Re: [War Of 1812] Letters home

  • Dave Westhouse
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007

      (mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com) ,
      > HQ93rd@ wrote:
      > >
      > > In a message dated 3/30/07 9:29:56 PM, westhouse@ In a mes
      > > > I am just in the midst of reading a book entitled
      > > > 'Andrew Jackson the Border Captain'
      > > > written in 1933 by Marquis James
      > > >
      > > > and was taken by the excerpts of letters sent by Andrew
      Jackson
      > and
      > > > his wife Rachel. The language and flourish was interesting as
      > well as
      > > > the spelling in some cases.
      > > >

      > > Does it end with Capn Jack rescuing her from the evil clutches
      of
      > Danny
      > > Devito and they sail off together on his new sailboat?
      > >
      > > Lt Col Ain't I the Persnickety One B
      > > 93rd SHRoFLHU
      > > www.93rdhighlanders
      > > THE Thin Red Line
      > >
      > Uhhhhh no. But they do get to live in an empty musty big new
      mansion
      > with a nice new coat of white paint! :>)
      >

      > Well, no, THEY don't. She died right before he took office as
      President.

      > Ann Wass

      Oh darn, now I don't need to read the rest of the story. Now I know
      how it ends. Just kidding. ;>)
      Ok, HE gets to live in an even more empty big new mansion with a
      nice new coat of white paint.

      Dave.
    • Dale Kidd
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, annbwass@... wrote:
        > Well, no, THEY don't. She died right before he took office as
        President.

        Geez, talk about lousy timing... all that effort invested in waiting
        around for a guy who was never at home and writing mushy letters, then
        she misses out on the big payoff!

        ~Dale
      • annbwass@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
          In a message dated 4/1/2007 9:29:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          ucpm_gunner@... writes:

          Geez, talk about lousy timing... all that effort invested in waiting
          around for a guy who was never at home and writing mushy letters, then
          she misses out on the big payoff!

          He was absolutely heartbroken and never really got over it. And let's not
          forget, either, that they both had to endure a lot of gossip, that was revived
          when he ran for president. Her first husband was abusive, and they
          separated. Rachel heard that he had gotten a divorce, and she married Andrew. Well,
          it turned out husband number one wasn't divorced, he had just gotten
          permission to file. After the divorce was legal, Andrew and Rachel married again,
          legally, but charges of adultery kept getting slung at them.

          Yes, it was made into a movie, "The President's Lady," with Susan Hayward as
          Rachel and, of course, Charlton Heston as Andrew.

          Ann Wass

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2007
            In a message dated 4/1/07 7:26:25 AM, westhouse@... writes:

            > Uhhhhh no. But they do get to live in an empty musty big new mansion
            > with a nice new coat of white paint!  :>)  But sorry, no sailboat

            Ohh..."The Money Pit".

            93rd SHRoFLHU
            www.93rdhighlanders.com
            THE Thin Red Line