British Drill Manual

    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 11, 1999
      From: "Kevin Windsor" <kwind25@...>

      I understand that there is a drill manual that has been prepared for
      Waterloo. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of it

      Kevin:

      It is not the " Waterloo Drill Manual ", but was the drill that the British North American Regiment used in Waterloo in 1955.

      A million years ago a man by the name of Barry Sandler, then commander of The King's Regiment in the Canadas (8th Regt.)
      organized the re-enactment groups in the Great Lakes Basin into a larger unit known as the British North American Regiment and we all went to Waterloo. To make sure this Regiment was all using the same drill, Barry gave them all a copy of the manual he was using in his unit. Barry retired from the hobby a year or so ago and asked Steve Hartwick to carry on in his absence, as the British North American Regiment's Field Commander. Steve Hartwick would be the person to contact for a copy of this manual.

      Steve Hartwick email Address is
      shartwic@...

      Larry
    • Robert E. van Patten
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 11, 1999
        Larry, do you know that netiquette has it that anyone who uses caps, much less oversize type boldface is doing the equivalent of yelling? We can hear you just fine without that.
        It is not the " Waterloo Drill Manual ", but was the drill that the British North American Regiment used in Waterloo in 1955.

        A million years ago a man by the name of Barry Sandler, then commander of The King's Regiment in the Canadas (8th Regt.)
        organized the re-enactment groups in the Great Lakes Basin into a larger unit known as the British North American Regiment and we all went to Waterloo. To make sure this Regiment was all using the same drill, Barry gave them all a copy of the manual he was using in his unit. Barry retired from the hobby a year or so ago and asked Steve Hartwick to carry on in his absence, as the British North American Regiment's Field Commander. Steve Hartwick would be the person to contact for a copy of this manual.
      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 11, 1999
          Larry, I think you mean 1990, and it was Andy that organized it! I love Barry but I believe in credit where it's due, and I think you'll find that Barry agrees.In the same vein Barry was our "Brigade Major" at Waterloo in '90 and '95 and in my experience there is no better.
          GSTK! Craig.
          the drill that the British North American Regiment used in Waterloo in 1955.

          A million years ago a man by the name of Barry Sandler, organized the re-enactment groups in the Great Lakes Basin into a larger unit known as the British North American Regiment and we all went to Waterloo
          Larry
        • Barry Sandler
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 12, 1999
            Craig is correct ... Andy Weston was the guy who organized the trip, and
            much credit to him for doing so.

            The British manual of the period is an large volume in 4 parts ponderously
            named:

            The Rules and Regulations for the Formations, Maneuvres, and Field Excerise
            of His Majesty's Forces. I forget the exact date of issue, but it was
            something like 1798. It was based on Sir David Dundas, proposal submitted
            to the Commader in Chief and sought to correct some of the failings in the
            British Manuevre made evident by various campaigns of the late 1700's.

            The four parts deal with the Recruit, the Company, the Battalion, and the
            Line. The Manual and Platoon Excerise was published as a separate volume.

            A Serjeant's abstract was published in 1806 (I think, I may have the exact
            date wrong, and I am sure I will be corrected shortly). This volume contains
            the section on the Recruit (Verbatim), The Company (Verbatim), and abstract
            on the essential points of the Battalion and Line as application to Senior
            NCO's to whom it was issued. It also contained the Manual and Platoon
            Excerise and some short sections on Light Infantry Drill and Funerals.

            Tom Arnold, Craig, and Myself spent a long winter at Fort York (a long time
            ago, in a galaxy far far away) comparing the wording in all the various
            editions and Tim is correct, they are virtualling identical (some minor
            points re: two vs. three ranks, and some changes in the positions of arms,
            etc.)

            There are also a number of privately published volumes (by various officers)
            re: commentaries on the drill, and suggests as to how to implement in your
            battalion. Surprisingly, many of these volumes are available in the Toronto
            Reference Library.

            Several years ago, Jason Everrit (Captain, IMUC) and I copied may of these
            works. Steve Hartwick, in turn made copies of most of these works. I have
            put a copy of the Serjeant's abstract on Microsoft Word. I am prepared to
            send someone a soft copy provided it is strictly understood that you can't
            use my work for commercial purposes. We will as a matter of course make a
            hard copy available to anyone who likes one.

