Re: [War Of 1812] Quotes

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 2, 2007
      The idea of an Empire on which the sun never sets only really came into vogue---and expression---in the late Victorian era, after the East India Company had given up its monopoly of India and the rush to seize colonial territories of the 1880-1900 period overwhelmed the free-trade-and-no-colonies thinking of the 1830s-1850s. I suspect---although better scholars than me will possibly disagree---that it is not really a mode of thought for our 1812-1814 focus.

      Vic Suthren
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 2, 2007
        Now, boyo, there's a proper scholar, look you...

        Vic
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 2, 2007
          I can only imagine some of you have seeen this coming but I had say it.
          I attribute the quote to to a family member, but I can not recall
          which one and I believe many other on this list of the Irish race can
          attribute it to family members of their own, but it has always been
          one of my favorites;

          "The sun never sets on the British Empire...Because God does not trust
          them in the dark!"

          Sorry ..Had to. <-(I must be a repentant Fenian)

          Yrs
          Colin Murphy
          USS CON 1812MG
        • Kevin Windsor
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 2, 2007
            Murph that was your dad that said that!!

            KW

            _____

            I can only imagine some of you have seeen this coming but I had say it.
            I attribute the quote to to a family member,

          • Ray Hobbs
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 2, 2007
              Actually, that was said by a Ceylonese (Sri Lankan) politician as that
              island country was working towards independence. I guess if the Brits
              can steal the original quote, the Irish are welcome to that one :)
              Ray H
              XLI

              On 2-Mar-07, at 8:17 PM, Colin wrote:

              > I can only imagine some of you have seeen this coming but I had say it.
              > I attribute the quote to to a family member, but I can not recall
              > which one and I believe many other on this list of the Irish race can
              > attribute it to family members of their own, but it has always been
              > one of my favorites;
              >
              > "The sun never sets on the British Empire...Because God does not trust
              > them in the dark!"
              >
              > Sorry ..Had to. <-(I must be a repentant Fenian)
              >
              > Yrs
              > Colin Murphy
              > USS CON 1812MG

            • Peter Catley
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 6, 2007
                but Colin, which God :-)

                and the correct saying is "the sun has never set on the British Empire"
                although we would have to say that it has become the Confederation of
                the Commonwealth can any other Empire c;aim that? After all countries
                can come and go:-)

                Cheers now.

                P**