Net language

  • NINETY3RD@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 1998
      I may not even have to post this, but sometimes you never know who may be
      fairly new to "netteese" and the "sign language" of the net!

      As we have almost instant communication with this stuff, a lot of emails and
      what not are written much as if the person were talking in person - the only
      problem we run into is that inflection of voice and facial expressions cannot
      be seen or heard. So little "signs" have developed to aid in deciphering the
      meaning of a post one might read.

      For instance; I being good friends (I hope) with Larry Lozon, might answer one
      of his posts by writing ,"Yeah Larry but you have a big butt." Now by itself
      and without seeing my smirk or hearing the funny voice I used, one might think
      that was a pretty mean thing to say. So in order to show I was only joking, I
      add a "wink" after the phrase:
      Yeah Larry but you have a big butt. ;-)
      See that thing at the end? ;-) <---That is a "wink".
      This is a smile: :-)
      It's a happy face turned on its side. Kind of silly, but it works.

      There are abbreviations as well: LOL means Laughing Out Loud.
      IIRC means If I Recall Correctly.
      AFAIK = As Far as I know.

      The lists on these things go on and on. But I just wanted to make sure
      everyone knew that a lot of times someone is not being condescending or rude
      -- they are merely being witty, or joking, or flirting if they're into
      cybersex. ;-)
      See? I just did it! :-)
      Always look close at a message - someone may be winking at you.

      So all I can say is, if you can't get the joke...
      :-P

      Cheers!
      Benton