Re: [War Of 1812] British Indian Department - officers coats faced blue, green, or...

  • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 30, 2007
      Hi Jim,

      The prescribed uniform for Upper Canadian militia officers was a red coat with blue facings. The Niagara museum has a few samples of original Lincoln Militia coattees that match these regulations.

      Ron

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 30, 2007
        Hello Gang,

        The illustration on the cmhg site, "scarlet faced green," is based on Rene Chartrands assumptions from the McKay portrait. If anyone has an actual historic reference to an approved Indian Department uniform, I would love to see it.

        Has anyone done research into the sealed patterns at the PRO?

        Ron

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 30, 2007
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, ronaldjdale@... wrote:

          > Hi Jim,
          >
          > The prescribed uniform for Upper Canadian militia officers was a red
          coat with blue facings. The Niagara museum has a few samples of
          original Lincoln Militia coattees that match these regulations.

          > Ron

          So... blue is not reserved entirely for "royal" regiments, at least in
          Upper Canada... If militia officers are wearing blue faced coats,
          then maybe so are those of the Indian Department... the "they can't
          be because only Royal Regiments were faced blue" argument is
          apparently not valid...

          Jim
          41st
        • larrylozon
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 30, 2007
            ronaldjdale wrote:

            If anyone has an actual historic reference to an approved Indian
            Department uniform, I would love to see it.

            As has been said before

            There were a large number of British Indian Department personnel at
            what is now Fort Malden across from Detroit.

            Tecumseh had dealings with the Indian Agent and his uniform is on
            display at Fort Malden.

            Visit
            http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/malden/index_e.asp

            Contact John MacLeod John.MacLeod (at) pc.gc.ca

            The uniforms on display are early war, scarlet with green facing and
            late war scarlet with blue facing.

            This should help all who want to do British Indian Department (War Of
            1812) ... 'actual Original uniforms'.

            Yrs.,
            Larry Lozon (L2)
            Upper Canada (Ontario)

            United States Forces 1812
            http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            Crown Forces North America 1812
            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

            2007 WAR Of 1812 Events

            Sutlers & Merchants
            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com/sutlersmerchants
          • kevin.windsor@sympatico.ca
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 30, 2007
              Geez Ron, you'd figure you of all people would know that!! ;-)
              Do you know who to contact at Ft Malden?
              You know ParksCan can be pretty intimidating for those not familiar with the system... ;-)

              Kevin

            • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 30, 2007
                Hi Kevin,

                Oh, I am very familiar with these coats. Matthew Elliot's coat was likely made after 1794 when orders were issued requiring the Militia of Upper Canada to wear red coats with blue facings. The coat has been greatly altered and includes the addition of panels to increase the size of the coat as Elliott's girth expanded. Red coats with green facings arrived in Upper Canada in the Spring of 1814 and some officers adapted accordingly before the order of June, 1814 that they be dressed in red coats faced blue. In New Brunswick, in 1813, 3000 coats arrived for the militia, 1000 of which had blue facings. In Lower Canada, some regiments of militia had blue facings and some green, including the 5th Battalion of select embodied militia, which claimed the same William McKay as a member. His portrait could feature an Indian Department uniform or his Quebec militia uniform. John McLeod at Malden (john.McLeod@...) knows the collection intimately and could likely send photos of officers coats in their collection which include the above mentioned Elliott coat and another pre-1813 militia officer's coat, again red with green facings. John has recreated a section of Caldwell's Rangers who worked very closely with First Nations allies.

                A number of years ago there was a great deal of debate over a Rev War era coat in the Niagara Museum that had belonged to Daniel Servos of the Indian Department. Regulations were scoured here and in England for clothing warrants for the Indian Department and the earliest reference to an approved uniform was the green post-War of 1812 one. The documents suggested that Indian Department officers wear a red coat in Indian country and the conclusion was that this was a red coat cut in military style--not a specific Indian Department uniform.
                Ron

                Message 7 of 21 , May 1 10:42 PM
                  In a message dated 4/29/07 12:32:20 PM, littlefeatherscrafts@... writes:

                  > Looking for some info trying to get some idea on are uniform be looking
                  > at can't find nothing if you got any info please snd reply.
                  > Thanks

                  Turbans, I think.