            Richard Glover's work, Pennisular Preparation, is a very good treatise on
            the changes the British Army went through in terms of organzation, drill,
            etc. prior to the Pennisular War. There is a large section on drill manuals
            and training.

            Hope all of this helps, and I appologize for mistakes in titles and
            Authour's names.

            Barry Sandler

            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 12, 1999
              Well it just so happens that I have a copy of this!! This makes my life so
              much easier. Thanks to all who responded. Sorry Barry I can't correct you
              on the date because I have lent the book to someone in my unit, but when I
              get it back..... ;-)
              Thanks
              kev

              ----------
              The British manual of the period is an large volume in 4 parts ponderously
              named:

              The Rules and Regulations for the Formations, Maneuvres, and Field Excerise
              of His Majesty's Forces.
            • sgtsalmo
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
                My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st Royal
                Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph. This
                is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
                with American Civil War since 2000.

                I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
                (1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor of a
                bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket size
                copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to while
                the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information sponge
                and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
                manuals themselves.

                many thanks, Doug Clark
              • Kevin Windsor
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
                  Hi Doug and welcome to the ranks of the grannies! (Too bad you had to join
                  a lower numbered Grenadier company!)

                  As for the drill manual, it would be more authentic for you to NOT have one
                  (though they are great things to have!).

                  As a private you would either not know how to read (unless of course you
                  were in the 93rd ~smart guys, they wear trews! ~) or, if you could, wouldn’t
                  be trusted to be able to interpret the contents without instructions from
                  your serjeants! (and you wouldn’t want to keep it in your haversack, that
                  is for food)

                  With all of that being said, though, I would encourage you to get one! It
                  never hurts. The originals are not ~pocket~ sized, though, they are 5 1/4”
                  (W) x 8 ½” (L). If you are handy with book binding (or know someone who is)
                  Google books has a scanned copy of the 1807, you can print that off and bind
                  it. The original 1834 edition that I have at the Museum is grey/blue,
                  though my suspicion is that it was Prussian blue, ordinance blue (whatever
                  you want to call it).

                  Hope this helps and drop by and meet the OTHER grenadiers at Longwoods!

                  Kevin Windsor

                  Grenadier Coy, 89th Reg’t

                  _____

                  From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                  Of sgtsalmo

                • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
                    In a message dated 1/9/2008 9:54:28 AM Central Standard Time,
                    kevin.windsor@... writes:

                    The original 1834 edition that I have at the Museum is grey/blue,
                    though my suspicion is that it was Prussian blue, ordinance blue (whatever
                    you want to call it).

                    -----------------

                    I have several late 18th, early 19th century manuals and the original
                    bindings (from edgertons) are a blue-gray paper for the boards with a light
                    gray/white paper spine and white printed label on the spine. Obviously the idea was
                    the officer would (naturaly) take the volume to his binder and havit leather
                    bound to match the other books in his library or have a more substantial
                    binding done for use on service. I have both full and half leather bindings of
                    this sort.

                  • Mark Bevis
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
                      anyone know about this: **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489 it is appearing on all the emails i receive from several yahoo groups, this or another one about celebreties. Is it Yahoo that has been hijacked, or my pc?Mark Bevis
                    • Mark Bevis
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
                        AND when i send an email to a yahoo group, this appears

                        Free games, great prizes - get gaming at Gamesbox. http://www.searchgamesbox.com
                        https://www.celebmashup.com

                      • Kevin Garrett
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "sgtsalmo" <sgtsalmo@...> wrote:

                          > My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st
                          Royal
                          > Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph.
                          This
                          > is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
                          > with American Civil War since 2000.
                          >
                          > I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
                          > (1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor
                          of a
                          > bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket
                          size
                          > copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to
                          while
                          > the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information
                          sponge
                          > and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
                          > manuals themselves.
                          >
                          > many thanks, Doug Clark

                          Doug,

                          Ya'll should ask your good buddy in unit QM for that first. Eric
                          Molier has printed up a good version and I believe I have one to
                          lend if you like!

