Battle of New Orleans Event

  • larrylozon
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 10, 2007
      Those who are attending the Battle of New Orleans Event

      Have a good time

      and the weather looks good

      Yahoo Weather

      New Orleans Weather

      Fri
      Few Showers
      High: 70° Low: 60°

      Sat
      Mostly Cloudy
      High: 72° Low: 61°

      Sun
      Partly Cloudy
      High: 74° Low: 47°

      I wish I could be there ...

      It is snowing here :-(

      Yrs.,
      L2
    • John Ogden
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 10, 2007
        Snowing in Pittsburgh (PA) as well.

        --
        "Kings will be tyrants from policy, when subjects are rebels from
        principle."

        Edmund Burke MP
        (1729-1797)

      • Gordon Deans
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 10, 2007
          > L2 wrote:
          > Those who are attending the Battle of New Orleans Event - Have a
          > good time.

          I second that.

          If you get a chance to attend the Friday night Lantern Tour, watch for
          the "Baratarian on the Eve of the Battle" vignette (freeze-pose,
          action, freeze-pose) in which they begin arguing, boasting,
          complaining and discussing their fears about the upcoming battle. It
          is quite an effective method of presentation which we should adopt for
          our events.

          And if you get the chance, do not hesitate to leave "a little money"
          in New Orleans. There is plenty to see and hear and buy.

          Gord Deans
        • larrylozon
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 10, 2007
            "Gordon Deans" wrote:

            "...If you get a chance to attend the Friday night Lantern Tour..."

            I thot all went to the French Quarter Friday night
            and the Lantern Tour was Saturday night ?!?!

            Yrs.,
            L2
            Near the Grand River
            Upper Canada

            The only thing we learn from HISTORY
            Is we don't learn from HISTORY
          • Gordon Deans
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 10, 2007
              > From: "larrylozon" <larrylozon@...>
              > I thought all went to the French Quarter Friday night
              > and the Lantern Tour was Saturday night?

              Thanks for prompting me to recheck the details. Yes, the Lantern Tour
              does take place on Friday, January 12.

              You are accurate in assuming that "all [probably] went to the French
              Quarter Friday night". After travelling thousands of miles, I suppose
              that would be one's priority.

              Unfortunately, those that do so will miss the hard efforts of the
              local units, particularly the Baratarians - Jean Laffite's pirates /
              gunners, to present some of the local history. This reenactment group
              is trained by the National Parks Service to fire their big guns which
              will also be another one of the sights to see on the lantern tour.
              After all, there were more than just the British at the battle.

              192nd anniversary Friday and Saturday, January 12-13, 9:00 a.m.-3:30
              p.m.

              Lantern Tour Friday, January 12. First tour 6:00 p.m.; final tours
              begins at 8:30 p.m.

              Saturday night will involve a thank you dinner hosted by the St.
              Bernard Parish following the "after-battle" 4:30 PM Skirmish at nearby
              Pakenham Oaks. Opposed forces skirmishes are NOT permitted on NPS
              battlefields / cemeteries.
            • larrylozon
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 10, 2007
                "Gordon Deans" wrote:

                "... I thought all went to the French Quarter Friday night ...

                ... those that do so will miss the hard efforts of the local units,
                particularly the Baratarians - Jean Laffite's pirates/gunners, to
                present some of the local history..."

                After supper (dinner) (Sun down) Friday the park closes to the
                public so I can't see the Baratarians - Jean Laffite's pirate
                gunners presenting any program – the three times I attended, the
                Baratarians also went to the French Quarter with all of us

                Saturday evening was another story with the Lantern Tour and all
                presenting vignettes for the public who came in groups until about 9
                p.m.

                Perhaps we shall get a report of the happenings come this Monday

              • HQ93rd@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 10, 2007
                  In a message dated 1/10/07 10:56:15 AM, larrylozon@... writes:
                  > Those who are attending the Battle of New Orleans Event
                  > Have a good time
                  > and the weather looks good
                  > Yahoo Weather
                  > New Orleans Weather
                  > Fri
                  > Few Showers
                  > High: 70° Low: 60°
                  > Sat
                  > Mostly Cloudy
                  > High: 72° Low: 61°
                  > Sun
                  > Partly Cloudy
                  > High: 74° Low: 47°
                  > I wish I could be there ...
                  > It is snowing here :-(

                  Oh, I never count on anything weather-wise in New Orleans!
                  70s? Yeah that can change in a heartbeat to 30s and driving rain.
                  Seen it happen.
                  Too many times.
                  So I ain't countin none o dem dere chickhens afore they is hatched!

                  But thanks for the good wishes Lar! I wish you could be there too!

