Signals in the Group Pic?

  • Dale Kidd
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
      In the current Group homepage picture, does anyone know what signal is
      being flown on the Constitution? That looks to be quite an extensive
      string of signal flags!

      ~Dale
    • Ian Gardner
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
        Well, I'm relatively new to this but I'll take a stab.

        It appears to read "2 BLT (easy on the mayo), 3 cheeseburgers with everything, a large side of fries and a side of coleslaw. I'm not certain about the flag at the very top of frame but I'm guessing it's something along the lines of "and could you send utensils".

        HTH

        Ian

        Dale Kidd <ucpm_gunner@...> wrote: In the current Group homepage picture, does anyone know what signal is
        being flown on the Constitution? That looks to be quite an extensive
        string of signal flags!

        ~Dale

      • M Peterson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
          Dale,

          Ifn I recollects correctly when "dressing ship" there is a specified
          sequence of the flags which equates to nonsense if one were to try to
          read it. This was done to prevent the mischievious midshipmen from
          displaying messages that might give offense.

          Myron Peterson
          Ship's Company
          Chesapeake Region

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Kidd" <ucpm_gunner@...> wrote:

          > In the current Group homepage picture, does anyone know what signal is
          > being flown on the Constitution? That looks to be quite an extensive
          > string of signal flags!
          >
          > ~Dale

        • Angela Gottfred
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
            If they've gone the modern route, they will have used the signal flags to spell
            out "Welcome Aboard", a convenient, friendly phrase which doesn't use any
            repeated letters.

            Your humble & obedient servant,
            Angela Gottfred