New Member Introduction

  • infantry1812
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 24, 2007
      Hi All Alex from the Stoney Creek Battlefeild House-House Guard here
      (the RNR). Good to finaly be on the list.

      Cheers

      Alex
    • Susan Spencer
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 24, 2007
        Welcome, Alex! Always good to have another piper on board . . .

        I'm sure you'll enjoy it here . . . or at least you'll find it
        interesting! :-D

        -- Sioux

        infantry1812 wrote:

        > Hi All Alex from the Stoney Creek Battlefeild House-House Guard here
        > (the RNR). Good to finaly be on the list.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Alex

      • weeboopiper
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 23, 2007
          Hello everyone!

          My name is Susan and I'm from Hawaii. I am interested in all things naval.

          I'm sorry to say I'm not involved in any reenacting. The closest I've come to it, I suppose, is
          sailing on the Lynx (www.privateerlynx.org/about/mission.html)

          I run a website and forum which feature information about navies from about 1650 on to
          1850 or so (www.sailingnavies.com).

          I also play the great highland bagpipe (GHB). Are there any pipers here who play with a
          reenactment unit? I'd be interested in hearing about what that's like.

          Looking forward to learning more about the military side of things from this group.

          Regards,

          Susan
        • suthren@magma.ca
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 24, 2007
            Dear Susan

            Welcome to the 1812 re-enacting scene. The Privateer LYNX is a good hull-and-rig copy of the 1812-era American privateer of the same name which was taken by Royal Navy boats' crews at anchor in the Rappahannock in 1813, and which later served out of Halifax, Nova Scotia as HM Schooner MUSQUODOBIT. Her owner, WK Woods of the Big Island, meant her to be used in continuing re-enactment activity, and I gather has an ongoing 'pirate' program in the Kailua-Kona resort strip area each year. That might interest you, particularly as you have experience crewing in LYNX.

            The Crown Forces North American maintain a Naval Establishment which consists of individual and unit members, a flotilla of longboats and bateaux that take part in our events, backed by a squadron of sail training vessels which have allowed themselves to be listed as participant vessels, and which take part if their schedules allow. Membership in the Naval Establishment requires adherence to certrain clothing and dress regulations, and any on-water leadership rank requires actual seamanship skills, inasmuch as we operate on very real water with very real craft (and the dangers inherent in them).

            Shoudl you have an interest in becoming a member of the Naval Establishment (the British), or would like referral to some excellent USN re-enactors for the period, do let us know.

            Yours aye

            Victor Suthren

            Commodore pro tem
            Naval Establishment
            Crown Forces North America

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 24, 2007
              Hullo Susan...
              Welcome to the board...
              There is at least one other Piper out here in New Jersey. I periodically play for my WW2 unit, 7th Bn, The Black Watch, used to play with my Rev War 42d Royal Highland Regiment, and I'm in the middle of getting a Napoleonic 42nd kit together. Sooner or later I'll be bringing my Pipes to those events, too.
              There are 4-6 Pipers who regularly make the WW2 events here in the North-east US, and I see that there are a couple of Napoleonic era ones in Europe.
              The hard part about Piping in the earlier periods is the lack of real documentation, and the abundance of urban legend about uniforms, tunes, etc. For example, many tunes that we know today by a certain name had very different settings in the late 1700- early 1800s; some were even played only as Pibroch rather than as Ceol Beag. I've been trying to track down the red "music tartan" that may or may not have been worn by 42nd Pipers for as long as I've been re-enacting... and that's over 30 years! So information certainly does not come easy...
              There are a couple of Pipers over on the Scottish Living History and Re-enactor's Group at http://scotslhre.proboards88.com/index.cgi<http://scotslhre.proboards88.com/index.cgi>? ; we tend to share info over there... most has been on later eras, but that's only because no one has asked before.
              If I can be any help, please let me know...
              Aye,
              Iain

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 26, 2007
                Hi Victor,

                Thanks for the welcome!

                >Her owner, WK Woods of the Big Island, meant her to be used in continuing re-
                enactment activity, and I gather has an ongoing 'pirate' program in the Kailua-Kona resort
                strip area each year. That might interest you, particularly as you have experience crewing
                in LYNX.

