Re: [WarOf1812] Winter Storage of Equipment

  • Mark Dickerson
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
      I have tried dry cleaning my coats in the past and have been unsatisfied with it. They tend to ruin the pewter buttons. Just simply do what the soldiers did 200 years ago. Wash them! Use cold water, gentle cycle, a little bit of Woolite, and allow the drip dry for a couple of days.
      NO HOT WATER
      NO AUTOMATIC DRYER!!
      People will call you crazy and tell you that you will shrink your barracks coat ( great coat, blankets) and that you will burn in the firey depths of Hades. Simply not true. I have washed my greatcoat (and my WW2 uniform) many times and it still fits perfectly. Just be careful with it. During the first time that I ever washed the greatcoat, I looked at the wash water I was thoroughly disgusted that I washed it a second time.
      According to re-enactor lore, that's why the barrackes coats were white. The more you washed them, the whiter they got.

      Mark Dickerson

      Woolen coats, waistcoats: dryclean and air out afterward

      .

    • glifencible
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
        > Woolen coats, waistcoats: dryclean and air out afterward

        I've used Dryel on all of my wool with great success. (several times a
        season) If however you try it, use at your own risk... :P
      • Dale Kidd
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Dickerson" <mdickerson1@...>
          wrote:
          "Wash them! Use cold water, gentle cycle, a little bit of Woolite, and
          allow the drip dry for a couple of days."

          Thanks for the tip, Mark. That really ought to save me a fair bit on
          dry cleaning bills! Although my pea coat is dark navy blue, and hides
          the dirt well, it still ends up filthy and smelling like stale wood
          smoke. Yech! I'm all in favour of anything that will allow me to
          launder the darned thing a bit more frequently.

          ~Dale
        • Susan Spencer
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
            And another shameless plug . . .

            Les Szabo of the Lion's Den will be my guest at the store in Hamilton
            (ON) for a Midwinter Musket Tuneup (rifles, etc., too!) on Saturday,
            February 10th, 2007. Les will be onsite for the day with his tools at
            the ready to fix what ails your gear, answer any questions, and
            generally do what Les does. Everyone welcome -- there's no "cover
            charge," just the cost of whatever gear and services Les provides.

            As he says, better to do it then in a relaxed environment than in a rush
            ten minutes before you have to be on the field . . .

            For my part, I will ensure that there is a good supply of lemon
            shortbread onsite that day as well so that the addicts can get their fix
            . . .

            Cheers,
            -- Sioux
          • philgarringer
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
              And don't forget Ogdensburg, NY in February...

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 12/4/2006 11:51:23 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
              > blongo@... writes:
              >
              > He will clean his musket and kit after he has used it
              > > and it is ready to be used or stored.
              >

              > What's all this non sense about cleaning and storing your musket.
              By God
              > man... come and campaign at New Orleans in January. I am sure the
              General can
              > ensure that you are put to good use.
              >
              > JG/RE

            • larrylozon
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 5, 2006
                "Mark Dickerson" wrote:

                I have tried dry cleaning my coats ...They tend to ruin the pewter
                buttons.

                Mark

                Remove your Pewter, Gold or Silver plated buttons from
                your coat, vest and trousers

                Send them to the Dry Cleaners

                When they return

                Remove them from the plastic

                Sew on the buttons

                Voila, les vĂȘtements sont comme nouveau!

                Yrs.,
                L2
              • Mark Dickerson
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 5, 2006
                  But I found that dry cleaning did not remove all the sweat stains (as icky as that is) on my coat.
                  Plus I am too lazy to remove all those buttons from my coat. My washing machine is much simpler for lazy people like me.

                  Mark

                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 5, 2006
                    "Mark Dickerson" wrote:

                    " But I found that dry cleaning did not remove all the sweat
                    stains ...
                    Plus I am too lazy to remove all those buttons from my coat. "

                    Mark

                    Use Deodorant and Gold Bond powder and those nasty seat stains won't
                    happen

                    Plus for the Lazy Officers, I do provide a "Button Cut Off and Sew
                    On Service

                    ... and am sure that the Good Doctor can afford it (2nd Mortgage!)

                    Yrs.,
                    L2
                  • Gordon Deans
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 6, 2006
                      Please forgive any duplicate emails that you might have received as
                      my email provider seems to have resent everything from December 4th.

                      Thanks to everyone for the valuable insights into preparing kit for
                      winter storage. Some do, some don't, but experiences of those that do
                      will save me some painful lessons. I did check the internet before
                      asking but found conflicting advice (surprise!) so decided to ask our
                      1812 period experts.

                      Not everyone can drill through the winter and I commend those who do.

                      Gord Deans, Gunner, Royal Navy,
                      HMS Charwell Landing Party.

                      P.S. I think that I will pass on the "sheep dip" from the co-op farm
                      store being from the city.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 6, 2006
                        So there'll be no snickering about Falklands War Brides, etc?

                        Vic

                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 6, 2006
                          Vic,

                          To paraphrase an infamous SAS author - what happened in the Falklands
                          should stay in the Falklands. NOW I know what he meant.

                          Thanks.

                          So there'll be no snickering about Falklands War Brides, etc?

                          Vic

                          With another successful Historic Merchants Gathering completed, the
                          reenacting season is over for most of us until Longwoods 2007.

                          Can anyone offer some tips as to the year-end cleaning and storage
                          of
                          equipment until Longwoods 2007? Muskets, bayonets, cutlasses,
                          swords,
                          leatherwork, etc.? Cleaning, oiling, polishing, etc.?

                          Without being under the scrutiny of the public this time, it is
                          possible to use the best of the modern products and techniques. What
                          is recommended? What do you use?

                          Gord Deans

                          04/12/06

                          The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
                          of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
                          THOUSANDS of square miles...

                          Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                          http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                          American Forces Unit Listing
                          http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                          WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Peter Catley
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 7, 2006
                            Only for the Welsh Regiments I'm told :-)

                            If we're talking the Falklands, what about the helicopter sport of
                            Penguin bowling:-)

                            Cheers

                            P**

                            Gordon Deans wrote:

                            > Vic,
                            >
                            > To paraphrase an infamous SAS author - what happened in the Falklands
                            > should stay in the Falklands. NOW I know what he meant.
                            >
                            > Thanks.

                          • Gordon Deans
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 7, 2006
                              Didn't the last time they tried that on South Georgia Island end up in
                              a crash? Penguins 1, Royal Marines helicopter 0. {8^)

                              Gordon Deans wrote:

                              > Vic,
                              >
                              > To paraphrase an infamous SAS author - what happened in the
                              > Falklands
                              > should stay in the Falklands. NOW I know what he meant.
                              >
                              > Thanks.

                            • Peter Catley
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 7, 2006
                                I hadn't heard that, I hope it is true!