[War Of 1812] Free Online Books from US Archives

  • Gordon Deans
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2006
      I have just acquired 13 books about the War of 1812 which were printed
      between 1815 and 1917 and mainly written by authors who were present.
      I downloaded them from the US Archives for the cost of one and one
      half hours of effort. They are in PDF files in the form of the
      original covers and pages from the actual books.

      Many of these titles are out-of-print and hard to locate in libraries.
      All of them offer original artwork and illustrations from their
      period.

      The following is a list of the approximate contractions of the verbose
      book titles with their authors and the (year printed).

      - A Journal of Kentucky Volunteers and Regulars in the Years 1812-13 -
      Elias Darnell (1854)

      - Cruise of the U.S. Brig Argus in 1813 - James Inderwick (1917)

      - History of the Late War between the United States and Great
      Britain - H M Brackenridge (1839)

      - History of the Late War in the Western District - Robert McAfee
      (1816)

      - In the Wake of the Eighteen-Twelvers - Charles Snider (1913)

      - Kentucky Soldiers of the War of 1812 - Sam Hill (1891)

      - List of Naval References to the War of 1812 (1912)

      - Narrative of Service in the Forty-First Regiment of Foot - Shadrach
      Byfield (1840)

      - Notices of the War of 1812 - John Armstrong (1840)

      - Oliver Hazard Perry and Newport in the War of 1812 (1913)

      - Recollections of the War of 1812 - William Dunlop (1908)

      - The History of the War Between the United States and Great Britain -
      Russell (1815)

      - The US Campaign of 1813 to Capture Montreal - Robert Sellar (1913)

      I used the Live Search Books option at the web site
      > http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=&scope=books#q=

      The U.S. beta launch of Live Search Books is a big step forward in
      advancing the way people discover information through the integration
      of content that has been "off-limits" to the traditional researcher
      with the power of internet search engines.

      Wishing everyone a Happy and Prosperous New Year,

      Gord Deans