[WarOf1812] Winter Storage of Equipment

  • Gordon Deans
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
      With another successful Historic Merchants Gathering completed, the
      reenacting season is over for most of us until Longwoods 2007.

      Can anyone offer some tips as to the year-end cleaning and storage of
      equipment until Longwoods 2007? Muskets, bayonets, cutlasses, swords,
      leatherwork, etc.? Cleaning, oiling, polishing, etc.?

      Without being under the scrutiny of the public this time, it is
      possible to use the best of the modern products and techniques. What
      is recommended? What do you use?

      Gord Deans
    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
        Gordon:
        I am sure that most of the redcoat reenactors do what we do in the 41st
        - continue our reenacting throughout the winter months. We drill in the
        open air at least once per month (some meet every week), and for us
        these are"spit and polish" events. In other words, all kit and
        equipment is to be maintained at proper levels - polished, brushed,
        cleaned etc. Muskets are fired at each drill, and are thoroughly
        cleaned soon thereafter. I have a bulldog of a Sergeant who makes it so
        :)
        Some of these drills are held at sites such as Battlefield house, Fort
        Niagara, Fort George, Fort Erie and Fort Malden - the administrators
        welcome some colour during the drab winter months. There we are in view
        of the public so maintain ourselves as we would at a regular event.
        On occasion we also do "Dog and Pony" events - also in public view.
        Winter also provides us time in an evening meeting for instruction on
        cartridge making for our new men, care and maintenance of the Bess
        (stripping it down completely and cleaning all nooks and crannies), and
        the manufacture of kit, such as knapsacks.
        With such attention, and regular maintenance there are no surprises
        when we get to unpack our stuff a few days before the first local event
        of the year.
        So, regular use and maintenance, rather than stowing kit away for
        several months, is my advice.
        Ray Hobbs
        41st

        On 4-Dec-06, at 10:56 AM, Gordon Deans wrote:

        > With another successful Historic Merchants Gathering completed, the
        > reenacting season is over for most of us until Longwoods 2007.
        >
        > Can anyone offer some tips as to the year-end cleaning and storage of
        > equipment until Longwoods 2007? Muskets, bayonets, cutlasses, swords,
        > leatherwork, etc.? Cleaning, oiling, polishing, etc.?
        >
        > Without being under the scrutiny of the public this time, it is
        > possible to use the best of the modern products and techniques. What
        > is recommended? What do you use?
        >
        > Gord Deans

      • glifencible
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
          > Can anyone offer some tips as to the year-end cleaning and storage of
          > equipment until Longwoods 2007? Muskets, bayonets, cutlasses, swords,
          > leatherwork, etc.? Cleaning, oiling, polishing, etc.?
          >
          > Without being under the scrutiny of the public this time, it is
          > possible to use the best of the modern products and techniques. What
          > is recommended? What do you use?

          Shameless plug...

          Dan Pearson will be doing a presentation on this very topic at the
          Living History Conference in March.

          http://livinghistoryconference.com

          You may also check out this thread:

          http://glengarrylightinfantry.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7
        • larrylozon
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
            Ray Hobbs wrote:

            Gordon:
            I am sure that most of the redcoat reenactors do what we do in the
            41st - continue our reenacting throughout the winter months.

            I must add to the esteemed Doctor Hobbs' statement:

            If the re-enactor follows the orders set out in i812 - -

            He will clean his musket and kit after he has used it
            and it is ready to be used or stored.

            Yrs.,
            L2
          • glifencible
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "larrylozon" <larrylozon@...> wrote:

              > Ray Hobbs wrote:
              >
              > Gordon:
              > I am sure that most of the redcoat reenactors do what we do in the
              > 41st - continue our reenacting throughout the winter months.
              >

              > I must add to the esteemed Doctor Hobbs' statement:
              >

              > If the re-enactor follows the orders set out in i812 - -
              >
              > He will clean his musket and kit after he has used it
              > and it is ready to be used or stored.
              >

              > Yrs.,
              > L2
              To add to Larry's statement that was added to Ray's statement, the
              sooner you clean your musket after using it, and the more frequently
              you clean it makes it much easier to maintain. It will probably work
              better too.
            • suthren@magma.ca
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
                Naval Kit Storage, Off-season

                Leatherwork: clean and rub down with 'Dubbin' or similar product
                Linen, other washables: hand wash in cold water, rinse, and air dry
                Woolen coats, waistcoats: dryclean and air out afterward
                Canvas (duck) slops: wash if needed in cold water; air dry thoroughly. 'Dubbin' on leather sheath.
                Steel items e.g. sheath knives: clean, wipe down with cloth touched with light oil
                Shoes: clean, polish (if smooth) and apply light coat of 'Dubbin'. Put in shoe trees or cram with paper
                Musquetoons, pistols: clean with warm soapy water; wipe/swab dry; wipe/swab down with light machine oil cloth
                Cutlasses, pikes, boarding axes: ditto as per firelocks
                Canvas items e,g, seabags, hammocks, haversacks, : air in sun to clear out mould and damp before folding and stowing
                Brass: not to be polished. Clean if necessary with warm soapy water and wipe dry.
                Cocked hats: brush with stiff brush

                Store all items away from damp. Place cedar balls or chips with clothing, particularly woolen coats, waistcoats and breeches.

