website photo: Fort Malden from 1900 feet up

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2007
      Today's photo shows Fort Malden in Amherstburg (a town increasingly
      referred to as "A-Burg" locally...). This is a Parks Canada site with
      some excellent exhibits.

      Consideration of Fort Malden's status in terms of preservationists vs
      developers, "heritage-sensitive" types vs "progress = tear down and
      build new" types raises some interesting points.

      When it was being developed, Fort Malden was a "community" museum in
      the sense that its exhibits were an eclectic mix of what the local
      community chose to donate. It was a fascinating place, packed with
      "old stuff" including stuffed animals (birds, mainly), old kitchen and
      farm utensils, models of Great Lake shipping, etc etc etc.

      Parks Canada eventually took over and focussed the exhibits on the
      Fort's military history: primarily, the War of 1812 and the Rebellion
      of 1837.

      Since Parks Canada took over, the site has been constantly upgraded-
      but in fits and starts. On the south side, a row of houses used to
      border the Fort. Many of these houses have been purchased and
      demolished and their land incorporated in to the site. This has
      allowed the reconstruction of the earthworks of the south-west
      bastion. I have been told that Parks Canada has a special fund used
      only for capital land purchase expenditures, so that eventually, the
      remaining houses will probably become part of the Fort.

      It is undeniable that at least in its current configuration, the site
      is still very small, which makes staging a large reenactment event
      problematic. There is a municipal park to the south of the Fort - if
      the remaining houses "went" and this park was also incorporated in to
      the Fort, then there would almost be a link to the Navy Yard park, and
      there would be a lot more room to do things...

      Is it wishful thinking to believe that at some time in the next few
      hundred years, all the lands that were once part of the substantially
      larger 1812-era "original" fort will be incorporated in to the site?
      This would involve expansion not just to the south, but the east
      (closing Laird Avenue and incorporating the High School that can be
      seen in the picture as well as a few private residences) and north (a
      few very expensive-looking private residences) as well.

      One summer, firing was prohibited between certain hours in the early
      afternoon. Reason? A neighbour complained the musket-firing
      demonstration (one musket, fired once or twice) given once an hour was
      waking up her baby. Life's hell near even a partially recreated
      military post, ain't it?

      Jim Yaworsky
      Moderator
    • Susan Spencer
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2007
        Remembering the usual weather at the Fort Malden Military Through the
        Ages event (August long weekend -- mark your calendars now -- I don't
        want to be outnumbered by Vikings again!), I say we just annex the bits
        with the swimming pools . . . and perhaps a stone house or two in which
        to weather the traditional Friday evening windstorm . . .

        -- Sioux ;-)