2nd Lincoln Miltia

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7 8:30 PM
      Hello All .....

      Back in the late fall I had made some posts looking for a Farr
      ancestor, who may have served in the Militia. In one of the replies,
      it was mentioned that the 2nd Lincoln was formed from the Niagara
      Falss / Stamford area. I was recently going thru some old emails,
      and found one from 2000 (yes, I save all of my old genealogy
      emails :) ).

      It was a list that was sent to me of the 2nd Regiment of Lincoln
      Militia; Muster of Capt Chas Askins Company: Oct 25 - Nov 24, 1812.
      It gives a list of all men, and their assignments. I recognize many
      of the names as being of the Haldimand / Canboro / Grand River area.
      For clarification, is the 2nd Regiment the same as the 2nd Lincoln?
      The Lt. is Christian McDonnell, who I believe is one and the same
      who was killed at Chippewa.

      Also, included in the list, is a Sgt John Farr, who would be an
      ancestor of mine. I believe that I know who he has to be.
      1) Is it possible to retrieve further info on Sgt Farr? Would there
      be attestation papers for him?
      2) In order for him to be a Sgt, I take it that he would have to
      have some special qualifications to fill the rank? If so, can you
      pls relate what they would be? I know that there is a family
      relation between the McDonnell's and Farr's. Would his rank possibly
      just been assigned by Christian?

      Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance ...

      Mark Niagara