Description of a soldier (militia I hope)

  • Colin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2007
      It is a little bit early for us, but I thought it would give everyone
      a chuckle.
      This guy sounds like one of the reservists my father had to deal with
      during the Vietnam War who joined to avoid going to Nam and rarely put
      their best foot forward in a sort of personal protest or perhaps a way
      to get out of service like Klinger from M.A.S.H.. Or maybe he had a
      mental disability.I wish I knew the rest of this story. It also talks
      about the officers punishing methods... interesting (we shoould
      recreate the scene).
      It actually starts off talking about the officer being court martial
      for what he does to the soldier and then describes the soldier. The

      It comes from the newspaper New York Weekly Museum, 01-17-1807

      "Singular Military Appearance

      At Portland, in the district of Maine, Lieut Ingraham was lately tried
      by a Court Martial for punishing one Noah Harding, a private in his
      company, by taking his arms and accoutrements from him, putting him
      under guard, marching him through the town, and placing him in public
      view on a wooden Horse errected for the purpose, & c. In the
      Lieutenant's defence before the Court, after detailing a number of
      provocations given by the said Noah Harding he thus describes
      Harding's ludicrous appearance in the ranks on the parade.

      Is it fully proved by the testimony that in pursuance of previous
      threats made as public as possible, Noah Harding, the complainant, did
      appear on parade on the said muster day, in a dress that could not
      fail to excite public ridicule and derision, and which was intended
      and stupidly believed by him to throw odium and contempt upon the
      company to which he belongs, and on his proper officers. It is fully
      proved by the same witnesses, that he appeared wearing a pair of
      spectacles of an unusual size and appearance, fastened round his head
      with a black ribbon or something resembling it, and it fully appears
      that the spectacles of any kind are not usually worn by him, neither
      were the such as could assist or relieve the sight of any person to
      whom spectacles might be necessary; and it very appearent that those
      were not intended for any such purpose, but were procured not to
      relieve the sight, and could only fit to decorate the forehead of Noah
      Harding- that he wore a straw hat with a yellow band procured for the
      occasion- that over a white neck handkerchief of the usual kind, he
      wore a bandana handkerchief, so called, twisted to the resemblance of
      a cord- that he worethree waistcoats of unusual and unequal lengths,
      and of different colors, in such a manner as to expose them to view as
      much as possible; and to render his appearance still more ridiculous
      and contemptable each waistcoat was confined with only one or two
      buttons at thge breast, so they might be easily blown about by the
      wind- that having either very long suspenders or none at all, his
      pantaloons filled up his boots so as to make his appearance awkward
      beyond description. His canteen was very awkwardly hung upon him with
      a profusion of what is called quality binding, which further decorated
      his dress with long strings and bows. His boots had been kept for a
      number of weeks in his cellar, in order to contract a mould which
      might render them a suitable addition to tthe other parts of his
      dress- he carried what he called a knapsack, which was rather a bag,
      or pack of unusual size whimsically painted and marked No. 1; in which
      was a very large salt fish selected on account of its size from a pile
      of ten quintals, so large that the tail of the fishappeared above his
      shoulders out of the mouth of the bag."

      Yrs
      Colin Murphy
      USS Con 1812 MG