Re: [War Of 1812] Re: New Edition of Ashworth's Drum Manual Finished

  • Gordon Deans
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2007
      Jim Yaworsky,

      HMS Charwell will be fielding a squad of Royal Marines this summer
      including a Royal Marine drummer. Ross Flowers has been particularly
      helpful in providing advice and information on learning the drum
      calls, etc.

      2. c. A solo drummer can learn the required rudiments on their own,
      particularly with access to certain web sites where the rudiments and
      calls are available in sound files. The greatest risk is to acquire
      bad habits in the handling of the sticks. However, learning to play
      music in a group requires the leadership of a master such as Ross.

      The new Ashworth's Drum Manual is well worth the investment.

      I have been able to assemble an information and training guide for our
      drummer to follow which I would be happy to share with you at
      Longwoods.

      Gord Deans, Royal Navy [1812-15].
      HMS Charwell Gun Crew and Landing Party.

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2007
        Gord

        Your drummer should follow the Potter manual I provided for you, not
        the Amercian Ashworth manual.

        Drums

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@...>

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31, 2007
          Thanks, Drums.

          I will make sure our drummer only sees the Potter manual.

          Gord.

          P.S. I heard that all unit drummers are expected to mass with your
          group at CFNA events instead of performing unit calls. Have I been
          mislead?

          Your drummer should follow the Potter manual I provided for you, not
          the Amercian Ashworth manual.

          Drums
        • Thomas Hurlbut
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31, 2007
            So Ashworth is proper for US?

            "Major" Tom
            US 25th

            Your drummer should follow the Potter manual I provided for you, not
            the Amercian Ashworth manual.

            Drums

            ---
            Recent Activity
            a.. 4New Members
            b.. 33New Photos
            Visit Your Group
            a.. Civil war history
            b.. Living history
            c.. United state history
            d.. War of 1812
            Apprentice LA
            Who will be next?

            Play the Bix.com

            faceoff to see!

            Yahoo! News
            Most Popular News

            What's the most

            popular news now?

            Yahoo! TV
            Stay updated

            Get video & read blogs

            on The Apprentice.
            .

          • Ross Flowers
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2007
              Tom

              I would generally say yes. However Betsy has done far more research
              into US music and I would contact her, or John Oien or Jim K for an
              authoritative response.

              Drums

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Hurlbut" <hurlbut8646@...>
              wrote:

              > So Ashworth is proper for US?
              >
              > "Major" Tom
              > US 25th

            • Ross Flowers
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2007
                Gord

                We can discuss off line. No one is required to do it so if your unit
                doesn't want it that's fine. Many drummers find it educational to
                play with our group and we are always willing to assist. But the
                decision is up to you and your drummer.

                wrote:

                > Thanks, Drums.
                >
                > I will make sure our drummer only sees the Potter manual.
                >
                > Gord.
                >
                > P.S. I heard that all unit drummers are expected to mass with
                your
                > group at CFNA events instead of performing unit calls. Have I
                been
                > mislead?

              • Thomas Hurlbut
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3, 2007
                  Thanks Ross

                  Tom

                  I would generally say yes. However Betsy has done far more research
                  into US music and I would contact her, or John Oien or Jim K for an
                  authoritative response.

                  Drums

                  Recent Activity
                  a.. 4New Members