Regimental Amalgamations was Coincidences of History

  • larrylozon
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
      Chris McKay" writes:

      "… they'd be forced to wear a kilt"

      I have been emailing an X-Colonel of the King's Regiment now UK Army
      Staff about the recent amalgamation of the King's Regiment to the
      Duke of Lancaster's Regiment

      The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment was formed from the King's Own
      Royal Border Regiment, the King's Regiment, and the Queen's
      Lancashire Regiment on 1st July 2006.

      I asked him about traditions and wanting to be in a certain Regiment.

      He said' "If a soldier is uncomfortable in a regiment he is always
      free to transfer"

      Yrs.,
      L2
    • larrylozon
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
        I am researching The British Indian Department Uniform (1810 - 1816)

        I am using

        HIS MAJESTY'S INDIAN ALLIES
        British Indian Policy in The Defence Of Canada, 1774-1815
        Robert S. Allen
        ISBN 1-55002-175-3

        -------------

        Fort Malden

        That has original documents and tail coats of British Indian
        Department Agents and Officers

        -------------------

        http://www.manitobachiefs.com/treaty/timeline.html

        1783 [Indian Officers' Land]

        "In 1783, a grant of land was made to officers of the British Indian
        Department. These officers, Alexander McKee, Matthew Elliott,
        William Caldwell, and Henry Bird ..."
        --------------

        Canadian and Ontario Archives

        That has original documents from The British Indian Department
        -------------

        Original Portraits such as:

        Uniform as shown in a portrait of William McKay (1816) and specified
        that McKay be shown in British Indian Department uniform

        "When founded (The British Indian Department ) Officers wore red
        tail coats with green collars and cuffs (much like the Army) later
        in the War of 1812 the coat changed to Blue facings ..."

        -----------

        http://www.ammsa.com/classroom/CLASS3Indianaffairs.html

        The History of Indian Affairs
        By Kenneth Williams
        Windspeaker Staff Writer
        Ottawa Canada

        "... In 1755, the British Crown established ... the British Indian
        Department, and, in 1860, the responsibility for Indian affairs was
        transferred from the government of Great Britain to the Province of
        Canada.

        INDIAN DEPARTMENT -- UPPER CANADA

        The following is a list of Canadian officers who participated with
        the British Forces for the INDIAN DEPARTMENT -- UPPER CANADA during
        the War of 1812 - 1815.

        1 Deputy Superintendent-General and Deputy Inspector-General
        Lt.-Colonel William Class, 2 July 1796

        2. ................

        ---------------

        to name a few sources ...

        If anyone knows of 'ORIGINAL' documentation on the British Indian
        Department uniform (1810 - 1816) please contact me off this Yahoo
        Group at: larrylozon (at) yahoo.ca

        Thanking you in advance

        Yrs.,
        L2
      • Richard Hardman
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 28, 2008
          Does anyone know where I can buy or borrow a copy of Robert Allen's
          book, The British Indian Department and the Frontier in the North?

          Richard Hardman
          British Indian Department
        • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 28, 2008
            There is an off chance that it is still available from the Queen's Printer in Ottawa or at the Government bookstore in Toronto.

            I have a copy at work and will look up the ISBN number for you.

            Ron

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 29, 2008
              Hello Richard,

              There are two studies, one based on the other.  You can still get the Dundurn Press book at Chapters etc.

              Ron

              Allen, Robert S. “The British Indian Department and the Frontier in North America, 1755-1830.” Canadian Historic Sites: Occasional Papers in Archaeology and History/Lieux historiques canadiens: Cahiers d’archéologies et d’histoire. No. 14. Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, 1975.

              His Majesty's Indian Allies - British Indian Policy in the Defence of Canada 1774-1815

              Price: $34.99
              ISBN13: 9781550021844

              Publisher:  Dundurn Press

            • John
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 30, 2008
                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Hardman" <shelldrake@...>
                wrote:

                > Does anyone know where I can buy or borrow a copy of Robert Allen's
                > book, The British Indian Department and the Frontier in the North?
                >
                > Richard Hardman
                > British Indian Department

                Hi Richard:

                Where do you hail from. Most libraries should carry it in Ontario.

                Cheers John MacLeod
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 30, 2008
                  May I also suggest

                  " His Majesty's Indian Allies"
                  British Indian policy in the defence of Canada, 1774-1815
                  by Robert S. Allen Dundurn Press, c1993, 1992

                  or is this the book you seek?

                  Yrs.,
                  L2

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 30, 2008
                    Kitchener's lPublick Library has it

                    If you live in Ontario an `Inter Library Loan' is available

                    Yrs.,
                    L2

                    PS: Good to hear from you Brother John way out there in the Western
                    District
                    Another good book: "The Western District" ISBN 0-9691611-2-3

                    --- "John" wrote:

                    Hi Richard:

                    Where do you hail from.
                    Most libraries should carry it in Ontario.

                    Cheers John MacLeod>
                  • RICHARD HARDMAN