British Drummers + Bearskins

  • Tom Fournier
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2007
      I am responding to the thread around Drummers and Bearskins ...

      I have some details from an 1811 return for the 41st Regiment while
      they were in Canada:

      Under Accoutrements:

      Drummers

      Hangers 22
      Belts 22
      Drum Carriages 20
      Drum Cases 20

      Under Clothing:

      Drummers

      Coats 22
      Waistcoats 22
      Breeches 22
      Shoes 22
      Grenadier Caps 4
      Caps 22
      Great Coats 22

      For the rank & file, there were also 80 Grenadier Caps and for the
      Sergeants there were 4 Grenadier Caps.

      I am assuming that the standard "Caps" are the same stovepipe shakos
      that the rank & file wore?

      Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

      Tom Fournier
      41st Regiment of Foot
      www.fortyfirst.org
    • Luthien Tinuviel
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2007
        --- Tom Fournier <tom4141fournier@...> wrote:

        > I have some details from an 1811 return for the 41st
        > Regiment while
        > they were in Canada:
        >
        > Under Accoutrements:
        >

        > Under Clothing:
        >
        > Drummers
        >
        > Coats 22
        > Waistcoats 22
        > Breeches 22
        > Shoes 22
        > Grenadier Caps 4
        > Caps 22
        > Great Coats 22

        So it would seem that the drummers and fifers of the
        grenadier company had both a shako and a bearskin (if
        "grenadier cap" may be interpreted as bearskin)?
        Perhaps the bearskins were only worn for special
        occasions?

        Beck
        Fifer, 89th Regt. Grenadier Coy.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Tom Fournier
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2007
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Luthien Tinuviel <rrbeckner@...>
          wrote:

          > So it would seem that the drummers and fifers of the
          > grenadier company had both a shako and a bearskin (if
          > "grenadier cap" may be interpreted as bearskin)?
          > Perhaps the bearskins were only worn for special
          > occasions?
          >
          > Beck
          > Fifer, 89th Regt. Grenadier Coy.

          Good question! I went back and checked the ratios on some of the
          others:

          40 Sergeant Coats
          40 Caps
          4 Grenadier Caps

          664 Rank and File Coats
          664 Caps
          80 Grenadier Caps

          The same seems to hold true - both the Grenadier Cap and a regular
          Cap for all ...

          Tom
        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
            In a message dated 01/01/2007 21:19:45 Central Standard Time,
            rrbeckner@... writes:

            So it would seem that the drummers and fifers of the
            grenadier company had both a shako and a bearskin (if
            "grenadier cap" may be interpreted as bearskin)?
            Perhaps the bearskins were only worn for special
            occasions?

            Not surprising really, Canada was a British possession, the army was not
            sent there to fight a campaign but was a native army defending its territory
            from an invader. As such all the troops there (pre invasion) would have been
            equipped for the formal ceremonies in such a station, including 'grenadier caps'
            (bearskins is a relatively modern term). Also remember that Sir George
            Prevost was well known for being a martinet so we can be sure that all formal
            ceremonies were carried out in the regulation dress, in fact there were Peninsula
            veterans who complained that Prevost was far more picky about such things
            than Wellington.

            Cheers,