Re: 1800- british drummers beatings

  • Jack E. Pritchard
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2007
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Chris McKay" <PrivateCannon@...>
      wrote:

      > This brings up an interesting question: which Regiment are you
      > planning on drumming for? That will dictate your uniform. The
      > Royals, for example, didn't have bearskins (drummers, grenadiers or
      > anybody). Other Regiments would be different, of course.
      >
      > Chris

      What! are you saying that Royal Regiments did not wear Bearskin Caps.
      All Regiments per His Majesty's Royal Warrents where to have their
      Drummers wearing bearskin caps. Now when in the field or in a far off
      land they may have used a shako because of costs of the Bearskin caps.
      When the Royal Welch Fusiliers when to Spain they stored their caps
      and use Stove pipe shakos. That said the Grenadier coy, and the
      drummers still may have worn their Bearskin caps.

      THE DRUM Hugh Barty-King
      Uniform Warrent 1802

      Cheers to you Jack

      Fusiliers in Spain 1809
      Royal Welch Fusiliers in Spain 1809 - 23rd Regiment
      Captain Jack Pritchard, Commanding - Gren. & Lt. Detactment
      Members - 1812 Crown Forces, Brigade Napoléon: Napoleonic Reenactment

      I swear to be true to our Sovereign Lord King George, and to serve
      him honestly and faithfully, in Defense of His Person, Crown, and
      Dignity, against all His Enemies or Opposers whatever: And to observe
      and obey His Majesty's Orders, and the Orders of the Generals and
      Officers set over me by His Majesty."
    • Chris McKay
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2007
        Sorry, no. First off, when I say "the Royals," I don't mean Royal
        Regiments in general, but THE Royal Regiment (later the Royal
        Scots). The fourth battalion of the Royal Scots had bearskins as
        they were stationed in England in 1812. The first battalion,
        however, since they came directly from the West Indies, didn't have
        them - inspection returns are pretty clear on this point. I believe
        the Third Battalion (in the Peninsula) and the Second Battalion (in
        India) left them at home as well.

        Chris

        > What! are you saying that Royal Regiments did not wear Bearskin
        Caps.
        > All Regiments per His Majesty's Royal Warrents where to have their
        > Drummers wearing bearskin caps. Now when in the field or in a far
        off
        > land they may have used a shako because of costs of the Bearskin
        caps.
        > When the Royal Welch Fusiliers when to Spain they stored their caps
        > and use Stove pipe shakos. That said the Grenadier coy, and the
        > drummers still may have worn their Bearskin caps.
        >
        > THE DRUM Hugh Barty-King
        > Uniform Warrent 1802
        >
        > Cheers to you Jack
        >

        > Fusiliers in Spain 1809
        > Royal Welch Fusiliers in Spain 1809 - 23rd Regiment
        > Captain Jack Pritchard, Commanding - Gren. & Lt. Detactment
        > Members - 1812 Crown Forces, Brigade Napoléon: Napoleonic
        Reenactment

        > I swear to be true to our Sovereign Lord King George, and to serve
        > him honestly and faithfully, in Defense of His Person, Crown, and
        > Dignity, against all His Enemies or Opposers whatever: And to
        observe
        > and obey His Majesty's Orders, and the Orders of the Generals and
        > Officers set over me by His Majesty."

      • Tom Fournier
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2007
          I am responding to the thread around Drummers and Bearskins ...

          I have some details from an 1811 return for the 41st Regiment while
          they were in Canada:

          Under Accoutrements:

          Drummers

          Hangers 22
          Belts 22
          Drum Carriages 20
          Drum Cases 20

          Under Clothing:

          Drummers

          Coats 22
          Waistcoats 22
          Breeches 22
          Shoes 22
          Grenadier Caps 4
          Caps 22
          Great Coats 22

          For the rank & file, there were also 80 Grenadier Caps and for the
          Sergeants there were 4 Grenadier Caps.

          I am assuming that the standard "Caps" are the same stovepipe shakos
          that the rank & file wore?

          Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

          Tom Fournier
          41st Regiment of Foot
          www.fortyfirst.org
        • Luthien Tinuviel
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2007
            --- Tom Fournier <tom4141fournier@...> wrote:

            > I have some details from an 1811 return for the 41st
            > Regiment while
            > they were in Canada:
            >
            > Under Accoutrements:
            >

            > Under Clothing:
            >
            > Drummers
            >
            > Coats 22
            > Waistcoats 22
            > Breeches 22
            > Shoes 22
            > Grenadier Caps 4
            > Caps 22
            > Great Coats 22

            So it would seem that the drummers and fifers of the
            grenadier company had both a shako and a bearskin (if
            "grenadier cap" may be interpreted as bearskin)?
            Perhaps the bearskins were only worn for special
            occasions?

            Beck
            Fifer, 89th Regt. Grenadier Coy.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Tom Fournier
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2007
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Luthien Tinuviel <rrbeckner@...>
              wrote:

              > So it would seem that the drummers and fifers of the
              > grenadier company had both a shako and a bearskin (if
              > "grenadier cap" may be interpreted as bearskin)?
              > Perhaps the bearskins were only worn for special
              > occasions?
              >
              > Beck
              > Fifer, 89th Regt. Grenadier Coy.

              Good question! I went back and checked the ratios on some of the
              others:

              40 Sergeant Coats
              40 Caps
              4 Grenadier Caps

              664 Rank and File Coats
              664 Caps
              80 Grenadier Caps

              The same seems to hold true - both the Grenadier Cap and a regular
              Cap for all ...

              Tom
            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
                In a message dated 01/01/2007 21:19:45 Central Standard Time,
                rrbeckner@... writes:

                So it would seem that the drummers and fifers of the
                grenadier company had both a shako and a bearskin (if
                "grenadier cap" may be interpreted as bearskin)?
                Perhaps the bearskins were only worn for special
                occasions?

                Not surprising really, Canada was a British possession, the army was not
                sent there to fight a campaign but was a native army defending its territory
                from an invader. As such all the troops there (pre invasion) would have been
                equipped for the formal ceremonies in such a station, including 'grenadier caps'
                (bearskins is a relatively modern term). Also remember that Sir George
                Prevost was well known for being a martinet so we can be sure that all formal
                ceremonies were carried out in the regulation dress, in fact there were Peninsula
                veterans who complained that Prevost was far more picky about such things
                than Wellington.

                Cheers,