Groundhog Day

  • larrylozon
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2007
      Today is Groundhog Day!

      ~ Punxsutawney Phil [USA]
      ~ Wiarton Willy [Canada]

      Groundhog Day is a North American tradition celebrated on February
      2nd each year. On this day the groundhog, or woodchuck, comes out of
      his hole after winter hibernation to look for his shadow.

      If he sees his shadow this means six more weeks of bad weather,
      if he does not see his shadow that means spring is coming soon.

      Neither groundhogs saw their shadow so Spring is on it's way

      To: learn more go to:
      http://www.emotionscards.com/otherholidays/groundhogday.html

      --------------

      As for the War of 1812

      No one won the War . . .
      the boundaries went set where they always were

      One race lost the War . . .
      the Indians never received recognitionin the treaty

      Britain/Canada and USA fought till the Treaty was ratified

      Bye the way,

      The Crown Forces LOST the Battle of New Orleans!
      History recorded this . . .
      Everything else is fantasy

      What if, should of could of, all fantasy

      Great coats! that's what we need . . warm Great Coats!

      Yrs.,
      L2
    • James Yaworsky
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2007
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "larrylozon" <larrylozon@...> wrote:

        > Today is Groundhog Day!
        >
        > ~ Punxsutawney Phil [USA]
        > ~ Wiarton Willy [Canada]
        >

        > Groundhog Day is a North American tradition celebrated on February
        > 2nd each year. On this day the groundhog, or woodchuck, comes out of
        > his hole after winter hibernation to look for his shadow.
        >
        > If he sees his shadow this means... [etc. - big snip]
        >

        > As for the War of 1812
        >
        > No one won the War . . . [and further vague generalities - snip]
        > Yrs.,
        > L2

        Nice save, L2! You *sort of* got your original "groundhog day"
        message back "on topic" for a War of 1812 discussion group...

        Jim the Moderator
      • larrylozon
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2007
          "James Yaworsky" wrote:

          Nice save, L2! You *sort of* got your original "groundhog day"
          message back "on topic" for a War of 1812 discussion group...

          Jim the Moderator

          Sir:

          According to
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_day

          Around the fifth century, the European Celts believed that animals
          had certain supernatural powers on special days that were half-way
          between the Winter Solstice and Spring Equinox.

          Folklore from Germany and France indicated that when marmots and
          bears came out of their winter dens too early, they were frightened
          by their shadow and retreated back inside for four to six weeks

          In the U.S. the tradition derives from a Scottish poem:

          As the light grows longer
          The cold grows stronger
          If Candlemas be fair and bright
          Winter will have another flight
          If Candlemas be cloud and rain
          Winter will be gone and not come again
          A farmer should on Candlemas day
          Have half his corn and half his hay
          On Candlemas day if thorns hang a drop
          You can be sure of a good pea crop

          This tradition also stems from similar beliefs associated with
          Candlemas Day

          Since postings of the French and Indian War, the War of American
          Independence, the American Civil War and modern politics have been
          posted to this group I figured a posting of "Groundhog Day" was
          acceptable.

          If not .. .
          I apologize to all

          Yrs.,