                Yes, I've seen some of those pirate pics on the website. I'm not really into the "pirate thing"
                though. My actual experience is minimal (only a day sail and an overnight trip from Oahu
                to Kauai)...still very much a lubber and of no real use. :D I'll probably sign up for another
                one of the inter-island passages again this summer.

                > Shoudl you have an interest in becoming a member of the Naval Establishment (the
                British), or would like referral to some excellent USN re-enactors for the period, do let us
                know.

                Thank you for the information. I'm not sure how many people are interested in period
                naval re-enactment out here. I know of only one person. He was fortunate enough to sail
                on the Endeavour replica. The closest I got to that was playing the pipes (with a group
                from the pipeband I was with at the time) on deck for a group of dignitaries after the ship
                arrived at Honolulu harbor.

                Regards,

                Susan
              • weeboopiper
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 26, 2007
                  Hi Iain,

                  Thanks for the welcome!

                  > The hard part about Piping in the earlier periods is the lack of real documentation,
                  and the abundance of urban legend about uniforms, tunes, etc. For example, many tunes
                  that we know today by a certain name had very different settings in the late 1700- early
                  1800s; some were even played only as Pibroch rather than as Ceol Beag.

                  Yes, the lack of documentation is a problem. Personally, I love piobaireachd and I think it
                  would be wonderful if those tunes were played.

                  I've been looking for references to pipers on ships and have found only a few. If you (or
                  any one else here) know of any, I'd appreciate the information.

                  > There are a couple of Pipers over on the Scottish Living History and Re-enactor's
                  Group at http://scotslhre.proboards88.com/index.cgi<http://
                  scotslhre.proboards88.com/index.cgi>? ; we tend to share info over there... most has
                  been on later eras, but that's only because no one has asked before.

                  Thanks. I'll have a look at the group.

                  Regards,

                  Susan
                • HQ93rd@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 30, 2007
                    In a message dated 3/24/07 1:02:25 PM, iain51hdbw@... writes:
                    >     The hard part about Piping in the earlier periods is the lack of real
                    > documentation, and the abundance of urban legend about uniforms, tunes, etc.
                    > For example, many tunes that we know today by a certain name had very
                    > different settings in the late 1700- early 1800s; some were even played only as
                    > Pibroch rather than as Ceol Beag. I've been trying to track down the red "music
                    > tartan" that may or may not have been worn by 42nd Pipers for as long as I've
                    > been re-enacting... and that's over 30 years! So information certainly does
                    > not come easy...

                    And...no one ever bothers to contact us...

                    Lt Col oh who I am I just in charge of the friggin Worldwide Highland Brigade
                    93rd SHRoFLHU
                    www.93rdhighlanders.com
                    THE Thin Red Line

                  • jlischka
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 3, 2009
                      The name is Joe Lischka and I moved from the U.S. to Fort Erie,
                      Ontario four years ago as a brand new Loyalist. My interest in the War
                      of 1812 derives from the fact that my house is several hundred yards
                      from Old Fort Erie and directly under the path that English shot would
                      have taken from Battery No. 2 during the Siege of Fort Erie in 1814. I
                      spent last summer as a volunteer at the Old Fort in the role of
                      Commissary Officer and expect to fulfill the same role this summer,
                      and have been actively researching the history of John Warren, who was
                      Asst. Commissary Officer at the Fort from 1779 to 1813, as well as
                      Justice of the Peace, Customs Inspector, Immigration Officer, Road
                      Inspector, merchant, ferry operator, etc. and Lt. Colonel of the 3rd
                      Lincoln Militia. He was born in 1740, joined the King's 8th Regiment
                      of Foot sometime around 1756-58, and mustered out at Fort Niagara in
                      1779 after a noteworthy career as a drum major in the 8th.

                      My principal interest in the period is not so much in the military
                      aspects but in civilian and commercial life of the times. Fort Erie
                      played an active and important role in the fur trade and in commercial
                      traffic along the Niagara and on Lake Erie.

