          > .

        • Thomas Hurlbut
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2007
            As I recall the 25th received some compliments from the Brits at Crysler's, albeit in a losing cause.

            Y'know, it's hard to make up for bad generals, but we try..

            "Major" Tom

            Leavenworth's boys were the anchor of the 1st Brigade, the brigade
            was the anchor of the Left Division of the 9th district and anybody
            who was important spent time in the 9th District.
            Tongue in cheek etc etc.
            Jim

            Recent Activity
            a.. 6New Members