Re: [War Of 1812] Quotes

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 2, 2007
      Actually, that was said by a Ceylonese (Sri Lankan) politician as that
      island country was working towards independence. I guess if the Brits
      can steal the original quote, the Irish are welcome to that one :)
      Ray H
      XLI

      On 2-Mar-07, at 8:17 PM, Colin wrote:

      > I can only imagine some of you have seeen this coming but I had say it.
      > I attribute the quote to to a family member, but I can not recall
      > which one and I believe many other on this list of the Irish race can
      > attribute it to family members of their own, but it has always been
      > one of my favorites;
      >
      > "The sun never sets on the British Empire...Because God does not trust
      > them in the dark!"
      >
      > Sorry ..Had to. <-(I must be a repentant Fenian)
      >
      > Yrs
      > Colin Murphy
      > USS CON 1812MG

    • Peter Catley
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 6, 2007
        but Colin, which God :-)

        and the correct saying is "the sun has never set on the British Empire"
        although we would have to say that it has become the Confederation of
        the Commonwealth can any other Empire c;aim that? After all countries
        can come and go:-)

        Cheers now.

        P**