Re: [War Of 1812] Indian Department and Miltia with Blue facings

  • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2007
      Hi Larry,

      That is exactly the point. Matthew Elliott wore his Essex Militia coattee in his Indian Department role. It is not an Indian Department coat. It has the "British Militia" buttons that were used by many Upper Canadian officers. He was a militia Lieutenant-colonel as well as serving as "Superintendent of Indian Affairs for the District of Detroit" from 1796-97 and 1808-1814. Someone portraying one of the Superintendents or Deputy Superintendents, or Captains or Lieutenants of the Department could, I think, accurately portray that person by wearing either an appropriate militia uniform or a generic officers'-quality red coat. Perhaps one could even issue one's self a "Chiefs coat," numbers of which were sent out as gifts to lead First Nations men.

      I would be thrilled if anyone could find a solid reference to an Indian Department uniform. I've been looking for 32 years.

      Ron