Re: [War Of 1812] Letters home

  • HQ93rd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
      In a message dated 3/30/07 9:29:56 PM, westhouse@... writes:
      > I am just in the midst of reading a book entitled
      > 'Andrew Jackson the Border Captain'
      > written in 1933 by Marquis James
      >
      > and was taken by the excerpts of letters sent by Andrew Jackson and
      > his wife Rachel. The language and flourish was interesting as well as
      > the spelling in some cases.

      Does it end with Capn Jack rescuing her from the evil clutches of Danny
      Devito and they sail off together on his new sailboat?

      Lt Col Ain't I the Persnickety One B
      93rd SHRoFLHU
      www.93rdhighlanders.com
      THE Thin Red Line

    • Dave Westhouse
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 3/30/07 9:29:56 PM, westhouse@... writes:
        > > I am just in the midst of reading a book entitled
        > > 'Andrew Jackson the Border Captain'
        > > written in 1933 by Marquis James
        > >
        > > and was taken by the excerpts of letters sent by Andrew Jackson
        and
        > > his wife Rachel. The language and flourish was interesting as
        well as
        > > the spelling in some cases.
        > >

        > Does it end with Capn Jack rescuing her from the evil clutches of
        Danny
        > Devito and they sail off together on his new sailboat?
        >
        > Lt Col Ain't I the Persnickety One B
        > 93rd SHRoFLHU
        > www.93rdhighlanders.com
        > THE Thin Red Line

        Uhhhhh no. But they do get to live in an empty musty big new mansion
        with a nice new coat of white paint! :>) But sorry, no sailboat.

        DW
      • annbwass@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
          In a message dated 4/1/2007 10:26:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          westhouse@... writes:

          --- In _WarOf1812@yahoogrouWarOf1_ (mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com) ,
          HQ93rd@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 3/30/07 9:29:56 PM, westhouse@.. In a mes
          > > I am just in the midst of reading a book entitled
          > > 'Andrew Jackson the Border Captain'
          > > written in 1933 by Marquis James
          > >
          > > and was taken by the excerpts of letters sent by Andrew Jackson
          and
          > > his wife Rachel. The language and flourish was interesting as
          well as
          > > the spelling in some cases.
          > >

          > Does it end with Capn Jack rescuing her from the evil clutches of
          Danny
          > Devito and they sail off together on his new sailboat?
          >
          > Lt Col Ain't I the Persnickety One B
          > 93rd SHRoFLHU
          > www.93rdhighlanders
          > THE Thin Red Line

          Uhhhhh no. But they do get to live in an empty musty big new mansion
          with a nice new coat of white paint! :>)

          Well, no, THEY don't. She died right before he took office as President.

          Ann Wass

        • Dave Westhouse
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, annbwass@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 4/1/2007 10:26:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            > westhouse@... writes:
            >

            > --- In _WarOf1812@yahoogrouWarOf1_
            (mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com) ,
            > HQ93rd@ wrote:
            > >
            > > In a message dated 3/30/07 9:29:56 PM, westhouse@ In a mes
            > > > I am just in the midst of reading a book entitled
            > > > 'Andrew Jackson the Border Captain'
            > > > written in 1933 by Marquis James
            > > >
            > > > and was taken by the excerpts of letters sent by Andrew
            Jackson
            > and
            > > > his wife Rachel. The language and flourish was interesting as
            > well as
            > > > the spelling in some cases.
            > > >

            > > Does it end with Capn Jack rescuing her from the evil clutches
            of
            > Danny
            > > Devito and they sail off together on his new sailboat?
            > >
            > > Lt Col Ain't I the Persnickety One B
            > > 93rd SHRoFLHU
            > > www.93rdhighlanders
            > > THE Thin Red Line
            > >
            > Uhhhhh no. But they do get to live in an empty musty big new
            mansion
            > with a nice new coat of white paint! :>)
            >

            > Well, no, THEY don't. She died right before he took office as
            President.

            > Ann Wass

            Oh darn, now I don't need to read the rest of the story. Now I know
            how it ends. Just kidding. ;>)
            Ok, HE gets to live in an even more empty big new mansion with a
            nice new coat of white paint.

            Dave.
          • Dale Kidd
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, annbwass@... wrote:
              > Well, no, THEY don't. She died right before he took office as
              President.

              Geez, talk about lousy timing... all that effort invested in waiting
              around for a guy who was never at home and writing mushy letters, then
              she misses out on the big payoff!

              ~Dale
            • annbwass@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
                In a message dated 4/1/2007 9:29:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                ucpm_gunner@... writes:

                Geez, talk about lousy timing... all that effort invested in waiting
                around for a guy who was never at home and writing mushy letters, then
                she misses out on the big payoff!

                He was absolutely heartbroken and never really got over it. And let's not
                forget, either, that they both had to endure a lot of gossip, that was revived
                when he ran for president. Her first husband was abusive, and they
                separated. Rachel heard that he had gotten a divorce, and she married Andrew. Well,
                it turned out husband number one wasn't divorced, he had just gotten
                permission to file. After the divorce was legal, Andrew and Rachel married again,
                legally, but charges of adultery kept getting slung at them.

                Yes, it was made into a movie, "The President's Lady," with Susan Hayward as
                Rachel and, of course, Charlton Heston as Andrew.

                Ann Wass

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3, 2007
                  In a message dated 4/1/07 7:26:25 AM, westhouse@... writes:

                  > Uhhhhh no. But they do get to live in an empty musty big new mansion
                  > with a nice new coat of white paint!  :>)  But sorry, no sailboat

                  Ohh..."The Money Pit".

                  93rd SHRoFLHU
                  www.93rdhighlanders.com
                  THE Thin Red Line