War of 1812 commemoration

  • J.Bruce Whittaker
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23 8:15 AM
      Greetings List,
      This is just a "heads up" regarding a War of 1812 commemoration idea.
      My local MPP, Julia Munro, is interested in putting together a
      commemoration commission composed of interested parties: reenactors,
      historians, museum workers etc. who would be interested in supplying
      their input and ideas that would help in the formulation of a private
      members bill for a War of 1812 Commemoration of some sort. I just got
      off the phone with the MPPs executive assistant who told me of the idea
      and I will be contacted with more details later today or tommorrow
      morning after he speaks further with Ms. Munro. Granted private members
      bills seldom get passed but Ms. Munro believes this is important and
      with our help it may have a chance. I have met Ms. Munro many times and
      she is a passionate supporter of Ontario's heritage and history. This
      could be a great opportunity to be able to do something for the 1812
      community & events, historic sites and museums and tourism in Ontario.
      I will post more details as they are given to me.
      Best regards,
      Bruce Whittaker
    • larrylozon
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 23 8:55 AM
        "J.Bruce Whittaker" wrote:

        " This is just a "heads up" regarding a War of 1812 commemoration idea.
        My local MPP, Julia Munro . . . she is a passionate supporter of
        Ontario's heritage and history. . . ."

        What city would this be in or near ?

        Yrs.,
        L2
      • J.Bruce Whittaker
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 23 11:09 AM
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "larrylozon" <larrylozon@...> wrote:

          > What city would this be in or near ?
          >
          > Yrs.,
          > L2

          My apologies,
          Mrs. Munro represents the riding of York North which covers northern
          York Region and I believe parts of Durham Region in Ontario, Canada.
          The riding is north of Toronto, Canada. I think this initiative of Ms.
          Munro's goes beyond any one particular riding and is important to all
          of Ontario and of particular importance to the geographic areas that
          experienced the War of 1812 first hand. This list has many knowlegable
          members who would be an asset to Mrs. Munro's initiative.
          Best regards,
          Bruce Whittaker
        • Ian Gardner

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 20, 2007
              Greetings List,
              Here is a copy of a letter I received from my MPP regarding her
              efforts in promoting a War of 1812 commemoration in Ontario, Canada.
              For those members who do not live in Ontario please bear with me. To
              those members who posted replies about initiatives in their areas, I
              forwarded them to Mrs. Munro. If all the interested groups work
              together there is a strong chance of a successful bicentennial. This
              initiative of Mrs. Munro could have a beneficial impact on all
              geographic areas where the war was fought.
              Best regards,
              Bruce Whittaker

              February 15, 2007

              Dear Friend:

              Re: War of 1812 Bicentennial Commemoration
              As the Ontario PC Party Critic for Culture I am very conscious of the
              need to preserve and recognize our history and heritage. An important
              historical landmark that will be coming up soon is the bicentennial
              of the War of 1812. The Ontario government must take steps now to
              properly commemorate the anniversary. Our commemoration must honour
              those who fought and gave their lives and it must act as an
              educational tool to teach about the war and its importance to our
              history. We should use the bicentennial as an opportunity to promote
              the many historical sites and events of the war for both Ontarians
              and visitors.

              To govern the commemoration, I intend to introduce a resolution in
              the Ontario Legislature to establish a War of 1812 Bicentennial
              Commission. This body would be composed of private citizens who wish
              to use their knowledge and expertise to advise the Ontario government
              as to the best methods to commemorate the war.

              I am enclosing with this letter a draft of my resolution. To make it
              as effective as possible, I am seeking your advice about its
              provisions and the composition of the commission. I would like to
              know which events of the war you feel should be priorities for
              commemoration and how best to make the commemoration of the war a
              success.

              Please contact me before March 14, 2007 by letter, email or phone
              with any thoughts or advice you would like to provide. My email
              address is julia.munro@.... I would also be happy to meet in
              person at Queen's Park. I look forward to working with you and to the
              introduction of a resolution that leads to a successful commemoration
              of this important event in our history.

              Sincerely,

              Julia Munro, MPP
              York North

              WAR OF 1812 BICENTENNIAL COMMEMORATION

              DRAFT RESOLUTION

              I move that, in the opinion of this House, the government of Ontario
              should establish an independent commission to devise and carry out a
              plan for the commemoration of the bicentennial of the War of 1812;
              that this commission should include among its members representatives
              of groups dedicated to the preservation of Canada's military history
              and heritage as well as representatives of Ontario communities that
              are the sites of battles or other significant events of the war; and
              that the government of Ontario should work with the government of
              Canada and other governments to commemorate the War of 1812 during
              its bicentennial and afterwards as an important tourism and
              educational experience.
            • Dave Westhouse
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 28, 2007
                Greetings again,

                Received today the same letter as Bruce did from the same MPP
                although she is not mine. I blanket emailed many in the government as
                many suggested.

                Now what do you say to this? Lots of comments so far, but what is the
                government to do to support the bicentenial?

                There have been many battles or events suggested that don't even
                exist today. Who would hold them or want to?

                I have to ponder what I would say to her. So far I don't see a
                consensus amongst ourselves as to what to do. Most of us are just
                hobbiests and not in the trade of historical sites or tourism except
                a few who I will not name. The major sites that were 1812 and
                currently hold events should recieve addtional help to make a good
                show of it in my mind.

                I'll ponder this one and continue to read on.

                Dave Westhouse,
                1st (Royal Scots) Regiment.

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "J.Bruce Whittaker" <ortheris@...>