                          Kevin Garrett
                          QM 1st Bn 1st Foot Gren Coy.
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
                            Doug:

                            I suggest you contact

                            1st (Royal Scots) Regt
                            Grenadier Company
                            Hal Dennison
                            hdennison (at) rogers.com

                            He will tell you what you need to know

                            All unit Commanders and NCOs are encouraged to attend the Crown Forces
                            School of Instruction held yearly at Fort York. They then return to
                            their Units and teach the correct drill to them.

                            The Drill currently being used by the Crown Forces North America is
                            the "Regimental Companion for 1811"

                            The drill manual is available for download in PDF format from
                            http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com
                            in the links section under Muskets and Drill.

                            Hope this helps

                            Yrs.,
                            L2

                            Doug Clark wrote:

                            British Drill Manual

                            My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st Royal
                            Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph. This
                            is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
                            with American Civil War since 2000.

                            I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
                            (1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor of a
                            bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket size
                            copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to while
                            the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information sponge
                            and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
                            manuals themselves.

                            many thanks,
                            Doug Clark
                          • Dave Westhouse
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
                              He did.

                              I suggested he introduce himself to the list and ask if there
                              actually was a reprint copy of the drill manual we use to purchase.
                              Maybe someone had found a place for them or already exhausted the
                              research and found that there wasn't. We do have the manual on our
                              website and it can be printed from there but an actual book is
                              sometimes far nicer.

                              Doug has been at it for a while and we referred him to this list to
                              read more and see what others are saying. Hopefully it's constructive.

                              Dave Westhouse,
                              1st (Royal Scots) Regiment.

                              British Drill Manual

                              Doug:

                              I suggest you contact

                              1st (Royal Scots) Regt
                              Grenadier Company
                              Hal Dennison
                              hdennison (at) rogers.com

                              He will tell you what you need to know

                              All unit Commanders and NCOs are encouraged to attend the Crown Forces
                              School of Instruction held yearly at Fort York. They then return to
                              their Units and teach the correct drill to them.

                              The Drill currently being used by the Crown Forces North America is
                              the "Regimental Companion for 1811"

                              The drill manual is available for download in PDF format from
                              http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com
                              in the links section under Muskets and Drill.

                              Hope this helps

                              Yrs.,
                              L2

                              British Drill Manual

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 9, 2008
                                Better check the website L2. The pdf version that is on the site is Rules
                                and Regs 1816 (though it's identical to 1811 and 1834!) and I do believe
                                that is what he said he had.

                                KW/89

                                _____

                                .

                                http://www.royalsco <http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com> tsgrenadiers.com

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 10, 2008
                                  Mr. Windsor

                                  Being a member of the 1st (Royal Scots) Regt. (Grenadier Company)

                                  I am sure Mr. Dennison (his Commander) will teach the soldier the
                                  correct drill

                                  Yrs.,
                                  L2

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 11, 2008
                                    Kevin:

                                    Thank you for the response. I have a cerlox bound copy but I am a
                                    sucker for hard bound books.

                                    I recognise that a British pvt in 19th century would not have had
                                    his nose in a drill manual, but my couriosity on the how's and why's
                                    just gets the better of me. I am also one of the rare breed that
                                    enjoys drill - just ask my pards in Civil War (I am their 1st
                                    sergeant). Perfection in drill makes for a better impression.

                                    Is the 1834 edition that you have, the same drill but just published
                                    later?

                                    Doug

                                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
                                    <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Doug and welcome to the ranks of the grannies! (Too bad you
                                    had to join
                                    > a lower numbered Grenadier company!)
                                    >

                                    > As for the drill manual, it would be more authentic for you to NOT
                                    have one
                                    > (though they are great things to have!).
                                    >

                                    > As a private you would either not know how to read (unless of
                                    course you
                                    > were in the 93rd ~smart guys, they wear trews! ~) or, if you
                                    could, wouldn't
                                    > be trusted to be able to interpret the contents without
                                    instructions from
                                    > your serjeants! (and you wouldn't want to keep it in your
                                    haversack, that
                                    > is for food)
                                    >

                                    > With all of that being said, though, I would encourage you to get
                                    one! It
                                    > never hurts. The originals are not ~pocket~ sized, though, they
                                    are 5 1/4"
                                    > (W) x 8 ½" (L). If you are handy with book binding (or know
                                    someone who is)
                                    > Google books has a scanned copy of the 1807, you can print that
                                    off and bind
                                    > it. The original 1834 edition that I have at the Museum is
                                    grey/blue,
                                    > though my suspicion is that it was Prussian blue, ordinance blue
                                    (whatever
                                    > you want to call it).
                                    >

                                    > Hope this helps and drop by and meet the OTHER grenadiers at
                                    Longwoods!

