Re: On This Day 16 January 1809

  • Anne Woodley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 1999
      ----------
      >From: "IX Regt." <ixreg@...>

      > The Battle of Corunna.
      >
      > On this day 16 January 1809 the exhausted British army commanded by Sir
      > John Moore and the equally worn out French army under Marshal Soult
      > faced each other in Galica outside the northern Spanish town of La
      > Corunna in the ensuring battle approximately 1000 men from each army
      > died.

      Thanks for posting that. I had read the personal but inadequate account of
      the retreat but the account you gave was much fuller thank you. The thing
      that struck me about it was how demoralising it was for the troops.
      Apparently there was universal despondency because they had fought so hard
      to gain the ground, and now had to retreat - fast. And secondly they had to
      negotiate mountain passes in the retreat - so it was really bleak going.

      Anne