                  93rd SHRoFLHU
                  www.93rdhighlanders.com
                  THE Thin Red Line

                • HQ93rd@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 10, 2007
                    In a message dated 1/10/07 11:10:41 AM, gord.deans@... writes:
                    > > From: "larrylozon" <larrylozon@...>
                    > > I thought all went to the French Quarter Friday night
                    > > and the Lantern Tour was Saturday night?
                    >
                    > Thanks for prompting me to recheck the details.  Yes, the Lantern Tour
                    > does take place on Friday, January 12.
                    >
                    > You are accurate in assuming that "all [probably] went to the French
                    > Quarter Friday night".  After travelling thousands of miles, I suppose
                    > that would be one's priority.

                    Quite right indeed!
                    Last year there was no lantern tour due to the Katrina aftermath, and this
                    year the event is still in the "recovering" stage, so the Tour was moved to
                    Friday night and the battle to Saturday.

                    I and most of me lads got over the "going to the Quarter" thing years ago. If
                    we want to get our N.O. fix" we either arrive a couple days earlier or stay
                    later. Our attitude these days is; we came for the event, not sightseeing. We
                    came to be with each other, not with tourists on Bourbon Street.
                    But that's just us. Dour old Highlanders, huh?

                    93rd SHRoFLHU
                    www.93rdhighlanders.com
                    THE Thin Red Line

                  • annbwass@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 10, 2007
                      In a message dated 1/10/2007 4:28:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      HQ93rd@... writes:

                      But that's just us.

                      To use the local lingo, "Yeh, you right." However, the year I went, I, too,
                      stayed in Saint Bernard Parish. Didn't relish driving to, and parking in,
                      the French Quarter.

                      But then, I spent quite a bit of time there when I lived in Gulfport in the
                      early '80s.

                      I'm glad they were able to revive the lantern tours. The year I went, they
                      were a resounding success, and, as they charge admission, a money-maker, too!

                      Sounds like the Saturday schedule would leave time for those who have to
                      taste the nightlife to do it then, after dinner. After all, the city never
                      sleeps! (On one visit, my husband and I were taking an early morning
                      jog--probably about 6:00 or so--and encountered a very drunken lass who said, "Oh, look.
                      Jogging people! Hello, jogging people!)

                      Ann Wass

                    • larrylozon
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 10, 2007
                        HQ93rd@... wrote:

                        ". . . this year . . . the Tour was moved to Friday night and the
                        battle to Saturday. . . "

                        Commander B,

                        I stand corrected ...

                        Good luck on the weather, chickens and everything ...

                        We shall raise a glass to you, Maj. Payne and all present on the
                        field at Chalemette

                        Yrs.,
                        L2
                        Near the Grand River
                        Upper Canada

                        The only thing we learn from HISTORY
                        Is we don't learn from HISTORY
                      • sacbg7
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 11 11:56 AM
                          Dear list,
                          I tried sending this several hours ago, but it never made it to the list. I am reposting. Apologies if you receive it twice.

                          S.

                          Dear List,

                          Yes there are plans in the works for the Bicentennial Commemoration of the Battle of New Orleans. We of the 7th US Inf have a whole week of social activities planned for you commencing Jan 7 and running through January 11.

                          We are still negotiating certain details and will not make an official announcement until Sunday Oct 13 at Mississinewa.

                          For those not in attendance at Mississinewa we will publish details on this and other lists once we return.

                          To be sure the latrine-o-grams don't get started, meaning rumors, if you have any questions please direct them to either myself, who will be in charge of American forces, or Tim Pickles who will be handling the British side of things.

                          We intend to have a terrific time planned for all who can be there. But until all of the proverbial ducks are in a row, please understand, that at present, we can make no definite detailed announcement of plans or activities.

                          Sincerely,
                          Steve Abolt
                        • annwass2000
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 12 2:28 AM
                            But this is for 2015, yes? I believe someone was also seeking information for the coming year, 2014.

                            Ann Wass

                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 12 12:08 PM
                              Ann,

                              To clarify, The info I posted was for 2015, the actual Bicentennial Commemoration.

                              In 2014, meaning this coming January, the contact person is Ron Merrill of the NPS.  Anyone wishing to participate at the Chalmette Battlefield must be approved by the NPS.  They should contact Ron directly at Ron_Merrill@...

                              The event at the NPS site is all volunteer.  Meaning no one is getting a stipend, paycheck etc.

                              We will be announcing the events planned by the 7th INF for the 2015 Commemoration at Mississinewa on Sunday Oct, 13 of this year.

                              S.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 12 3:17 PM
                                The National Park Service and St Bernard Parish should be putting on their usual show in 2014. I don't know the exact dates but since Jan 8 is on a Wednesday, the Park Service event should be on the 10th, 11th, and 12th. Friday is the day the local schools send busloads of kids, so things can get a little rowdy but the public is still invited. Saturday is the day devoted to the general public. Sunday is reserved for wreath layings and memorial ceremonies. Parking is at a premium, so visitors park off-site and are shuttled to the battlefield.

                                Keep an eye on http://www.nps.gov/jela/chalmette-battlefield.htm for further developments.

                                LT