Re: Winter Storage of Equipment

  • Dale Kidd
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Dickerson" <mdickerson1@...>
      wrote:
      "Wash them! Use cold water, gentle cycle, a little bit of Woolite, and
      allow the drip dry for a couple of days."

      Thanks for the tip, Mark. That really ought to save me a fair bit on
      dry cleaning bills! Although my pea coat is dark navy blue, and hides
      the dirt well, it still ends up filthy and smelling like stale wood
      smoke. Yech! I'm all in favour of anything that will allow me to
      launder the darned thing a bit more frequently.

      ~Dale
    • Susan Spencer
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
        And another shameless plug . . .

        Les Szabo of the Lion's Den will be my guest at the store in Hamilton
        (ON) for a Midwinter Musket Tuneup (rifles, etc., too!) on Saturday,
        February 10th, 2007. Les will be onsite for the day with his tools at
        the ready to fix what ails your gear, answer any questions, and
        generally do what Les does. Everyone welcome -- there's no "cover
        charge," just the cost of whatever gear and services Les provides.

        As he says, better to do it then in a relaxed environment than in a rush
        ten minutes before you have to be on the field . . .

        For my part, I will ensure that there is a good supply of lemon
        shortbread onsite that day as well so that the addicts can get their fix
        . . .

        Cheers,
        -- Sioux
      • philgarringer
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
          And don't forget Ogdensburg, NY in February...

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 12/4/2006 11:51:23 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          > blongo@... writes:
          >
          > He will clean his musket and kit after he has used it
          > > and it is ready to be used or stored.
          >

          > What's all this non sense about cleaning and storing your musket.
          By God
          > man... come and campaign at New Orleans in January. I am sure the
          General can
          > ensure that you are put to good use.
          >
          > JG/RE

        • larrylozon
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 5, 2006
            "Mark Dickerson" wrote:

            I have tried dry cleaning my coats ...They tend to ruin the pewter
            buttons.

            Mark

            Remove your Pewter, Gold or Silver plated buttons from
            your coat, vest and trousers

            Send them to the Dry Cleaners

            When they return

            Remove them from the plastic

            Sew on the buttons

            Voila, les vĂȘtements sont comme nouveau!

            Yrs.,
            L2
          • Mark Dickerson
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 5, 2006
              But I found that dry cleaning did not remove all the sweat stains (as icky as that is) on my coat.
              Plus I am too lazy to remove all those buttons from my coat. My washing machine is much simpler for lazy people like me.

              Mark

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 5, 2006
                "Mark Dickerson" wrote:

                " But I found that dry cleaning did not remove all the sweat
                stains ...
                Plus I am too lazy to remove all those buttons from my coat. "

                Mark

                Use Deodorant and Gold Bond powder and those nasty seat stains won't
                happen

                Plus for the Lazy Officers, I do provide a "Button Cut Off and Sew
                On Service

                ... and am sure that the Good Doctor can afford it (2nd Mortgage!)

                Yrs.,
                L2
              • Gordon Deans
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 6, 2006
                  Please forgive any duplicate emails that you might have received as
                  my email provider seems to have resent everything from December 4th.

                  Thanks to everyone for the valuable insights into preparing kit for
                  winter storage. Some do, some don't, but experiences of those that do
                  will save me some painful lessons. I did check the internet before
                  asking but found conflicting advice (surprise!) so decided to ask our
                  1812 period experts.

                  Not everyone can drill through the winter and I commend those who do.

                  Gord Deans, Gunner, Royal Navy,
                  HMS Charwell Landing Party.

                  P.S. I think that I will pass on the "sheep dip" from the co-op farm
                  store being from the city.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 6, 2006
                    So there'll be no snickering about Falklands War Brides, etc?

                    Vic

                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 6, 2006
                      Vic,

                      To paraphrase an infamous SAS author - what happened in the Falklands
                      should stay in the Falklands. NOW I know what he meant.

                      Thanks.

                      So there'll be no snickering about Falklands War Brides, etc?

                      Vic

                      With another successful Historic Merchants Gathering completed, the
                      reenacting season is over for most of us until Longwoods 2007.

                      Can anyone offer some tips as to the year-end cleaning and storage
                      of
                      equipment until Longwoods 2007? Muskets, bayonets, cutlasses,
                      swords,
                      leatherwork, etc.? Cleaning, oiling, polishing, etc.?

                      Without being under the scrutiny of the public this time, it is
                      possible to use the best of the modern products and techniques. What
                      is recommended? What do you use?

                      Gord Deans

                      04/12/06

                      The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
                      of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
                      THOUSANDS of square miles...

                      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                      American Forces Unit Listing
                      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                      WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Peter Catley
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 7, 2006
                        Only for the Welsh Regiments I'm told :-)

                        If we're talking the Falklands, what about the helicopter sport of
                        Penguin bowling:-)

                        Cheers

                        P**

                        Gordon Deans wrote:

                        > Vic,
                        >
                        > To paraphrase an infamous SAS author - what happened in the Falklands
                        > should stay in the Falklands. NOW I know what he meant.
                        >
                        > Thanks.

                      • Gordon Deans
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 7, 2006
                          Didn't the last time they tried that on South Georgia Island end up in
                          a crash? Penguins 1, Royal Marines helicopter 0. {8^)

                          Gordon Deans wrote:

                          > Vic,
                          >
                          > To paraphrase an infamous SAS author - what happened in the
                          > Falklands
                          > should stay in the Falklands. NOW I know what he meant.
                          >
                          > Thanks.

                        • Peter Catley
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 7, 2006
                            I hadn't heard that, I hope it is true!