Re: [War Of 1812] Re: Adverse weather at events

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 26, 2006
      Now that's re-enactment....
      Vic
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: BritcomHMP@...
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, December 25, 2006 11:07 PM
      Subject: Re: [War Of 1812] Re: Adverse weather at events

      In a message dated 25/12/2006 18:49:37 Central Standard Time,
      philgarringer@... writes:

      > Heavy rains the night before Waterloo nothing like a good sleep
      the night before the big show.

      Actually for 3 days before, and in 1995 we had exactly the same weather, the
      Prussians and French fought a continuing action during the days before and
      the rain only broke at 10 am on Sunday morning (yes, it was the anniversary by
      day and date) and that of course was the same time the rain stopped on the
      actual day of the battle.

      For many of us that re-enactment was very emotional. knowing that we were
      experiencing exactly the same conditions as in 1815. And when in the first
      volley some of the Belgian French managed to fire their ramrods we could have met
      the same fate as some on the original day too!

      No, bad weather can sometimes be good, heck I even unhorsed a US dragoon at
      Mississinewa one year because of the weather (as we were fighting his horse
      reared and slipped and sat down in the mud, so I was able to capture him).

    • PEGGY Mathews
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 26, 2006
        We were bivouaced that weekend in a school that was out of session. Because
        the bus couldn't hold everyone for the trip down the morning of the battle
        Perko asked for volunteers to stay overnight on the battlefield. A lucky
        few (some Americans) slept under a wagon on the chateau of Hougomont. What
        an outstanding experience!

        Eleven rammers were launched by most accounts. Sadly, some by the same man,
        twice! They were on our left most of the battle. The rammers arced most
        gracefully through the sky.

        Michael Mathews
        "Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt"

        "Aspire to inspire before you expire."

        >From: BritcomHMP@...

        (snip)

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 26, 2006
          In a message dated 26/12/2006 09:35:06 Central Standard Time,
          ciefranche21e@... writes:

          Eleven rammers were launched by most accounts. Sadly, some by the same man,
          twice! They were on our left most of the battle. The rammers arced most
          gracefully through the sky.

          Indeed Mike, I remember asking one of my staff officers if we were supposed
          to be re-enacting Waterloo or Agincourt! (His reply was great, "doesn't
          matter, we win either way!")

          It was indeed one of those magical experiences, and I know we have more of
          those coming up in 2012-15.

        • Craig Williams
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 26, 2006
            Waterloo 1995,

            Funny, how the rain stayed on the surface at the top of the hill. It
            seemed to be always an inch deep up there.

            As far as fighting in the rain, at Stony Creek this year we stood
            about and wondered if the rain would hold off. There were quite a few
            intrepid observers waiting to see the battle and we decided to go
            ahead. As the British line took their position the rain started in
            ernest once again. I ordered the load, with the caution that
            everyone be careful to do so keeping their locks covered as much as
            possible.
            The battle began, we took the field and surprise surprise! The darned
            things DO work in the rain! It seems that if you managed to get your
            first round off then you kept firing with only a few misfires, but if
            your first round didn't go then it was pretty much 80% misfires. (it
            would be interesting to compile the misfire rates of everyone there).
            The battle went and it worked nicely with the smoke clinging to the
            ground and adding to the ambiance and staged confusion.

            As far as snow goes, I have done several reenactments in the snow
            over the years, and I've only once had an annoying setback when at
            Ogdensburg, a big fluffy snowflake fell into my pan as I was
            reloading and caused one misfire.

            As a slightly off-topic addition, our WWI unit has only ever bugged
            out early from an event with poor weather when several of our number
            started showing signs of hypothermia and no real way to combat it.

            Craig Williams

          • HQ93rd@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 27, 2006
              I recall Waterloo 1995 and Tim coming up to me immediately after my
              Highlanders helped pull me out of the mud in which I stood and saying, "Oh you missed
              your chance at the line there --'Well...Help me out! Help me out!' " (Referring
              to Rod Steiger in the film "Waterloo".)
              My reply was, "Of course I couldn't say it, I'm not portraying a fat little
              Corsican!"
              So instead I said, "Good beans, Wellington!".

