Re: Set agenda (was Umbrellas)

  • Bryce Tordiffe
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 27, 1998
      Mr. Burrill and fellow subscribers:

      While reading your E-mail regarding a universal means of sharing
      information related to the list�s mutual interests and hobby I was
      struck by two things. The first of course is that I find it to be a
      good idea and one that I support. The other is that of the file formats
      you suggest for the broadcast of this information (*.doc and *.txt) you
      have overlooked the most obvious format for all subscribers to this list
      to already be using is *.html. The HTML (HyperText Markup Language)
      file system is already the default internet tool and a requirement for
      your having been able to even read this document. Therefore, I would
      conclude that HTML should be the format used in the distribution of
      documents to a large and diverse group.

      What you go on to suggest further in your letter regarding topics
      exactly mirror the past discussions of this group and the hobby.
      Everyone seems to agree with the idea of a centralized universal archive
      containing data representing the many facets of the re-enacting world.
      Then anyone who has a need/desire for that information can access it
      freely and use it to their best advantage. Although I am loathed to say
      it, this is the perfect definition of a web page.

      While the entire concept of a web page devoted to 1812, NABB, NA-NA, or
      whatever is something that many people will want to jump at faster than
      shit through a goose, I make this suggestion with the warning that this
      is something that we must approach cautiously. With rampant internet
      hysteria in the media (usually in favour), a simple fact often
      overlooked is the intenet is rarely more than the biggest vanity press
      in the whole history of the human species. Unlike the book publishing
      industry where at its most perverse you at lest need profitability as a
      qualifying factor, the internet has no controls over content or quality
      beyond the person who put the information there. If handled improperly,
      this hypothetical web page could only result in the birthing of more
      �farbs� than we know what to do with (and rumour has it that we are
      already one over our quota).

      Please do not misunderstand, as an engineering student I am in strong
      support of technical growth and with judicious use the internet can be
      the tool utopians claim. In our case this would mean in addition to the
      clear idea we share about what should be contained within this archive,
      we must also pay attention to how to best represent these precious ideas
      and information. This would also include (gasp) the possibility of
      making our information available to outsiders. Should we decide that a
      web page is a good idea and want to implement one, who should or could
      have access? Do we want to have an exclusive page that requires a
      password provided only to the senior members of a unit, or is it
      preferable to have unrestricted access where school children with
      history projects and bleary-eyed cotton mouths searching for porn can
      find it?

      If we can begin to agree that an umbrella organization for 1812 is
      appropriate, then it should be much easier for us to set aside the �mine
      mine� attitudes that our individual units have survived on until now. I
      believe it to be in our best interests to collaborate in order to create
      the master list of rules, drill, patterns, etc., we have all been
      dreaming of. Without �sanitizing� the material, we can create an
      invaluable reference to the 1812 period without sacrificing unit
      prestige or sovereignty. This way the archive can not only be made
      available to anyone with access to an internet ready computer, but
      anything found to be inaccurate or inauthentic can be changed instantly
      (and said errors possibly even brought to our attention by someone
      outside of our circles). As we already have the components, the most
      important thing that we must consider is how we will determine what gets
      on and who we trust (that is willing) to make those decisions. Then it
      will be simple by comparison to add the resulting web page to the
      quivering mass we regard to be the world wide web.

      As a low ranking member in the 41st Regiment of Foot. (Not to be
      confused with the 41st Regiment of NORM. Lt. Coy. Shame on you
      Pudwell for even imagining any similarity between us and Drouillard�s
      Legion of the Dammed) I will not formally offer to construct and manage
      such a web page without first consulting with my unit�s president James
      Yawarsky. But as most of you already know how reasonable Jim is, I
      cannot see any problem from him. Personally I have never attempted to
      construct a web page of my own before, but I am very familiar with
      what�s necessary to do so and I have provided minor assistance with
      other people�s pages in the past. Unless anyone else better qualified
      or more eager to tackle this assignment (should it ever happen) comes
      forward, let me state my willingness to do the work needed to make it a
      reality. In the meantime I look forward to your reactions.

      Respectfully.

      Bryce Tordiffe

      >Date: 27 Nov 1998 08:21:08 -0600
      >From: James Burrill <jburrill@...>
      >To: WarOf1812@onelist.com, NINETY3RD@...
      >Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Set agenda (was Umbrellas)
      >
      >From: James Burrill <jburrill@...>
      >

      > Ok Benton and the rest...
      >
      > Lets' put our money where our mouth is...(you dentists just hush!)
      >
      > I think we should write up into an electronic document whatever
      > policies, procedures, safety rules, unit points of contacts,
      events,
      > guidelines ...what have you, so that we can get a copy, sort it
      out,
      > and get a 'buy in" from the List, NA-NA, NABB, whoever, and get
      > something we can show prospective members, sites, units, the
      Belgians
      > etc. etc.
      >

      > Here goes...
      >
      > 1) Lets pick a format that our respective computers can
      > handle...Word (.doc) text (.txt) or ???? then we can send the
      > documents around as an attachment.
      >
      > 2) Lets divide these documents into categories:
      > Safety
      > Authenticity
      > Drill
      > Dues
      > Insurance
      > Command structure
      > Units
      > Sources of material/patterns/kit/castings etc.
      > Whatever YOU ALL agree on..
      >
      > Let's agree to work from this post, add or delete catagories by
      leaving
      > the catagory, but type (delete) with your name beside the item
      i.e.. "
      > Safety (delete) Joe Shmoe Why: I am a lawyer looking for work".
      Lets
      > each look at the list of categories and make changes we feel
      important, or
      > stand with it for now.
      >

      > 3) Pick category "owners" who will collate the various bits and
      > pieces under their topic and present a coherent summary to the
      list.
      > They will maintain the master file documents for their area.
      >
      > 4) Establish a set of milestone dates for us to more or less
      stay on
      > track. Does anyone on the list have MS Project beside myself?
      >
      > 5) If anyone (Benton, here is where I can try to pay you back
      for
      > your previous efforts: Send me whatever paper documentation you
      put
      > together those 3 years ago and I will type them into a Word doc
      for
      > this project...anything from the NA you have that you and Tim want
      > use here etc.) Has any thing on paper instead of on disk that
      would be
      > applicable, I will type it onto disk if you will send it to me.
      >
      > Jim Burrill
      > 124 Park Ave
      > Quakertown PA 118951
      >

      > I think we are at a point where we need something in writing, on
      one
      > document, that we can at least say " here is what we are all
      willing
      > to abide by when we meet on "the field of dreams" (Jesse, I love
      your
      > phrase!)
      >
      > Our units may do more, but we will all at least agree to do no
      less than
      > what we put together in this document.
      >
      > All right me lads....there is the task. Are ye up to it?
      >
      > Cheers
      > Jim

      >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
      of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
      THOUSANDS of square miles...