Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Winter Storage of Equipment

  • JGIL1812@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
      In a message dated 12/4/2006 11:51:23 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      blongo@... writes:

      He will clean his musket and kit after he has used it
      > and it is ready to be used or stored.

      What's all this non sense about cleaning and storing your musket. By God
      man... come and campaign at New Orleans in January. I am sure the General can
      ensure that you are put to good use.

      JG/RE

    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
        I have tried dry cleaning my coats in the past and have been unsatisfied with it. They tend to ruin the pewter buttons. Just simply do what the soldiers did 200 years ago. Wash them! Use cold water, gentle cycle, a little bit of Woolite, and allow the drip dry for a couple of days.
        NO HOT WATER
        NO AUTOMATIC DRYER!!
        People will call you crazy and tell you that you will shrink your barracks coat ( great coat, blankets) and that you will burn in the firey depths of Hades. Simply not true. I have washed my greatcoat (and my WW2 uniform) many times and it still fits perfectly. Just be careful with it. During the first time that I ever washed the greatcoat, I looked at the wash water I was thoroughly disgusted that I washed it a second time.
        According to re-enactor lore, that's why the barrackes coats were white. The more you washed them, the whiter they got.

        Mark Dickerson

        Woolen coats, waistcoats: dryclean and air out afterward

        .

      • glifencible
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
          > Woolen coats, waistcoats: dryclean and air out afterward

          I've used Dryel on all of my wool with great success. (several times a
          season) If however you try it, use at your own risk... :P
        • Dale Kidd
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Dickerson" <mdickerson1@...>
            wrote:
            "Wash them! Use cold water, gentle cycle, a little bit of Woolite, and
            allow the drip dry for a couple of days."

            Thanks for the tip, Mark. That really ought to save me a fair bit on
            dry cleaning bills! Although my pea coat is dark navy blue, and hides
            the dirt well, it still ends up filthy and smelling like stale wood
            smoke. Yech! I'm all in favour of anything that will allow me to
            launder the darned thing a bit more frequently.

            ~Dale
          • Susan Spencer
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
              And another shameless plug . . .

              Les Szabo of the Lion's Den will be my guest at the store in Hamilton
              (ON) for a Midwinter Musket Tuneup (rifles, etc., too!) on Saturday,
              February 10th, 2007. Les will be onsite for the day with his tools at
              the ready to fix what ails your gear, answer any questions, and
              generally do what Les does. Everyone welcome -- there's no "cover
              charge," just the cost of whatever gear and services Les provides.

              As he says, better to do it then in a relaxed environment than in a rush
              ten minutes before you have to be on the field . . .

              For my part, I will ensure that there is a good supply of lemon
              shortbread onsite that day as well so that the addicts can get their fix
              . . .

              Cheers,
              -- Sioux
            • philgarringer
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
                And don't forget Ogdensburg, NY in February...

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 12/4/2006 11:51:23 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                > blongo@... writes:
                >
                > He will clean his musket and kit after he has used it
                > > and it is ready to be used or stored.
                >

                > What's all this non sense about cleaning and storing your musket.
                By God
                > man... come and campaign at New Orleans in January. I am sure the
                General can
                > ensure that you are put to good use.
                >
                > JG/RE

              • larrylozon
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 5, 2006
                  "Mark Dickerson" wrote:

                  I have tried dry cleaning my coats ...They tend to ruin the pewter
                  buttons.

                  Mark

                  Remove your Pewter, Gold or Silver plated buttons from
                  your coat, vest and trousers

                  Send them to the Dry Cleaners

                  When they return

                  Remove them from the plastic

                  Sew on the buttons

                  Voila, les vĂȘtements sont comme nouveau!

                  Yrs.,
                  L2
                • Mark Dickerson
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 5, 2006
                    But I found that dry cleaning did not remove all the sweat stains (as icky as that is) on my coat.
                    Plus I am too lazy to remove all those buttons from my coat. My washing machine is much simpler for lazy people like me.

                    Mark

                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 5, 2006
                      "Mark Dickerson" wrote:

                      " But I found that dry cleaning did not remove all the sweat
                      stains ...
                      Plus I am too lazy to remove all those buttons from my coat. "

                      Mark

                      Use Deodorant and Gold Bond powder and those nasty seat stains won't
                      happen

                      Plus for the Lazy Officers, I do provide a "Button Cut Off and Sew
                      On Service

                      ... and am sure that the Good Doctor can afford it (2nd Mortgage!)

                      Yrs.,
                      L2
                    • Gordon Deans
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 6, 2006
                        Please forgive any duplicate emails that you might have received as
                        my email provider seems to have resent everything from December 4th.

                        Thanks to everyone for the valuable insights into preparing kit for
                        winter storage. Some do, some don't, but experiences of those that do
                        will save me some painful lessons. I did check the internet before
                        asking but found conflicting advice (surprise!) so decided to ask our
                        1812 period experts.

                        Not everyone can drill through the winter and I commend those who do.

                        Gord Deans, Gunner, Royal Navy,
                        HMS Charwell Landing Party.

                        P.S. I think that I will pass on the "sheep dip" from the co-op farm
                        store being from the city.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 6, 2006
                          So there'll be no snickering about Falklands War Brides, etc?

                          Vic

                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 6, 2006
                            Vic,

                            To paraphrase an infamous SAS author - what happened in the Falklands
                            should stay in the Falklands. NOW I know what he meant.

                            Thanks.

                            So there'll be no snickering about Falklands War Brides, etc?

                            Vic

                            With another successful Historic Merchants Gathering completed, the
                            reenacting season is over for most of us until Longwoods 2007.

                            Can anyone offer some tips as to the year-end cleaning and storage
                            of
                            equipment until Longwoods 2007? Muskets, bayonets, cutlasses,
                            swords,
                            leatherwork, etc.? Cleaning, oiling, polishing, etc.?

                            Without being under the scrutiny of the public this time, it is
                            possible to use the best of the modern products and techniques. What
                            is recommended? What do you use?

                            Gord Deans

                            04/12/06

                            The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
                            of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
                            THOUSANDS of square miles...

                            Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                            American Forces Unit Listing
                            http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                            WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • Peter Catley
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 7, 2006
                              Only for the Welsh Regiments I'm told :-)

                              If we're talking the Falklands, what about the helicopter sport of
                              Penguin bowling:-)

                              Cheers

                              P**

                              Gordon Deans wrote:

                              > Vic,
                              >
                              > To paraphrase an infamous SAS author - what happened in the Falklands
                              > should stay in the Falklands. NOW I know what he meant.
                              >
                              > Thanks.

                            • Gordon Deans
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 7, 2006
                                Didn't the last time they tried that on South Georgia Island end up in
                                a crash? Penguins 1, Royal Marines helicopter 0. {8^)

                                Gordon Deans wrote:

                                > Vic,
                                >
                                > To paraphrase an infamous SAS author - what happened in the
                                > Falklands
                                > should stay in the Falklands. NOW I know what he meant.
                                >
                                > Thanks.

                              • Peter Catley
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 7, 2006
                                  I hadn't heard that, I hope it is true!