                                    > Kevin Windsor
                                    >
                                    > Grenadier Coy, 89th Reg't
                                    >

                                    > _____
                                    >
                                    > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
                                    On Behalf
                                    > Of sgtsalmo
                                    >

                                    > My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st
                                    Royal
                                    > Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph.
                                    This
                                    > is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
                                    > with American Civil War since 2000.
                                    >
                                    > I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
                                    > (1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor
                                    of a
                                    > bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket
                                    size
                                    > copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to
                                    while
                                    > the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information
                                    sponge
                                    > and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
                                    > manuals themselves.
                                    >
                                    > many thanks, Doug Clark

                                  • Kevin Windsor
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 11, 2008
                                      Not really the same drill, but it didn't really change much. They added a
                                      few things to it, but most of the wording is identical!
                                      BTW I have sent your Cpl a copy of the 1807 drill manual so bug him for it!!

                                      The King's Press http://www.kingspress.com/ doesn't sell it, but maybe if
                                      there was enough interest they would bind one?

                                      KW/89

                                      >From: "sgtsalmo" <sgtsalmo@...>
                                      >
                                      >Kevin:
                                      >
                                      >Thank you for the response. I have a cerlox bound copy but I am a
                                      >sucker for hard bound books.
                                      >
                                      >I recognise that a British pvt in 19th century would not have had
                                      >his nose in a drill manual, but my couriosity on the how's and why's
                                      >just gets the better of me. I am also one of the rare breed that
                                      >enjoys drill - just ask my pards in Civil War (I am their 1st
                                      >sergeant). Perfection in drill makes for a better impression.
                                      >
                                      >Is the 1834 edition that you have, the same drill but just published
                                      >later?
                                      >
                                      >Doug
                                    • MHS
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 13, 2008
                                        Dear Doug,

                                        McFarthingbowl's Re-enactment Supplies in Belgium sell a bound copy:

                                        Rules and Regulations for the Manual and Platoon Exercises,

                                        Formations, Field-Exercise, and Movements of His Majesty's

                                        Forces 1807. Facsimile ? 25,00

                                        Its not a period binding but officers would have had their copy bound professionally to withstand the rigours of campaign. It may not be historically correct for a private to posses one but you could always claim to have "liberated it from an Officer who no longer needed it" ;-)

                                        e-mail: info@...
                                        www.re-enactmentshop.com

                                        Mc Farthingbowl's
                                        Re-enactment Supplies
                                        Tel./fax: 0032 (0)14 716783
                                        Ravels, Belgium
                                        BTW/VAT: BE 501 480 102

                                        Mise le meas,
                                        Barry Walsh, Cpt. 86th Foot

                                        Barry Walsh
                                        86th (Leinster) Regiment of Foot
                                        Lord Edward's Own Re-enactment Group
                                        www.kildare.ie/monasterevin-historical-society/reenenactment
                                        e-mail: monhistsoc@...

                                        Doug Clark wrote:

                                        >My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st Royal
                                        >Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph. This
                                        >is my first year in 1812 re-enacting, however I have been involved
                                        >with American Civil War since 2000.
                                        >
                                        >I have a pdf version of the Drill Manual for His Majesty's Forces
                                        >(1816), however I was wondering if there is a publisher or vendor of a
                                        >bound version of this manual. It is always nice to have a pocket size
                                        >copy in your haversack or foot locker for bedtime reading or to while
                                        >the hours under a shady tree. Right now I am big information sponge
                                        >and want to learn the "right" ways to do things from the original
                                        >manuals themselves.
                                        >
                                        >many thanks, Doug Clark

                                      • Dave Westhouse
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 14, 2008
                                          Thank you. That is what I believe we are looking for.

                                          Dave Westhouse,
                                          1st(Royal Scots) Regiment, Grenadier Co.
                                          British North America.

                                          Re:British Drill Manual