Re: [WarOf1812] Coincidences of History

  • roy winders
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 5, 2006
      Not to mention The British Indian Dept. eh!

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 5, 2006
        Interesting connection, Gord, I hadn't noted that. By the way,
        though I'm not sure this is what you were asking, the newly form
        Royal Regiment of Scotland will be wearing a kilt and new cap badge
        throughout - even in the Royal Scots Borderers - the lowland
        battalion of the Regiment. Although I'm not sure it will have the
        same effect, it does make me think of the problems the government
        had in recruiting in the early nineteenth century - few people from
        Englad (or the lowlands of Scotland) particularly wanted to join
        Highland Regiments as they'd be forced to wear a kilt.

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 5, 2006
          In a message dated 05/11/2006 09:31:19 Central Standard Time,
          PrivateCannon@... writes:

          the newly form
          Royal Regiment of Scotland will be wearing a kilt and new cap badge
          throughout - even in the Royal Scots Borderers - the lowland
          battalion of the Regiment.

          Remember that when these amalgamations occur the old regiments cease to
          exist and the new regiment merely 'carries on the traditions' of the previous
          regiments. As one old soldier once said to me 'it's like taking a leek in pair
          of black trousers, perhaps no one notices, and you can have a nice warm feeling
          for a while, but you know it shouldn't be done and in the end it makes one
          feel very uncomfortable. Perhaps I should mention this chap, with a very long
          family history in the Blues resigned his commission because it was being
          amalgamated with a line regiment (the Royals).
          Also when I was asking Colonel Upton of the Royal Hussars what, if any 11th
          Lt. Dragoon/ Hussar badges or insignia the re-enactment unit should not use
          his reply was "Use what you like MY regiment ceased to exist in 1968!" (he was
          11th pre amalgamation)

        • Gordon Deans
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 5, 2006
            Roy,

            Sorry for the omission, but I was making a point regarding Scottish
            Regiments, not the Military Heritage Day.

            It was a pleasure to have your group fill out our 1812 ranks.

            Gord

            | Not to mention The British Indian Dept. eh!

            fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

            | Unit Contact information for North America:
            | Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            | http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
            | American Forces Unit Listing
            | http://usforces1812.tripod.com
            |
            | WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
            | http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist
            | Yahoo! Groups Links

          • roy winders
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
              Thanks Gord

              | Not to mention The British Indian Dept. eh!

            • larrylozon
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
                Chris McKay" writes:

                "… they'd be forced to wear a kilt"

                I have been emailing an X-Colonel of the King's Regiment now UK Army
                Staff about the recent amalgamation of the King's Regiment to the
                Duke of Lancaster's Regiment

                The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment was formed from the King's Own
                Royal Border Regiment, the King's Regiment, and the Queen's
                Lancashire Regiment on 1st July 2006.

                I asked him about traditions and wanting to be in a certain Regiment.

                He said' "If a soldier is uncomfortable in a regiment he is always
                free to transfer"

                Yrs.,
                L2
              • larrylozon
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
                  I am researching The British Indian Department Uniform (1810 - 1816)

                  I am using

                  HIS MAJESTY'S INDIAN ALLIES
                  British Indian Policy in The Defence Of Canada, 1774-1815
                  Robert S. Allen
                  ISBN 1-55002-175-3

                  -------------

                  Fort Malden

                  That has original documents and tail coats of British Indian
                  Department Agents and Officers

                  -------------------

                  http://www.manitobachiefs.com/treaty/timeline.html

                  1783 [Indian Officers' Land]

                  "In 1783, a grant of land was made to officers of the British Indian
                  Department. These officers, Alexander McKee, Matthew Elliott,
                  William Caldwell, and Henry Bird ..."
                  --------------

                  Canadian and Ontario Archives

                  That has original documents from The British Indian Department
                  -------------

                  Original Portraits such as:

                  Uniform as shown in a portrait of William McKay (1816) and specified
                  that McKay be shown in British Indian Department uniform

                  "When founded (The British Indian Department ) Officers wore red
                  tail coats with green collars and cuffs (much like the Army) later
                  in the War of 1812 the coat changed to Blue facings ..."

                  -----------

                  http://www.ammsa.com/classroom/CLASS3Indianaffairs.html

                  The History of Indian Affairs
                  By Kenneth Williams
                  Windspeaker Staff Writer
                  Ottawa Canada

                  "... In 1755, the British Crown established ... the British Indian
                  Department, and, in 1860, the responsibility for Indian affairs was
                  transferred from the government of Great Britain to the Province of
                  Canada.

                  INDIAN DEPARTMENT -- UPPER CANADA

                  The following is a list of Canadian officers who participated with
                  the British Forces for the INDIAN DEPARTMENT -- UPPER CANADA during
                  the War of 1812 - 1815.

                  1 Deputy Superintendent-General and Deputy Inspector-General
                  Lt.-Colonel William Class, 2 July 1796

                  2. ................

                  ---------------

                  to name a few sources ...

                  If anyone knows of 'ORIGINAL' documentation on the British Indian
                  Department uniform (1810 - 1816) please contact me off this Yahoo
                  Group at: larrylozon (at) yahoo.ca

                  Thanking you in advance

                  Yrs.,
                  L2
                • Richard Hardman
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 28, 2008
                    Does anyone know where I can buy or borrow a copy of Robert Allen's
                    book, The British Indian Department and the Frontier in the North?

                    Richard Hardman
                    British Indian Department
                  • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 28, 2008
                      There is an off chance that it is still available from the Queen's Printer in Ottawa or at the Government bookstore in Toronto.

                      I have a copy at work and will look up the ISBN number for you.

                      Ron

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 29, 2008
                        Hello Richard,

                        There are two studies, one based on the other.  You can still get the Dundurn Press book at Chapters etc.

                        Ron

                        Allen, Robert S. “The British Indian Department and the Frontier in North America, 1755-1830.” Canadian Historic Sites: Occasional Papers in Archaeology and History/Lieux historiques canadiens: Cahiers d’archéologies et d’histoire. No. 14. Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, 1975.

                        His Majesty's Indian Allies - British Indian Policy in the Defence of Canada 1774-1815

                        Price: $34.99
                        ISBN13: 9781550021844

                        Publisher:  Dundurn Press

                      • John
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 30, 2008
                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Hardman" <shelldrake@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Does anyone know where I can buy or borrow a copy of Robert Allen's
                          > book, The British Indian Department and the Frontier in the North?
                          >
                          > Richard Hardman
                          > British Indian Department

                          Hi Richard:

                          Where do you hail from. Most libraries should carry it in Ontario.

                          Cheers John MacLeod
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 30, 2008
                            May I also suggest

                            " His Majesty's Indian Allies"
                            British Indian policy in the defence of Canada, 1774-1815
                            by Robert S. Allen Dundurn Press, c1993, 1992

                            or is this the book you seek?

                            Yrs.,
                            L2

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 30, 2008
                              Kitchener's lPublick Library has it

                              If you live in Ontario an `Inter Library Loan' is available

                              Yrs.,
                              L2

                              PS: Good to hear from you Brother John way out there in the Western
                              District
                              Another good book: "The Western District" ISBN 0-9691611-2-3

                              --- "John" wrote:

                              Hi Richard:

                              Where do you hail from.
                              Most libraries should carry it in Ontario.

                              Cheers John MacLeod>
                            • RICHARD HARDMAN