Re: New Edition of Ashworth's Drum Manual Finished

  • James Krause
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2007
      Jim Yaworsky wrote:
      Two points:

      1) Generally, There is certainly nothing wrong with shameless self
      promotion of resources that might be of interest to other list
      members! It's one of the reasons this List exists.

      2) Specifically, It would help list members who are not particularly
      well-informed about drumming in the 1812 time period to know the
      answers to the following:

      a) what year was this book originally published?

      b) was it used by U.S. or Anglo/Canadian forces in the War of 1812
      i.e. is it appropriate for 1812 reenactors?

      c) assuming the answer to "b" is "yes", then is this the sort of book
      that somebody stuck way too far from Ross Flowers and the Drums (like,
      say, somebody who lives in Windsor, Ontario...) might be able to
      utilize "solo"?

      Jim and List
      I tried to err on the side of caution and not be too commercial. I'll do my best to answer your questions.
      2a. The book was originally published in January, 1812
      2b. The book was intended for use by American forces. British and Canadian forces presumably used Potter. I'm not an authority on British duties, beats and signals of the period.
      2c. It would be appropriate for American forces from 1812 onward, perhaps as late as the Mexican/American War.

      In regards to utilizing drum resources, it is my strong belief that one would be well advised to seek out a competent drum teacher, one who knows and understands the rudimental style of drumming. I sincerely don't believe that snare drum is an instrument that one can just pick up and play by ear like guitar or banjo, or even piano. It is too easy to form bad habits and even incorrect playing technique without the supervision of a good teacher.

      One of the most profoundly simple rudiments, and the most crucial to master is the long roll. I say profoundly simple meaning in concept. In practice, one can always refine and perfect the execution of the long roll. Many of the rudiments depend upon the drummer's ability to execute the long roll. And learning to control the sticks in performing the various roll rudiments is something where a teacher can provide valuable guidance. I hope I've adequately answered your questions.

      Jim Krause

      Music Director, Fife Instructor
      The Kaw Valley Fife & Drum Corps
      Fife and drum music of early America