Re: [War Of 1812] Quotes

  • Colin
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 2, 2007
      I can only imagine some of you have seeen this coming but I had say it.
      I attribute the quote to to a family member, but I can not recall
      which one and I believe many other on this list of the Irish race can
      attribute it to family members of their own, but it has always been
      one of my favorites;

      "The sun never sets on the British Empire...Because God does not trust
      them in the dark!"

      Sorry ..Had to. <-(I must be a repentant Fenian)

      Yrs
      Colin Murphy
      USS CON 1812MG
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 2, 2007
        Murph that was your dad that said that!!

        KW

        _____

        I can only imagine some of you have seeen this coming but I had say it.
        I attribute the quote to to a family member,

      • Ray Hobbs
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 2, 2007
          Actually, that was said by a Ceylonese (Sri Lankan) politician as that
          island country was working towards independence. I guess if the Brits
          can steal the original quote, the Irish are welcome to that one :)
          Ray H
          XLI

          On 2-Mar-07, at 8:17 PM, Colin wrote:

          > I can only imagine some of you have seeen this coming but I had say it.
          > I attribute the quote to to a family member, but I can not recall
          > which one and I believe many other on this list of the Irish race can
          > attribute it to family members of their own, but it has always been
          > one of my favorites;
          >
          > "The sun never sets on the British Empire...Because God does not trust
          > them in the dark!"
          >
          > Sorry ..Had to. <-(I must be a repentant Fenian)
          >
          > Yrs
          > Colin Murphy
          > USS CON 1812MG

        • Peter Catley
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 6, 2007
            but Colin, which God :-)

            and the correct saying is "the sun has never set on the British Empire"
            although we would have to say that it has become the Confederation of
            the Commonwealth can any other Empire c;aim that? After all countries
            can come and go:-)

            Cheers now.

            P**