Re: [WarOf1812] Coincidences of History

  • roy winders
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
      Thanks Gord

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Gordon Deans <gord.deans@...>
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, November 5, 2006 7:14:51 PM
      Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Coincidences of History

      Roy,

      Sorry for the omission, but I was making a point regarding Scottish
      Regiments, not the Military Heritage Day.

      It was a pleasure to have your group fill out our 1812 ranks.

      Gord

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
        Chris McKay" writes:

        "… they'd be forced to wear a kilt"

        I have been emailing an X-Colonel of the King's Regiment now UK Army
        Staff about the recent amalgamation of the King's Regiment to the
        Duke of Lancaster's Regiment

        The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment was formed from the King's Own
        Royal Border Regiment, the King's Regiment, and the Queen's
        Lancashire Regiment on 1st July 2006.

        I asked him about traditions and wanting to be in a certain Regiment.

        He said' "If a soldier is uncomfortable in a regiment he is always
        free to transfer"

        Yrs.,
        L2
      • larrylozon
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
          I am researching The British Indian Department Uniform (1810 - 1816)

          I am using

          HIS MAJESTY'S INDIAN ALLIES
          British Indian Policy in The Defence Of Canada, 1774-1815
          Robert S. Allen
          ISBN 1-55002-175-3

          -------------

          Fort Malden

          That has original documents and tail coats of British Indian
          Department Agents and Officers

          -------------------

          http://www.manitobachiefs.com/treaty/timeline.html

          1783 [Indian Officers' Land]

          "In 1783, a grant of land was made to officers of the British Indian
          Department. These officers, Alexander McKee, Matthew Elliott,
          William Caldwell, and Henry Bird ..."
          --------------

          Canadian and Ontario Archives

          That has original documents from The British Indian Department
          -------------

          Original Portraits such as:

          Uniform as shown in a portrait of William McKay (1816) and specified
          that McKay be shown in British Indian Department uniform

          "When founded (The British Indian Department ) Officers wore red
          tail coats with green collars and cuffs (much like the Army) later
          in the War of 1812 the coat changed to Blue facings ..."

          -----------

          http://www.ammsa.com/classroom/CLASS3Indianaffairs.html

          The History of Indian Affairs
          By Kenneth Williams
          Windspeaker Staff Writer
          Ottawa Canada

          "... In 1755, the British Crown established ... the British Indian
          Department, and, in 1860, the responsibility for Indian affairs was
          transferred from the government of Great Britain to the Province of
          Canada.

          INDIAN DEPARTMENT -- UPPER CANADA

          The following is a list of Canadian officers who participated with
          the British Forces for the INDIAN DEPARTMENT -- UPPER CANADA during
          the War of 1812 - 1815.

          1 Deputy Superintendent-General and Deputy Inspector-General
          Lt.-Colonel William Class, 2 July 1796

          2. ................

          ---------------

          to name a few sources ...

          If anyone knows of 'ORIGINAL' documentation on the British Indian
          Department uniform (1810 - 1816) please contact me off this Yahoo
          Group at: larrylozon (at) yahoo.ca

          Thanking you in advance

          Yrs.,
          L2
        • Richard Hardman
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 28, 2008
            Does anyone know where I can buy or borrow a copy of Robert Allen's
            book, The British Indian Department and the Frontier in the North?

            Richard Hardman
            British Indian Department
          • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 28, 2008
              There is an off chance that it is still available from the Queen's Printer in Ottawa or at the Government bookstore in Toronto.

              I have a copy at work and will look up the ISBN number for you.

              Ron

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 29, 2008
                Hello Richard,

                There are two studies, one based on the other.  You can still get the Dundurn Press book at Chapters etc.

                Ron

                Allen, Robert S. “The British Indian Department and the Frontier in North America, 1755-1830.” Canadian Historic Sites: Occasional Papers in Archaeology and History/Lieux historiques canadiens: Cahiers d’archéologies et d’histoire. No. 14. Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, 1975.

                His Majesty's Indian Allies - British Indian Policy in the Defence of Canada 1774-1815

                Price: $34.99
                ISBN13: 9781550021844

                Publisher:  Dundurn Press

              • John
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 30, 2008
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Hardman" <shelldrake@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Does anyone know where I can buy or borrow a copy of Robert Allen's
                  > book, The British Indian Department and the Frontier in the North?
                  >
                  > Richard Hardman
                  > British Indian Department

                  Hi Richard:

                  Where do you hail from. Most libraries should carry it in Ontario.

                  Cheers John MacLeod
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 30, 2008
                    May I also suggest

                    " His Majesty's Indian Allies"
                    British Indian policy in the defence of Canada, 1774-1815
                    by Robert S. Allen Dundurn Press, c1993, 1992

                    or is this the book you seek?

                    Yrs.,
                    L2

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 30, 2008
                      Kitchener's lPublick Library has it

                      If you live in Ontario an `Inter Library Loan' is available

                      Yrs.,
                      L2

                      PS: Good to hear from you Brother John way out there in the Western
                      District
                      Another good book: "The Western District" ISBN 0-9691611-2-3

                      --- "John" wrote:

                      Hi Richard:

                      Where do you hail from.
                      Most libraries should carry it in Ontario.

                      Cheers John MacLeod>
                    • RICHARD HARDMAN