                  Oh, gad, you mean THOSE Indians...
                  ;-)
                  93rd SHRoFLHU
                  www.93rdhighlanders.com
                  THE Thin Red Line

                • Chris Kimball
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 2 7:26 AM
                    Turbans, I think.
                    Oh, gad, you mean THOSE Indians...
                    ;-)
                    93rd SHRoFLHU
                    www.93rdhighlanders .com
                    THE Thin Red Line

                    Actually, true in both cases, at least for here in the south. Creeks, Choctaws, or folks from Bombay.
                    Regards,
                    Chris Kimball
                    Okahumpkee, Native Warrior on the southern theater of operations

                  • wolf_bna
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 10, 2008
                      I was offered a Captain's commission on November, 26, 2004 to which I
                      accepted. I have been unable to attend several events due to
                      obligations to my Nation. As many of you know Six Nations is locked
                      in a land dispute regarding the Haldimand Tract with the Federal and
                      Provincial governments. Having the responsibility of sitting on one
                      of the negotiating teams has demanded much of my time. Other members
                      of the British Native Allies have attended many events although I
                      have been absent. Nevertheless my lack of presence as a British
                      Indian Department Captain is really of no consequence.

                      That being said the following is a contracted description of the
                      British Indian Department.

                      In 1790 the British implemented the Constitutional Act which divided
                      Canada into the provinces of Upper and Lower Canada. Each became
                      separate political entities under the auspices of the Governor
                      General. In Upper Canada the Lieutenant Governor and in Lower Canada
                      the Representative of the Governor General would report directly to
                      the Governor General. Below them were the Executive and Legislative
                      bodies of both provinces.

                      Prior to 1796 the responsibility for Indian Affairs belonged to the
                      office of the Superintendent and Deputy Superintendent of Indian
                      Affairs. The resident Indian Agents served under the Deputy
                      Superintendent. This structure was employed in Lower Canada until
                      1800 when responsibility was transferred to the Governor General. In
                      Upper Canada in 1796 responsibility was transferred to the Lieutenant-
                      Governor.

                      During the War of 1812 Sir George Prevost was the Governor General
                      (1812–1815).

                      The Lieutenant-Governors were Sir Isaac Brock (1811-1812), Sir Roger
                      Hale Sheaffe (1812-1813), Francis de Rottenburg (1813) and Sir Gordon
                      Drummond (1813-1814). It should be noted that all of the Lieutenant-
                      Governors were administrators and commanders of the forces in Upper
                      Canada during the war.

                      The responsibilities of the Indian Department during the war were
                      administration, recruitment, providing of interpreters and the
                      supplying of provisions. Authoritative and administrative duties
                      belonged to the Governor General and the Lieutenant-Governor.
                      Recruitment, interpretive and supply duties belonged to men employed
                      in the Indian Department having intimate knowledge of the various
                      Indigenous peoples.

                      Each responsibility maintained its own ordinances. Administrative
                      duties dealt with Treaties and other issues occasionally arising
                      between British Subjects or the military and Native Allies.
                      Recruiters recruited the alliance of Indigenous Nations to provide
                      warriors for the Kings cause. Interpreters were required to
                      communicate between the British and their various Native allies. The
                      supplying of provisions to Native allies was an integral part of
                      keeping them on the battlefield. Warriors were provided with the
                      necessary accouterments for battle while their villages received the
                      sustenance required while the men were on the field instead of
                      hunting.

                      War Chiefs were customarily employed by the Indian Department and
                      given the rank of a Lieutenant or Captain. This logic was employed to
                      assure Native allies of segregation from the structured British
                      military regime. British military commanders could merely suggest but
                      never execute orders to their Native allies and vice versa. The fact
                      is that Native allies fought unfettered as an independent entity
                      under the leadership of their own War Chiefs. A case in point is the
                      Military's resolve of the rivalry between William Claus and John
                      Teyoninhokarawen Norton.

                      The British Indian Department in reality was an institution
                      established to manage issues regarding the relationship between
                      European and Indigenous peoples. While some B.I.D. officers and
                      interpreters fought along side Native allies the Department never
                      fought as a "cohesive military fighting unit" or commanded their
                      allies. In fact, they were obligated to obey the commands of the War
                      Chiefs if they chose to fight along side them. They were first and
                      foremost administrators which developed into the modern Department of
                      Indian Affairs that exists today.