Re: Winter Storage of Equipment

  • glifencible
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "larrylozon" <larrylozon@...> wrote:

      > Ray Hobbs wrote:
      >
      > Gordon:
      > I am sure that most of the redcoat reenactors do what we do in the
      > 41st - continue our reenacting throughout the winter months.
      >

      > I must add to the esteemed Doctor Hobbs' statement:
      >

      > If the re-enactor follows the orders set out in i812 - -
      >
      > He will clean his musket and kit after he has used it
      > and it is ready to be used or stored.
      >

      > Yrs.,
      > L2
      To add to Larry's statement that was added to Ray's statement, the
      sooner you clean your musket after using it, and the more frequently
      you clean it makes it much easier to maintain. It will probably work
      better too.
    • suthren@magma.ca
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
        Naval Kit Storage, Off-season

        Leatherwork: clean and rub down with 'Dubbin' or similar product
        Linen, other washables: hand wash in cold water, rinse, and air dry
        Woolen coats, waistcoats: dryclean and air out afterward
        Canvas (duck) slops: wash if needed in cold water; air dry thoroughly. 'Dubbin' on leather sheath.
        Steel items e.g. sheath knives: clean, wipe down with cloth touched with light oil
        Shoes: clean, polish (if smooth) and apply light coat of 'Dubbin'. Put in shoe trees or cram with paper
        Musquetoons, pistols: clean with warm soapy water; wipe/swab dry; wipe/swab down with light machine oil cloth
        Cutlasses, pikes, boarding axes: ditto as per firelocks
        Canvas items e,g, seabags, hammocks, haversacks, : air in sun to clear out mould and damp before folding and stowing
        Brass: not to be polished. Clean if necessary with warm soapy water and wipe dry.
        Cocked hats: brush with stiff brush

        Store all items away from damp. Place cedar balls or chips with clothing, particularly woolen coats, waistcoats and breeches.

        Pack away lovingly and think of next year....

        Vic Suthren

        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
          Speaking as one who is NOT generally actively reenacting during the
          winter months, I have come up with some minimal maintenance routines.
          (Though I admit that I am hoping to be a bit busier this winter than in
          previous years.)

          My muskets/rifles have been stripped and well cleaned, lightly oiled
          where required (NO WD-40... it is reputed to be mildly corrosive over
          long term). I store my guns on a rack in a cool, dry room, uncased.
          Every couple of weeks I wipe them down with a soft silcon-impregnated
          cloth, of the type widely available for hunting and fishing equipment.
          I also polish the brass hardware (with Brasso), and the stocks (with
          liquid furniture polish). If any of the guns have given any hint of
          mechanical problems during the season, they take an off-season trip to
          visit Les Szabo for a tuneup.

          Swords, cutlasses, and bayonets have been carefully cleaned, all the
          brass polished, the blades wiped down with the silicon cloth. I store
          the blades sheathed, racked with the guns. They are also periodically
          wiped down.

          I treat all my leather with a leather conditioner, and make sure that
          any neccessary restitching is taken care of. If needed, I can clean
          and re-dye any pieces that are starting to look overly worn, or have
          been severely scuffed. (Fortunately, I don't have white leather to
          worry about.) I hang up all my leather in a cool, dry place.

          Finally, I also use the off-season to clean up my existing uniforms.
          Wearing white trousers means there's plenty of stain removal to
          achieve. There are always one or two shirt seams that need mending, as
          well. I have also put a couple of new uniform pieces on my Christmas
          list this year... hope Santa is listening. Coats, cloaks, waistcoats,
          and hats need brushing, and sometimes dry cleaning if they're really
          mucked up. (I've found that felt hats, like top hats or round hats,
          respond well to being steamed and brushed.)

          Some of the others, more experienced than I, may have different, and
          even better winter storage and maintenance tips to offer. I hope,
          however, that these are of some use.

          Dale Kidd
          Master at Arms
          H.M. Provincial Marine
        • JGIL1812@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
            In a message dated 12/4/2006 11:51:23 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            blongo@... writes:

            He will clean his musket and kit after he has used it
            > and it is ready to be used or stored.

            What's all this non sense about cleaning and storing your musket. By God
            man... come and campaign at New Orleans in January. I am sure the General can
            ensure that you are put to good use.

            JG/RE

          • Mark Dickerson
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
              I have tried dry cleaning my coats in the past and have been unsatisfied with it. They tend to ruin the pewter buttons. Just simply do what the soldiers did 200 years ago. Wash them! Use cold water, gentle cycle, a little bit of Woolite, and allow the drip dry for a couple of days.
              NO HOT WATER
              NO AUTOMATIC DRYER!!
              People will call you crazy and tell you that you will shrink your barracks coat ( great coat, blankets) and that you will burn in the firey depths of Hades. Simply not true. I have washed my greatcoat (and my WW2 uniform) many times and it still fits perfectly. Just be careful with it. During the first time that I ever washed the greatcoat, I looked at the wash water I was thoroughly disgusted that I washed it a second time.
              According to re-enactor lore, that's why the barrackes coats were white. The more you washed them, the whiter they got.

              Mark Dickerson

              Woolen coats, waistcoats: dryclean and air out afterward

              .

            • glifencible
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
                > Woolen coats, waistcoats: dryclean and air out afterward

                I've used Dryel on all of my wool with great success. (several times a
                season) If however you try it, use at your own risk... :P
              • Dale Kidd
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Dickerson" <mdickerson1@...>
                  wrote:
                  "Wash them! Use cold water, gentle cycle, a little bit of Woolite, and
                  allow the drip dry for a couple of days."

