Update on reenacting member, Pauline Grondin (Re: previous surgery)

  • P Grondin
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23 3:13 PM
      Hi everyone,

      I'm writing this message to the 1812 group on behalf of my mom -
      Pauline - but I am infact her daughter Robyn Kennedy!

      Some of you may previously know about my mom's surgery that she had
      last Friday but I have been overwhelmed with e-mails and such from
      the reenacting community (trust me, it's nice to know people
      care :)!) and someone suggested this may be an easier way to let
      everyone in on the updates especailly since I'm sure I'm missing some
      people that would like to know.

      For those of you that are wondering who the heck Pauline is, she is
      an occasional merchant, musician with her singing partner Diane
      Kennedy and an "honorary" member of a number of reenacting units.

      As of last Friday my mom had a knee replacement done. For those of
      you that know Pauline, you know how awful her knee's are and how bad
      her limping has been the last few years.

      The recovery process itself is proving to be quite difficult. After
      being quite ill the first 48 hours, the bend in her knee is not
      improving very significantly - but it IS improving. As of Tuesday she
      had only just begun to get out of bed, of course with much help from
      nurses and a walker and only little bits of movement at the time.

      Unfortunatly we have gone from bad to worse, this morning my mom
      suffered a minor heart attack. They are still unsure as to what
      caused it but her heart was beating incredibly erraticly and nit was
      a little difficult to control for a while. Most likely it was stress
      induced.
      She is currently in the ICU (Intensive Care Unit) under Coronary care
      at Oakville Trafalger Hospital. The doctors are keeping a very close
      watch on her but I was in to see her today and she was awake and very
      chatty despite all the medications and procedures that are being
      done. Apparently you can't break this woman's spirit!

      For those that are interested, please contact me offline via my own
      personal e-mail...many have been asking for her mailing address at
      the hospital, potential visiting hours, phone number etc. so please
      feel free to contact me and I can set you up with all that
      information.

      I want to thank those of you who have so far offered your well
      wishing and support, as most of our immediate family lives in
      Northern Ireland, members of our reenacting community become much
      like our extended family and I have seen such a great outpour from
      everyone this last week.
      Thank you from both my Mom AND I.

      Sorry for the lengthy message and like I said, please feel free to
      contact me personally for more information.

      Regards,

      Robyn Kennedy - US 25th Infantry (amongst others...)
      robyn_k87@...
    • Judie Glen
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 25 8:02 AM
        Wishing Pauline a full recovery asap! Sad to hear about the
        complications, but nice to hear Pauline is keeping her spirits up.
        Hugs,
        Judie and Family