                Pack away lovingly and think of next year....

                Vic Suthren

                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
                  Speaking as one who is NOT generally actively reenacting during the
                  winter months, I have come up with some minimal maintenance routines.
                  (Though I admit that I am hoping to be a bit busier this winter than in
                  previous years.)

                  My muskets/rifles have been stripped and well cleaned, lightly oiled
                  where required (NO WD-40... it is reputed to be mildly corrosive over
                  long term). I store my guns on a rack in a cool, dry room, uncased.
                  Every couple of weeks I wipe them down with a soft silcon-impregnated
                  cloth, of the type widely available for hunting and fishing equipment.
                  I also polish the brass hardware (with Brasso), and the stocks (with
                  liquid furniture polish). If any of the guns have given any hint of
                  mechanical problems during the season, they take an off-season trip to
                  visit Les Szabo for a tuneup.

                  Swords, cutlasses, and bayonets have been carefully cleaned, all the
                  brass polished, the blades wiped down with the silicon cloth. I store
                  the blades sheathed, racked with the guns. They are also periodically
                  wiped down.

                  I treat all my leather with a leather conditioner, and make sure that
                  any neccessary restitching is taken care of. If needed, I can clean
                  and re-dye any pieces that are starting to look overly worn, or have
                  been severely scuffed. (Fortunately, I don't have white leather to
                  worry about.) I hang up all my leather in a cool, dry place.

                  Finally, I also use the off-season to clean up my existing uniforms.
                  Wearing white trousers means there's plenty of stain removal to
                  achieve. There are always one or two shirt seams that need mending, as
                  well. I have also put a couple of new uniform pieces on my Christmas
                  list this year... hope Santa is listening. Coats, cloaks, waistcoats,
                  and hats need brushing, and sometimes dry cleaning if they're really
                  mucked up. (I've found that felt hats, like top hats or round hats,
                  respond well to being steamed and brushed.)

                  Some of the others, more experienced than I, may have different, and
                  even better winter storage and maintenance tips to offer. I hope,
                  however, that these are of some use.

                  Dale Kidd
                  Master at Arms
                  H.M. Provincial Marine
                • JGIL1812@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
                    In a message dated 12/4/2006 11:51:23 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                    blongo@... writes:

                    He will clean his musket and kit after he has used it
                    > and it is ready to be used or stored.

                    What's all this non sense about cleaning and storing your musket. By God
                    man... come and campaign at New Orleans in January. I am sure the General can
                    ensure that you are put to good use.

                    JG/RE

                  • Mark Dickerson
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
                      I have tried dry cleaning my coats in the past and have been unsatisfied with it. They tend to ruin the pewter buttons. Just simply do what the soldiers did 200 years ago. Wash them! Use cold water, gentle cycle, a little bit of Woolite, and allow the drip dry for a couple of days.
                      NO HOT WATER
                      NO AUTOMATIC DRYER!!
                      People will call you crazy and tell you that you will shrink your barracks coat ( great coat, blankets) and that you will burn in the firey depths of Hades. Simply not true. I have washed my greatcoat (and my WW2 uniform) many times and it still fits perfectly. Just be careful with it. During the first time that I ever washed the greatcoat, I looked at the wash water I was thoroughly disgusted that I washed it a second time.
                      According to re-enactor lore, that's why the barrackes coats were white. The more you washed them, the whiter they got.

                      Mark Dickerson

                      Woolen coats, waistcoats: dryclean and air out afterward

                      .

                    • glifencible
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
                        > Woolen coats, waistcoats: dryclean and air out afterward

                        I've used Dryel on all of my wool with great success. (several times a
                        season) If however you try it, use at your own risk... :P
                      • Dale Kidd
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Dickerson" <mdickerson1@...>
                          wrote:
                          "Wash them! Use cold water, gentle cycle, a little bit of Woolite, and
                          allow the drip dry for a couple of days."

                          Thanks for the tip, Mark. That really ought to save me a fair bit on
                          dry cleaning bills! Although my pea coat is dark navy blue, and hides
                          the dirt well, it still ends up filthy and smelling like stale wood
                          smoke. Yech! I'm all in favour of anything that will allow me to
                          launder the darned thing a bit more frequently.

                          ~Dale
                        • Susan Spencer
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
                            And another shameless plug . . .

                            Les Szabo of the Lion's Den will be my guest at the store in Hamilton
                            (ON) for a Midwinter Musket Tuneup (rifles, etc., too!) on Saturday,
                            February 10th, 2007. Les will be onsite for the day with his tools at
                            the ready to fix what ails your gear, answer any questions, and
                            generally do what Les does. Everyone welcome -- there's no "cover
                            charge," just the cost of whatever gear and services Les provides.

