War of 1812

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 1999
      According to the Canadian History Channel
      they will be featuring the movie
      The War of 1812
      on Wednesday and Thursday evening.
      I believe this is the film that was filmed
      at Mississinewa and Fort George as
      well as other locations.
      Grab a VCR tape, as I am sure our
      American, New Zealand and British
      mates will want a copy.
      Larry
    • Greg Butt
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 4, 1999
        Don't forget your Aussie mates as well!!

        Sgt Gregory Butt
        73rd Regt. of Foot, New South Wales, Australia
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 4, 1999
          Dear List

          On this note, would any generous list members be willing to send copies
          of any 1812 re-enactment videos to a poor, deprived Brit who is
          suffering from 1812 deficiency? :-) NTSC is no problem as I have a dual
          purpose video, and anything I can provide in return I shall try to do.

          Allan Jones

          > Larry Lozon wrote:
          >
          > According to the Canadian History Channel
          > they will be featuring the movie
          > The War of 1812
          > on Wednesday and Thursday evening.
          > I believe this is the film that was filmed
          > at Mississinewa and Fort George as
          > well as other locations.
          > Grab a VCR tape, as I am sure our
          > American, New Zealand and British
          > mates will want a copy.
          > Larry

        • Rob Taylor
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 9, 1999
            Allen:
            They are showing the mini-series again this
            Sunday. I will mail it to you if you like. Contact me
            directly at
            niagara_falls_98@...

            Rob Taylor

            --- Allan and Rosemary Jones
            <allan@...> wrote:
            > Dear List
            >
            > On this note, would any generous list members be
            > willing to send copies
            > of any 1812 re-enactment videos to a poor, deprived
            > Brit who is
            > suffering from 1812 deficiency? :-) NTSC is no
            > problem as I have a dual
            > purpose video, and anything I can provide in return
            > I shall try to do.
            >
            > Allan Jones
            >
            > > Larry Lozon wrote:
            > >
            > > According to the Canadian History Channel
            > > they will be featuring the movie
            > > The War of 1812
            > > on Wednesday and Thursday evening.
            > > I believe this is the film that was filmed
            > > at Mississinewa and Fort George as
            > > well as other locations.
            > > Grab a VCR tape, as I am sure our
            > > American, New Zealand and British
            > > mates will want a copy.
            > > Larry

            > the fate of hundreds of square miles: in North
            > America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
            > of square miles...

            <HR>

            =====
            War of 1812 Website: http://members.tripod.com/~war1812/
          • Rob Taylor
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 5, 2000
              Henry Clay was so confident of an easy victory in a
              strike across the border that he said, "I trust I
              shall not be presumptuous when I state that I verily
              believe that the militia of Kentucky alone are
              competent to place Montreal and Upper Canada at your
              feet." He estimated that it would take the American
              troops no more than four weeks to overrun and hold the
              important regions of British North America. Thomas
              Jefferson stated that it would be "a mere matter of
              marching"
              Many people find it unpatriotic to adhere to the
              facts. After failing to capture Canada the U.S. found
              themselves fighting a defensive war to save their own
              country. At one point Mr. Madison (the U.S. President)
              was even hiding in the hills of Virginia because the
              captial of the country "Washington" had been attacked
              and was burning. When the war was over the only
              American soldiers left in Canada were prisoners of
              war, yet a great deal of America was occupied by
              British forces, Maine, Fort Niagara, Fort Mackinac to
              name but a few. These were returned to the United
              States via the Treaty of Ghent, this was a credit to
              the American negotiators. In short America did not
              obtain any of their military goals. In the New England
              state they even considered secession, feeling that the
              war was unjust and fought for reasons other than
              stated by the war hawks. Many have said that after
              this conflict, Great Britain's interference in
              American affairs ended, so in some way this is a
              victory. But the truth be told it was not the war in
              North America that won America the right of being left
              alone, but the greater war in Europe that did. With
              Napoleon defeated and Great Britain supreme at sea the
              world was to see a relative peace for a hundered
              years. And in this time of peace America was safe, and
              grew strong. So when a country is invaded, and they
              defend said country, they win in my book. No offense
              intended.

              Rob Taylor

              http://mail.yahoo.com/
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 2002
                From: : Ed Bolla"<Armchairadm@...>

                " ..... Nice to see that Canadians have there own version ......."

                Have you noticed that .....

                American authors write:
                ~ Americans won the War of 1812 at New Orleans .....

                British/Canadian authors write:
                ~ British won the War of 1812 at Queenston Heights ....

                Canadian authors who live east of Lake Erie:
                ~ never mentioned the War west of Niagara ......

                ~ some only use one or two books as gospel ..........
                ( Regimental records have a wealth of information)

                ~ most, only know about the War in their back yards .........

                ~ overweight and older re-enactors want to be elite troops ........
                (we should all be 10th Royal Veteran Battalion!)

                ~ most want others to do their research for them ......FREE .......

                ~ most want to start their own unit, instead of raising a company
                of an established group who have the research ............

                ~ think that their Regiment won the War of 1812 ... single handed!

                ~ think they need a Circus size tent for a weekend .......

                ~ are afraid an Umbrella Group will not allow them to do what is
                historically incorrect ...........

                ~ New Osprey Books have the same photos as in the others ..........

                ~ those who bitch about an event, haven't attended it in 5 years ......

                I rec'd this from a seasoned 1812 re-enactor, and I have to agree
                with HER!!!

                PS: BRAVO Mr. Pickles !!!
                BRAVO Mr. Harris !!!

                BRAVO Mr. Bolla, love your statement:

                "I'd rather be Historically Accurate
                than Politically Correct"

                It fits so beautiful with HER last statement:

                ~ when re-constructing a fort, the restoration has to be politically
                correct ........

                Yours,

                L Lozon

                " west of the Niagara Area "
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 2002
                  From: : Ed Bolla"<Armchairadm@...>

                  " ..... Nice to see that Canadians have there own version ......."

                  --------

                  -----------

                • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 6, 2002
                    Dear Mr Lozon,

                    I heartly concur with the views that you forwarded re: bias and
                    preferences of many in the re-enacting fields [ pun intended ;>) ].

                    \Warm regards,

                    Bob Dorian
                  • Cpl. Wattie <cwattie@nationalpost.com>
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 6, 2002
                      > ~ think they need a Circus size tent for a weekend .......
                      You mean like the one all the ossifers loaf around in? ;-)
                    • alliesofheronsandottawawarparty
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 14, 2009
                        if any group need natives war party at battles we would be happy to help out the war of 1812
                      • Tom Hurlbut
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 14, 2009
                          Where are you based?

                          "Major" Tom

                          if any group need natives war party at battles we would be happy to help out the war of 1812