                      Also have been dabbling in sutlering as Joseph the Chandler, making
                      and selling candles and lanterns, so far only at the Fort Erie
                      reenactment last summer. Don't know how successful that will be.
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 3, 2009
                        Welcome Joe

                        Visit
                        United States Forces 1812
                        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                        Crown Forces North America 1812
                        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                        WAR Of 1812 Events

                        Sutlers & Merchants
                        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com/sutlersmerchants

                        1812/2009 Grand Tactical Webpages
                        http://www.cryslersfarm.com
                        http://1812grandtactical.tripod.com
                        Annual War of 1812 Grand Tactical
                        July 11-12, 2009 Crysler's Farm
                        Morrisburg, Ontario, Canada

                        And the Archives (Messages) of this Yahoo Group
                        at
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WarOf1812

                        To bring you up to speed

                        Yrs.,

                        Larry Lozon (L2)
                        Upper Canada (Ontario)

                        --- Joe Lischka wrote:

                        "The name is Joe Lischka and I moved from the U.S. to Fort Erie,
                        Ontario four years ago ..."
                      • indyleaguesgraveyard
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 1, 2010
                          Hello everyone,

                          Having failed to read the email that I should introduce myself in my first posting to the group, I now send my second post to do just that.

                          My name is Kevin McCann, and I am finishing a biography of a one-term congressman from Tennessee named Adam Huntsman. (He is known for defeating David Crockett in his last congressional campaign, after which he left for Texas and the rest is history.) He lost a leg during the War of 1812 and wore a wooden peg leg the rest of his life. (Under what circumstances he lost the leg has long been a mystery; the most logical seems to be that he served in John Williams' filibuster to East Florida in the winter of 1812-13.)

                          I've recently become interested in the War of 1812, but it was a question that prompted me to join this group. (Please see my earlier posting on the Massachusetts Militia.) I hope a few of you can help answer this query and set me in the right direction.

                          I look forward to reading the discussions!

                          Thank you,

                          Kevin McCann
                        • jmgallen1812
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 2, 2011
                            Jim Yaworsky invited me to introduce myself so here goes.

                            I am an amateur historian, living in St. Louis, who thinks often of President Reagan's warning in his Farewell Address:

                            "So, we've got to teach history based not on what's in fashion but what's important -- why the Pilgrims came here, who Jimmy Doolittle was, and what those 30 seconds over Tokyo meant... If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are. I'm warning of an eradication of the American memory that could result, ultimately, in an erosion of the American spirit. Let's start with some basics: more attention to American history and a greater emphasis on civic ritual."

                            I have always been interested in history. Over the past ten years or so I have not only studied history but have attempted to help others to remember what we did and know who we are by teaching one night continuing ed classes through our local community college. My history interests have been general and not specific to the War of 1812. I do plan to offer a class on the War during the Bicentennial period. I will be watching the postings for anything that will enhance my knowledge about the War so that I will be ready when the time comes. I do not know how much I will contribute to the discussions, but I do plan on reading some books about the war and could post links to my Amazon reviews if other members would be interested.

                            I will be looking forward to the postings and may surprise myself and others with some postings of my own.

                            Jim Gallen
                          • Tom Hurlbut
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 2, 2011
                              Welcome Jim!

                              I'm certain you'll have much to offer!

                              Long Live the Republic!

                              "Major" Tom

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 2, 2011
                                Tom,
                                Thanks!
                                One thing I can contribute is a link to my Aamzon review of The War of 1812: A Forgotten Conflict by Donald R. Hickey:
                                http://www.amazon.com/War-1812-FORGOTTEN-CONFLICT/dp/0252060598/ref=cm_lmf_tit_27
                                Jim Gallen

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 3, 2011
                                  Joel

                                  Also consider Gilbert Collins book "Guidebook to the Historic Sites of the War of 1812" published in 1998 by the Dundurn Press (www.dundurn.com). My paperback copy has lots of stickies marking pages of places I want to visit:):)

