Re: Adverse weather at events

  • philgarringer
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 25, 2006
      I like to complain about the weather at every event, as it makes me
      feel more like a real infantryman. Nothing like a little grousing
      and complaining to get you in the mood for a war!

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, DAVID HINKLEY <pudding.boy@...>
      wrote:

      > Bad weather ruining an event? I have been tempted to reply all
      week and yet held back with discipline etc etc. I hardly ever post
      as it almost always comes back to haunt me. Now, I must as I watch
      with amazement "the thread that wouldn't die."

      > How can we possibly do anything in adverse weather? Let's see
      now;

      > Heavy rains the night before Waterloo nothing like a good sleep
      the night before the big show.
      > As a rifleman, I recall from my research when the 95th held the
      rearguard in the retreat back to what was it, I think Corona? The
      weather a bit messy for that one.
      > Mississenimud - I remember the one many years ago when it
      rained so hard we cancelled Sunday. It was hasty pudding in the
      roadways (and here I foolishly thought it a glimpse of what the
      roads looked like aftter the armies passed.)
      > How about the snowstorm that inhibited the Allies from
      reprovisioning troops Christmas Eve during the Battle of the Bulge?
      Sucked to be on the ground that weekend huh?
      > Let's not forget that Valley Forge thing. Man I bet they all
      wish they could have went home
      > Then there is that nasty trench warfare and the Great War.
      Sipping coffee and chewing your biscuit while standing in mud, piss,
      puke, blood basically in an open sewer for weeks on end. Good thing
      you found a bit of planking so you don't sink too far.
      > Now in my mid-fifties I admit I have slowed down a bit and I get
      grumpier and intolerant more now than in the past. I too must admit
      to complaining about the weather. Part of getting older is the right
      to complain and I can take it to the top level given half a chance.
      Yet when it was starting to snow Thursday morning as we sent up our
      tents for Mississenewa this year I didn't pout and start thinking
      about going home. Good thing too as it quit in about an hour and
      quickly melted off. I guess a handful of you guys would have headed
      for the cars so you could get back on the road before you got stuck
      in the field. You would have missed a great event. Heck maybe you
      did!

      > Adverse weather is part of the experience to me. At least on
      the 'living history' side of things. If the public doesn't show
      because the weather wasn't nice enough for a good war they probably
      would miss the battle anyway as they were busily shopping for one of
      those damnable bamboo flutes for their kid.

      > 9 American servicemen were killed in Iraq over Christmas
      weekend. Next time it rains on your event; .....smile, at least you
      get to go home.