Re: 1800- british drummers beatings

  • Chris McKay
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2007
      Sorry, no. First off, when I say "the Royals," I don't mean Royal
      Regiments in general, but THE Royal Regiment (later the Royal
      Scots). The fourth battalion of the Royal Scots had bearskins as
      they were stationed in England in 1812. The first battalion,
      however, since they came directly from the West Indies, didn't have
      them - inspection returns are pretty clear on this point. I believe
      the Third Battalion (in the Peninsula) and the Second Battalion (in
      India) left them at home as well.

      Chris

      > What! are you saying that Royal Regiments did not wear Bearskin
      Caps.
      > All Regiments per His Majesty's Royal Warrents where to have their
      > Drummers wearing bearskin caps. Now when in the field or in a far
      off
      > land they may have used a shako because of costs of the Bearskin
      caps.
      > When the Royal Welch Fusiliers when to Spain they stored their caps
      > and use Stove pipe shakos. That said the Grenadier coy, and the
      > drummers still may have worn their Bearskin caps.
      >
      > THE DRUM Hugh Barty-King
      > Uniform Warrent 1802
      >
      > Cheers to you Jack
      >

      > Fusiliers in Spain 1809
      > Royal Welch Fusiliers in Spain 1809 - 23rd Regiment
      > Captain Jack Pritchard, Commanding - Gren. & Lt. Detactment
      > Members - 1812 Crown Forces, Brigade Napoléon: Napoleonic
      Reenactment

      > I swear to be true to our Sovereign Lord King George, and to serve
      > him honestly and faithfully, in Defense of His Person, Crown, and
      > Dignity, against all His Enemies or Opposers whatever: And to
      observe
      > and obey His Majesty's Orders, and the Orders of the Generals and
      > Officers set over me by His Majesty."

    • Tom Fournier
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2007
        I am responding to the thread around Drummers and Bearskins ...

        I have some details from an 1811 return for the 41st Regiment while
        they were in Canada:

        Under Accoutrements:

        Drummers

        Hangers 22
        Belts 22
        Drum Carriages 20
        Drum Cases 20

        Under Clothing:

        Drummers

        Coats 22
        Waistcoats 22
        Breeches 22
        Shoes 22
        Grenadier Caps 4
        Caps 22
        Great Coats 22

        For the rank & file, there were also 80 Grenadier Caps and for the
        Sergeants there were 4 Grenadier Caps.

        I am assuming that the standard "Caps" are the same stovepipe shakos
        that the rank & file wore?

        Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

        Tom Fournier
        41st Regiment of Foot
        www.fortyfirst.org
      • Luthien Tinuviel
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2007
          --- Tom Fournier <tom4141fournier@...> wrote:

          > I have some details from an 1811 return for the 41st
          > Regiment while
          > they were in Canada:
          >
          > Under Accoutrements:
          >

          > Under Clothing:
          >
          > Drummers
          >
          > Coats 22
          > Waistcoats 22
          > Breeches 22
          > Shoes 22
          > Grenadier Caps 4
          > Caps 22
          > Great Coats 22

          So it would seem that the drummers and fifers of the
          grenadier company had both a shako and a bearskin (if
          "grenadier cap" may be interpreted as bearskin)?
          Perhaps the bearskins were only worn for special
          occasions?

          Beck
          Fifer, 89th Regt. Grenadier Coy.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Tom Fournier
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2007
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Luthien Tinuviel <rrbeckner@...>
            wrote:

            > So it would seem that the drummers and fifers of the
            > grenadier company had both a shako and a bearskin (if
            > "grenadier cap" may be interpreted as bearskin)?
            > Perhaps the bearskins were only worn for special
            > occasions?
            >
            > Beck
            > Fifer, 89th Regt. Grenadier Coy.

            Good question! I went back and checked the ratios on some of the
            others:

            40 Sergeant Coats
            40 Caps
            4 Grenadier Caps

            664 Rank and File Coats
            664 Caps
            80 Grenadier Caps

            The same seems to hold true - both the Grenadier Cap and a regular
            Cap for all ...

            Tom
          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
              In a message dated 01/01/2007 21:19:45 Central Standard Time,
              rrbeckner@... writes:

              So it would seem that the drummers and fifers of the
              grenadier company had both a shako and a bearskin (if
              "grenadier cap" may be interpreted as bearskin)?
              Perhaps the bearskins were only worn for special
              occasions?

              Not surprising really, Canada was a British possession, the army was not
              sent there to fight a campaign but was a native army defending its territory
              from an invader. As such all the troops there (pre invasion) would have been
              equipped for the formal ceremonies in such a station, including 'grenadier caps'
              (bearskins is a relatively modern term). Also remember that Sir George
              Prevost was well known for being a martinet so we can be sure that all formal
              ceremonies were carried out in the regulation dress, in fact there were Peninsula
              veterans who complained that Prevost was far more picky about such things
              than Wellington.

              Cheers,