                                  Jeff

                                  "If we are to go forward, we must first look back." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
                                • Colonel
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 5, 2011
                                    Jim,
                                    I do hope you will offer that course on the War of 1812, and also hope other instructors will do the same. However, your struggle against ignorance on the subject will be very trying.
                                    I just retired from teaching History in a South Carolina High School last May and, along with many other frustrations that go along with such a career, let me share this concerning the War of 1812.
                                    The current US History text used by most of the schools in the state allow for six short paragraphs on the entire war. If you take away the map and assessment questions on the two pages used, you are left, in actuality, one page of text covering the conflict. The three main topics covered in a few sentences are the War in Canada, the burning of Washington, and the Battle of New Orleans. Baltimore is mentioned in a "balloon" on the map ---"Baltimore, Sept. 12-14, British fail to capture city and withdraw from Chesapeake Bay in October." The Star Spangled Banner and Ft. McHenry are not mentioned at all and most of my students had never heard of Francis Scott Key, not to mention all of the other heroes on both sides who served.
                                    I am afraid that what President Reagan warned of has already happened with the blessings of too many school systems. A large part of the problem is due to the fact that in Sourth Carolina some people in control of curriculum still believe that the entire history of the United States can be effectively taught in ONE SEMESTER, 90 SCHOOL DAYS! Whe one starts subtracting test days, extra school programs, broken sequencing from holidays, teacher workdays, or weather related school closings, it is not surprising that an entire generation knows very little about where they come from or what their predecessors have done.
                                    Again,I wish you all good fortune in your endeavors and hope you may inspire other instructors to also start programs such as you intend.

                                    Tom Moore

                                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "jmgallen1812" <JMGallen@...> wrote:

                                    > Jim Yaworsky invited me to introduce myself so here goes.
                                    >
                                    > I am an amateur historian, living in St. Louis, who thinks often of President Reagan's warning in his Farewell Address:
                                    >
                                    > "So, we've got to teach history based not on what's in fashion but what's important -- why the Pilgrims came here, who Jimmy Doolittle was, and what those 30 seconds over Tokyo meant... If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are. I'm warning of an eradication of the American memory that could result, ultimately, in an erosion of the American spirit. Let's start with some basics: more attention to American history and a greater emphasis on civic ritual."
                                    >
                                    > I have always been interested in history. Over the past ten years or so I have not only studied history but have attempted to help others to remember what we did and know who we are by teaching one night continuing ed classes through our local community college. My history interests have been general and not specific to the War of 1812. I do plan to offer a class on the War during the Bicentennial period. I will be watching the postings for anything that will enhance my knowledge about the War so that I will be ready when the time comes. I do not know how much I will contribute to the discussions, but I do plan on reading some books about the war and could post links to my Amazon reviews if other members would be interested.
                                    >
                                    > I will be looking forward to the postings and may surprise myself and others with some postings of my own.
                                    >
                                    > Jim Gallen

                                  • Charlie Quesenberry
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 5, 2011
                                      That is sobering news, to say the very very least. It makes what we all do
                                      so much more than a hobby.

                                    • jmgallen@juno.com
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 5, 2011
                                        Tom,
                                        Thanks for your encouragement.
> [...]

                                        > I have always been interested in history. Over the past ten years or so I have not only studied history but have attempted to help others to remember what we did and know who we are by teaching one night continuing ed classes through our local community college. My history interests have been general and not specific to the War of 1812. I do plan to offer a class on the War during the Bicentennial period. I will be watching the postings for anything that will enhance my knowledge about the War so that I will be ready when the time comes. I do not know how much I will contribute to the discussions, but I do plan on reading some books about the war and could post links to my Amazon reviews if other members would be interested.
                                        >
                                        > I will be looking forward to the postings and may surprise myself and others with some postings of my own.

                                      • ONeil
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 23, 2011
                                          To Jim Yaworsky and all 1812ers

                                          I joined the group last night. I'm a writer with a degree in European History. Most of my books are mysteries, however, my newest is an historical novel, BATTLE KISS, an epic story of love and war set around the Battle of New Orleans. Its huge (320,000 words). My web site is www.oneildnoux.com

                                          Look forward to discussions about The War of 1812.