                  Thanks for the tip, Mark. That really ought to save me a fair bit on
                  dry cleaning bills! Although my pea coat is dark navy blue, and hides
                  the dirt well, it still ends up filthy and smelling like stale wood
                  smoke. Yech! I'm all in favour of anything that will allow me to
                  launder the darned thing a bit more frequently.

                  ~Dale
                • Susan Spencer
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
                    And another shameless plug . . .

                    Les Szabo of the Lion's Den will be my guest at the store in Hamilton
                    (ON) for a Midwinter Musket Tuneup (rifles, etc., too!) on Saturday,
                    February 10th, 2007. Les will be onsite for the day with his tools at
                    the ready to fix what ails your gear, answer any questions, and
                    generally do what Les does. Everyone welcome -- there's no "cover
                    charge," just the cost of whatever gear and services Les provides.

                    As he says, better to do it then in a relaxed environment than in a rush
                    ten minutes before you have to be on the field . . .

                    For my part, I will ensure that there is a good supply of lemon
                    shortbread onsite that day as well so that the addicts can get their fix
                    . . .

                    Cheers,
                    -- Sioux
                  • philgarringer
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
                      And don't forget Ogdensburg, NY in February...

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 12/4/2006 11:51:23 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                      > blongo@... writes:
                      >
                      > He will clean his musket and kit after he has used it
                      > > and it is ready to be used or stored.
                      >

                      > What's all this non sense about cleaning and storing your musket.
                      By God
                      > man... come and campaign at New Orleans in January. I am sure the
                      General can
                      > ensure that you are put to good use.
                      >
                      > JG/RE

                    • larrylozon
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 5, 2006
                        "Mark Dickerson" wrote:

                        I have tried dry cleaning my coats ...They tend to ruin the pewter
                        buttons.

                        Mark

                        Remove your Pewter, Gold or Silver plated buttons from
                        your coat, vest and trousers

                        Send them to the Dry Cleaners

                        When they return

                        Remove them from the plastic

                        Sew on the buttons

                        Voila, les vĂȘtements sont comme nouveau!

                        Yrs.,
                        L2
                      • Mark Dickerson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 5, 2006
                          But I found that dry cleaning did not remove all the sweat stains (as icky as that is) on my coat.
                          Plus I am too lazy to remove all those buttons from my coat. My washing machine is much simpler for lazy people like me.

                          Mark

                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 5, 2006
                            "Mark Dickerson" wrote:

                            " But I found that dry cleaning did not remove all the sweat
                            stains ...
                            Plus I am too lazy to remove all those buttons from my coat. "

                            Mark

                            Use Deodorant and Gold Bond powder and those nasty seat stains won't
                            happen

                            Plus for the Lazy Officers, I do provide a "Button Cut Off and Sew
                            On Service

                            ... and am sure that the Good Doctor can afford it (2nd Mortgage!)

                            Yrs.,
                            L2
                          • Gordon Deans
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 6, 2006
                              Please forgive any duplicate emails that you might have received as
                              my email provider seems to have resent everything from December 4th.

                              Thanks to everyone for the valuable insights into preparing kit for
                              winter storage. Some do, some don't, but experiences of those that do
                              will save me some painful lessons. I did check the internet before
                              asking but found conflicting advice (surprise!) so decided to ask our
                              1812 period experts.

                              Not everyone can drill through the winter and I commend those who do.

                              Gord Deans, Gunner, Royal Navy,
                              HMS Charwell Landing Party.

                              P.S. I think that I will pass on the "sheep dip" from the co-op farm
                              store being from the city.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 6, 2006
                                So there'll be no snickering about Falklands War Brides, etc?

                                Vic

                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 6, 2006
                                  Vic,

                                  To paraphrase an infamous SAS author - what happened in the Falklands
                                  should stay in the Falklands. NOW I know what he meant.

                                  Thanks.

                                  So there'll be no snickering about Falklands War Brides, etc?

                                  Vic

                                  With another successful Historic Merchants Gathering completed, the
                                  reenacting season is over for most of us until Longwoods 2007.

                                  Can anyone offer some tips as to the year-end cleaning and storage
                                  of
                                  equipment until Longwoods 2007? Muskets, bayonets, cutlasses,
                                  swords,
                                  leatherwork, etc.? Cleaning, oiling, polishing, etc.?

                                  Without being under the scrutiny of the public this time, it is
                                  possible to use the best of the modern products and techniques. What
                                  is recommended? What do you use?

                                  Gord Deans

                                  04/12/06

                                  The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
                                  of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
                                  THOUSANDS of square miles...

                                  Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                                  http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                                  American Forces Unit Listing
                                  http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                                  WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                • Peter Catley
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 7, 2006
                                    Only for the Welsh Regiments I'm told :-)

                                    If we're talking the Falklands, what about the helicopter sport of
                                    Penguin bowling:-)

                                    Cheers

                                    P**

                                    Gordon Deans wrote:

                                    > Vic,
                                    >
                                    > To paraphrase an infamous SAS author - what happened in the Falklands
                                    > should stay in the Falklands. NOW I know what he meant.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks.

                                  • Gordon Deans
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 7, 2006
                                      Didn't the last time they tried that on South Georgia Island end up in
                                      a crash? Penguins 1, Royal Marines helicopter 0. {8^)

                                      Gordon Deans wrote:

                                      > Vic,
                                      >
                                      > To paraphrase an infamous SAS author - what happened in the
                                      > Falklands
                                      > should stay in the Falklands. NOW I know what he meant.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks.

                                    • Peter Catley
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 7, 2006
                                        I hadn't heard that, I hope it is true!