Re: [War Of 1812] Lawyers and the War of 1812

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 27, 2007
      Good point Dale: My comment was in no way designed to cast aspersions
      on his character. To be fair, he was not shot deliberately by his men,
      or anyone else, but undoubtedly by accident. Stoney Creek was a
      confusing fight, to say the least. He was always a staff officer and
      never had field command.
      This was his only time in battle. His memorial, to no less a person
      than the Duke of York asking for promotion directly to Major, lists a
      number of other minor incidents which hardly count for anything
      militarily. One such incident is the rescue of a book on Theological
      Ethics from the burning library at Newark) in December 1813.
      As I said, his military career was quite undistinguished.
      Years later, in 1837 when he had been appointed Colonel of the Gore
      Militia by Maitland, he was itching to have a a go at the rebels in
      York. He died of pneumonia before he could make it to York.
      Best regards
      Ray H
      XLI