              My apologies for my PC incorrectness if any fat little Corsican megalomaniacs
              take offense.
              Or beans.
              Or mud.
              Or Mr. Steiger.
              But Tim? Aw, the hell with him!
              ;-)

              Lt Col I still have Waterloo mud on me Breeches B
              93rd SHRoFLHU
              www.93rdhighlanders.com
              THE Thin Red Line

            • Len Heidebrecht
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 27, 2006
                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, HQ93rd@... wrote:
                > But Tim? Aw, the hell with him!
                > ;-)

                Career-Progression...HALT!
                Right About, Face!
                Into the Distance, Double March!
                Leftrightleftrightleftrightleftright...
                :^)
                Len
              • John E. Hesselberg
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 27, 2006
                  Howdy All!
                  I've been reading the posts on the Adverse Weather topic on the posts
                  and have been smiling, taking it all in. It brings back fond memories.
                  In my time with Uncle Sam's Green Machine I have experienced adverse
                  weather in the extreams. Wind Storms, Snow storms, Flash floods
                  freezing rain heat waves and discovering a never before cataloged
                  quicksand pit to name a few. In my reenacting carrer I have
                  experienced much the same to include two tornadoes and the ever
                  popular boot sucking mud.
                  In the US Army we refered to all this Adverse Weather as "Infantry
                  Sunshine!" regardless of the weather conditions we had to operate and
                  acomplish our goals. Later, after college, When I became an officer I
                  recounted the same expression to my troops whenever we took to the
                  field in "less" than popular conditions. It lightened the mood and we
                  accomplished our goals.
                  What's the point you may ask? My goals in reenacting is to have fun
                  with the best bunch of people that I know bad weather or not and I'm
                  reminded by it that the worst day reenacting, adverse weather, or not
                  beats out what my active duty brothers sisters and cousins go through
                  on a daily basis. Bring on the "Infantry Sunshine!"
                • Jim Hill
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 29, 2006
                    From the side lines, the Battle at Stoney this year looked fantastic.
                    The rate of fire looked good and as far as recruiting goes; you should
                    search in the crowd that stuck around. Tough minded or just too dumb
                    to get out of the rain, good material for reenacting.

                    The public enjoy the camps and if they are willing to wander the camps
                    after an engagement like Stoney Creek they are obviously interested in
                    participating or they're part duck.

                    We are asked all the time about units to join. As site people we try
                    to stick to the basics: Where do you live? Do you have a family? is
                    your spouse very kind, generous and patient? What is your favourite
                    colour? After the initial questions, we encourage them to go into the
                    camps and find friendly people. Faces in the crowd become faces in
                    the ranks.

                    For the switched-on, gungho, infanteer, soldier-army-for-the-use-of
                    types. Stay tuned, you might hear of plans for next year involving
                    yomping, humping and heights.

                    Jim

                  • petemonahan@sympatico.ca
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 29, 2006
                      From: "Jim Hill" <jhill@...>
                      From the side lines, the Battle at Stoney this year looked fantastic.
                      The rate of fire looked good and as far as recruiting goes; you should
                      search in the crowd that stuck around. Tough minded or just too dumb
                      to get out of the rain, good material for reenacting.

                      Hmm... What are you saying, Jim ?

                      Someone I know brought a friend to Ft Erie several years ago, to take part
                      in the siege. As they marched into battle said friend asked "You do this
                      every year?"
                      Reply: "Yes. Ten years now."
                      "And you always lose?"

                      "Too dumb to come in out of the rain!" I see an ad campaign shaping up
                      here. Maybe we can get some more Marine Corp and Airborne vets on board.
                      (ducking for cover now) :7)

                      Peter Monahan
                    • Chris Radojewski
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 29, 2006
                        From : Jim Hill <jhill@...>

                        From the side lines, the Battle at Stoney this year looked fantastic.
                        The rate of fire looked good and as far as recruiting goes; you should
                        search in the crowd that stuck around. Tough minded or just too dumb
                        to get out of the rain, good material for reenacting.

                        I had been intrested in getting into this hobby since my mother took
                        me to Louisburg Cape Breton. It seemed like a fun hobby. It had been a
                        few years since I went to the battle of Stoney Creek and I didn't mind
                        the weather. I always new that Stoney Creek was something to look
                        foreword to. I was glad it didn't rain to hard as it looked like my
                        friend and I were going to miss it. The battle looked better then
                        ever. With it dark and misty the smoke from the guns and flashes in
                        the pans were that much better. After I decided to find someone I
                        could talk to about the hobby. I remember i really had to find some
                        nerve to intrude as it looked like I was interupting the camp life.
                        But I did not seem before like they welcomed conversation. I soon
                        found out the man I interpted is now a friend of mine who always
                        welcomes a good conversation. After that everyone was friendly and
                        welcoming.
                        Like many suggested I think that the part where re-enactors lack is
                        being a little more open or welcoming to the public. There are many
                        ways to be a little more open. As said starting conversations with the
                        people who walk through is always a good start.

                        Just telling a story

                        Chris Radojewski

                        And Jim Hill I might be crazy for standing out there but I also
                        remembered my umbrella.