Re: Historical Weather Records

  • nappingcrow
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2007
      Unfortunately, there appear to be no formalized (or organized)
      historical weather records from the American side of the War of
      1812. You will have to investigate ships logs, diaries, letters, et
      cetera, for the geographical area and time period you are interested
      in, in order to find exactly what you are looking for. There was no
      organized National Weather Service at the time, military or civil. I
      believe the US War Department ordered military surgeons to begin
      keeping weather records in March of 1815 (?) but those records will
      be spotty at best, and don't apply directly to the war period.

      If you are looking for general data, the best bet may be the many
      graphical weather maps showing average temperatures for the
      continental US by the month. There are also calculators which will
      tell you the phase of the moon on a particular historical date (if
      you wish to see what the moonlight was available for a night action,
      for example).

      Best of luck,
      Brian Smith