Most ubiquitous and formidable American units in the war

  • sdondershine
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2007
      Which american units saw the most action throughout the course of the
      war, both regulars and militia? Also, were there any units that earned
      the reputation for being particularly reliable or maybe even "elite" as
      the war progressed?

      Thanks again

      Steve
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2007
        Off the top of my head I would say for the regulars the 21st U. States
        Infantry and the 25th U. States Infantry. They may not have fought in the
        most actions (though I think they are up at the top) but they certainly
        earned a reputation as "elite".

        In terms of militia I believe that the American unit that saw the most
        action was in fact the New York State Militia. I can't think of an action
        on the Niagara Frontier from 1812 to 1814 that they weren't involved in?
        (Sometimes from the sidelines watching but.)

        Kevin

        89th

        _____