Fort Lernault, August 1, 1792

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2007
      Today's website illustration is a plan of Fort Lernault and the
      civilian town of Detroit taken from an "accurate survey" and dated
      August 1 1792.

      Some interesting features:

      1) Detroit burned down in 1805 or so, but the general street layout
      etc. was basically the same in the rebuilt town at the time of the
      War of 1812

      2) Detroit was still under British control when this survey was taken
      and map drawn. The interior of the fort looks somewhat different than
      what "spy" RR found in January 1812 - buildings appear that either RR
      couldn't see in January 1812, or that had been ripped down between
      1792 and 1812 - 20 years...

      3) absolutely *nothing* on this plan is the same in 2007... not a
      single building or feature created by the hand of humans... I will
      post the "overlay" brought to our attention by Larry Lozon next.

      Jim Yaworsky
      Moderator/Owner