                            As he says, better to do it then in a relaxed environment than in a rush
                            ten minutes before you have to be on the field . . .

                            For my part, I will ensure that there is a good supply of lemon
                            shortbread onsite that day as well so that the addicts can get their fix
                            . . .

                            Cheers,
                            -- Sioux
                          • philgarringer
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 4, 2006
                              And don't forget Ogdensburg, NY in February...

                              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JGIL1812@... wrote:

                              > In a message dated 12/4/2006 11:51:23 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                              > blongo@... writes:
                              >
                              > He will clean his musket and kit after he has used it
                              > > and it is ready to be used or stored.
                              >

                              > What's all this non sense about cleaning and storing your musket.
                              By God
                              > man... come and campaign at New Orleans in January. I am sure the
                              General can
                              > ensure that you are put to good use.
                              >
                              > JG/RE

                            • larrylozon
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 5, 2006
                                "Mark Dickerson" wrote:

                                I have tried dry cleaning my coats ...They tend to ruin the pewter
                                buttons.

                                Mark

                                Remove your Pewter, Gold or Silver plated buttons from
                                your coat, vest and trousers

                                Send them to the Dry Cleaners

                                When they return

                                Remove them from the plastic

                                Sew on the buttons

                                Voila, les vĂȘtements sont comme nouveau!

                                Yrs.,
                                L2
                              • Mark Dickerson
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 5, 2006
                                  But I found that dry cleaning did not remove all the sweat stains (as icky as that is) on my coat.
                                  Plus I am too lazy to remove all those buttons from my coat. My washing machine is much simpler for lazy people like me.

                                  Mark

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 5, 2006
                                    "Mark Dickerson" wrote:

                                    " But I found that dry cleaning did not remove all the sweat
                                    stains ...
                                    Plus I am too lazy to remove all those buttons from my coat. "

                                    Mark

                                    Use Deodorant and Gold Bond powder and those nasty seat stains won't
                                    happen

                                    Plus for the Lazy Officers, I do provide a "Button Cut Off and Sew
                                    On Service

                                    ... and am sure that the Good Doctor can afford it (2nd Mortgage!)

                                    Yrs.,
                                    L2
                                  • Gordon Deans
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 6, 2006
                                      Please forgive any duplicate emails that you might have received as
                                      my email provider seems to have resent everything from December 4th.

                                      Thanks to everyone for the valuable insights into preparing kit for
                                      winter storage. Some do, some don't, but experiences of those that do
                                      will save me some painful lessons. I did check the internet before
                                      asking but found conflicting advice (surprise!) so decided to ask our
                                      1812 period experts.

                                      Not everyone can drill through the winter and I commend those who do.

                                      Gord Deans, Gunner, Royal Navy,
                                      HMS Charwell Landing Party.

                                      P.S. I think that I will pass on the "sheep dip" from the co-op farm
                                      store being from the city.

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 6, 2006
                                        So there'll be no snickering about Falklands War Brides, etc?

                                        Vic

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Dec 6, 2006
                                          Vic,

                                          To paraphrase an infamous SAS author - what happened in the Falklands
                                          should stay in the Falklands. NOW I know what he meant.

                                          Thanks.

                                          So there'll be no snickering about Falklands War Brides, etc?

                                          Vic

                                          With another successful Historic Merchants Gathering completed, the
                                          reenacting season is over for most of us until Longwoods 2007.

                                          Can anyone offer some tips as to the year-end cleaning and storage
                                          of
                                          equipment until Longwoods 2007? Muskets, bayonets, cutlasses,
                                          swords,
                                          leatherwork, etc.? Cleaning, oiling, polishing, etc.?

                                          Without being under the scrutiny of the public this time, it is
                                          possible to use the best of the modern products and techniques. What
                                          is recommended? What do you use?

                                          Gord Deans

                                          04/12/06

                                          The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
                                          of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
                                          THOUSANDS of square miles...

                                          Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                                          http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                                          American Forces Unit Listing
                                          http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                                          WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
                                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                                        • Peter Catley
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Dec 7, 2006
                                            Only for the Welsh Regiments I'm told :-)

                                            If we're talking the Falklands, what about the helicopter sport of
                                            Penguin bowling:-)

                                            Cheers

                                            P**

                                            Gordon Deans wrote:

                                            > Vic,
                                            >
                                            > To paraphrase an infamous SAS author - what happened in the Falklands
                                            > should stay in the Falklands. NOW I know what he meant.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks.

                                          • Gordon Deans
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Dec 7, 2006
                                              Didn't the last time they tried that on South Georgia Island end up in
                                              a crash? Penguins 1, Royal Marines helicopter 0. {8^)

                                              Gordon Deans wrote:

                                              > Vic,
                                              >
                                              > To paraphrase an infamous SAS author - what happened in the
                                              > Falklands
                                              > should stay in the Falklands. NOW I know what he meant.
                                              >
                                              > Thanks.

                                            • Peter Catley
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Dec 7, 2006
                                                I hadn't heard that, I hope it is true!