Re: [War Of 1812] Letters home

  • Dave Westhouse
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 3/30/07 9:29:56 PM, westhouse@... writes:
      > > I am just in the midst of reading a book entitled
      > > 'Andrew Jackson the Border Captain'
      > > written in 1933 by Marquis James
      > >
      > > and was taken by the excerpts of letters sent by Andrew Jackson
      and
      > > his wife Rachel. The language and flourish was interesting as
      well as
      > > the spelling in some cases.
      > >

      > Does it end with Capn Jack rescuing her from the evil clutches of
      Danny
      > Devito and they sail off together on his new sailboat?
      >
      > Lt Col Ain't I the Persnickety One B
      > 93rd SHRoFLHU
      > www.93rdhighlanders.com
      > THE Thin Red Line

      Uhhhhh no. But they do get to live in an empty musty big new mansion
      with a nice new coat of white paint! :>) But sorry, no sailboat.

      DW
    • annbwass@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
        In a message dated 4/1/2007 10:26:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        westhouse@... writes:

        --- In _WarOf1812@yahoogrouWarOf1_ (mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com) ,
        HQ93rd@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 3/30/07 9:29:56 PM, westhouse@.. In a mes
        > > I am just in the midst of reading a book entitled
        > > 'Andrew Jackson the Border Captain'
        > > written in 1933 by Marquis James
        > >
        > > and was taken by the excerpts of letters sent by Andrew Jackson
        and
        > > his wife Rachel. The language and flourish was interesting as
        well as
        > > the spelling in some cases.
        > >

        > Does it end with Capn Jack rescuing her from the evil clutches of
        Danny
        > Devito and they sail off together on his new sailboat?
        >
        > Lt Col Ain't I the Persnickety One B
        > 93rd SHRoFLHU
        > www.93rdhighlanders
        > THE Thin Red Line

        Uhhhhh no. But they do get to live in an empty musty big new mansion
        with a nice new coat of white paint! :>)

        Well, no, THEY don't. She died right before he took office as President.

        Ann Wass

      • Dave Westhouse
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, annbwass@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 4/1/2007 10:26:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          > westhouse@... writes:
          >

          > --- In _WarOf1812@yahoogrouWarOf1_
          (mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com) ,
          > HQ93rd@ wrote:
          > >
          > > In a message dated 3/30/07 9:29:56 PM, westhouse@ In a mes
          > > > I am just in the midst of reading a book entitled
          > > > 'Andrew Jackson the Border Captain'
          > > > written in 1933 by Marquis James
          > > >
          > > > and was taken by the excerpts of letters sent by Andrew
          Jackson
          > and
          > > > his wife Rachel. The language and flourish was interesting as
          > well as
          > > > the spelling in some cases.
          > > >

          > > Does it end with Capn Jack rescuing her from the evil clutches
          of
          > Danny
          > > Devito and they sail off together on his new sailboat?
          > >
          > > Lt Col Ain't I the Persnickety One B
          > > 93rd SHRoFLHU
          > > www.93rdhighlanders
          > > THE Thin Red Line
          > >
          > Uhhhhh no. But they do get to live in an empty musty big new
          mansion
          > with a nice new coat of white paint! :>)
          >

          > Well, no, THEY don't. She died right before he took office as
          President.

          > Ann Wass

          Oh darn, now I don't need to read the rest of the story. Now I know
          how it ends. Just kidding. ;>)
          Ok, HE gets to live in an even more empty big new mansion with a
          nice new coat of white paint.

          Dave.
        • Dale Kidd
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, annbwass@... wrote:
            > Well, no, THEY don't. She died right before he took office as
            President.

            Geez, talk about lousy timing... all that effort invested in waiting
            around for a guy who was never at home and writing mushy letters, then
            she misses out on the big payoff!

            ~Dale
          • annbwass@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
              In a message dated 4/1/2007 9:29:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              ucpm_gunner@... writes:

              Geez, talk about lousy timing... all that effort invested in waiting
              around for a guy who was never at home and writing mushy letters, then
              she misses out on the big payoff!

              He was absolutely heartbroken and never really got over it. And let's not
              forget, either, that they both had to endure a lot of gossip, that was revived
              when he ran for president. Her first husband was abusive, and they
              separated. Rachel heard that he had gotten a divorce, and she married Andrew. Well,
              it turned out husband number one wasn't divorced, he had just gotten
              permission to file. After the divorce was legal, Andrew and Rachel married again,
              legally, but charges of adultery kept getting slung at them.

              Yes, it was made into a movie, "The President's Lady," with Susan Hayward as
              Rachel and, of course, Charlton Heston as Andrew.

              Ann Wass

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2007
                In a message dated 4/1/07 7:26:25 AM, westhouse@... writes:

                > Uhhhhh no. But they do get to live in an empty musty big new mansion
                > with a nice new coat of white paint!  :>)  But sorry, no sailboat

                Ohh..."The Money Pit".

                93rd SHRoFLHU
                www.93rdhighlanders.com
                THE Thin Red Line