Black Canvas Paint

  • Threepdr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 1999
      We have been using a good "synthetic" black paint recipe for Confederate
      painted accouterments and Federal haversack applications in the ACW
      community. It consists of black latex paint (gloss or semi-gloss) and black
      latex caulking. The proportions are one gallon paint to one tube of caulk.
      If you are mixing in smaller quantities, experiment with the proportions.
      The advantage of this recipe is that it gives the finish a thicker texture,
      closer to some original finishes we have seen, and it does not get as brittle
      and stiff in cold weather as straight paint. The best results I have heard
      of for using it is to paint your fabric in warm weather and let it dry slowly
      in the shade. Winter time dying periods, even here in the sunny south, can
      be very slow. Good Luck!

      Mark Hubbs
      Jackson's Lifeguards
    • Scott Jeznach
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 1999
        This message reminded me of another mixture you all might find handy. A
        good "pipeclay" white for leather goods is a 50-50 mixture of white liquid
        shoe polish (I prefer nurses chalk white) and white acrylic paint (the kind
        found in tubes in art supply stores). We use this in the Royal Marines, and
        I've been using it for years in AWI. It goes on well, doesn't flake or rub
        off, and can actually be cleaned with a sponge a few times before
        re-application.

        Just thought I'd share this with everyone to prove I'm not a complete jerk
        (contrary to popular belief in some circles).

        Scott J.
        Royal Marines
        >We have been using a good "synthetic" black paint recipe for Confederate
        >painted accouterments and Federal haversack applications in the ACW
        >community. It consists of black latex paint (gloss or semi-gloss) and
        black
        >latex caulking. The proportions are one gallon paint to one tube of caulk.
        >If you are mixing in smaller quantities, experiment with the proportions.
        >The advantage of this recipe is that it gives the finish a thicker texture,
        >closer to some original finishes we have seen, and it does not get as
        brittle
        >and stiff in cold weather as straight paint. The best results I have heard
        >of for using it is to paint your fabric in warm weather and let it dry
        slowly
        >in the shade. Winter time dying periods, even here in the sunny south, can
        >be very slow. Good Luck!
        >
        >Mark Hubbs
        >Jackson's Lifeguards
        >
        >>The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
        square miles...