[WarOf1812] Coincidences of History

  • Gordon Deans
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 5, 2006
      On Saturday, October 28th, 2006, the Light Company of the Royal Scots
      Regiment [1812] along with the 41st Regiment [1812] and the HMS
      Charwell Landing Party of [1812] were invited to the armouries in
      Cambridge to participate in the Military Heritage Day for the Royal
      Highland Fusiliers Regiment of Canada which currently has nine members
      serving in Afghanistan.

      This regiment also has sixteen active and trained gunners / members in
      the HMS Charwell Landing Party [1812] including one of the members who
      are serving in Afghanistan.

      However, the coincidence is that the Royal Highland Fusiliers Regiment
      of Canada has an equivalent ancestor regiment in the Royal Highland
      Fusiliers Regiment of the United Kingdom. On March 28th, 2006, this
      was one of the regiments that was combined with the Royal Scots
      Regiment of the United Kingdom to form the new Royal Regiment of
      Scotland. So the Royal Scots Regiment [1812] now has an official
      connection with the Royal Highland Fusiliers Regiment of Canada
      through the joining of their ancestor regiments.

      As always, the Royal Scots remained the first battalion and the Royal
      Highland Fusiliers became the second battalion of The Royal Regiment
      of Scotland. Four other regiments were also combined into The Royal
      Regiment of Scotland as detailed below.

      http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/001SCOTS.htm

      2006.03.28 The Royal Regiment of Scotland

      formed by union of The Royal Scots, The Royal Highland Fusiliers, The
      King's Own Scottish Borderers, The Black Watch, The Highlanders
      (Seaforth, Gordons and Camerons), and The Argyll and Sutherland
      Highlanders.

      - The Royal Scots Battalion RRS, redesignation of 1st Bn Royal Scots

      - The Royal Highland Fusiliers, 2nd Battalion RRS,

      redesignation of 1st Bn Royal Highland Fusiliers

      - The King's Own Scottish Borderers Battalion RRS,

      redesignation of 1st Bn King's Own Scottish Borderers

      - The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion RRS, redesignation of 1st Bn Black
      Watch

      - The Highlanders, 4th Battalion RRS, redesignation of 1st Bn The
      Highlanders

      - The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, 5th Battalion RRS,

      redesignation of 1st Bn Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

      2006.08.01 Royal Scots Bn and King's Own Scottish Borderers Bn
      amalgamated to form The Royal Scots Borderers, 1st Battalion RRS.

      It also needs to be stated that the 41st Regiment [1812] has been very
      active and supportive of members of the Royal Highland Fusiliers
      Regiment of Canada becoming involved in 1812 reenacting although as
      Royal Navy gunners and sailors. Expect to see a new unit called the
      HMS Ferret Ship's Boat Crew take to the water in 2007.

      I wonder if they will be wearing kilts?

      Gord Deans, Royal Navy [1812],
      HMS Charwell Landing Party.
    • roy winders
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 5, 2006
        Not to mention The British Indian Dept. eh!

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 5, 2006
          Interesting connection, Gord, I hadn't noted that. By the way,
          though I'm not sure this is what you were asking, the newly form
          Royal Regiment of Scotland will be wearing a kilt and new cap badge
          throughout - even in the Royal Scots Borderers - the lowland
          battalion of the Regiment. Although I'm not sure it will have the
          same effect, it does make me think of the problems the government
          had in recruiting in the early nineteenth century - few people from
          Englad (or the lowlands of Scotland) particularly wanted to join
          Highland Regiments as they'd be forced to wear a kilt.

        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 5, 2006
            In a message dated 05/11/2006 09:31:19 Central Standard Time,
            PrivateCannon@... writes:

            the newly form
            Royal Regiment of Scotland will be wearing a kilt and new cap badge
            throughout - even in the Royal Scots Borderers - the lowland
            battalion of the Regiment.

            Remember that when these amalgamations occur the old regiments cease to
            exist and the new regiment merely 'carries on the traditions' of the previous
            regiments. As one old soldier once said to me 'it's like taking a leek in pair
            of black trousers, perhaps no one notices, and you can have a nice warm feeling
            for a while, but you know it shouldn't be done and in the end it makes one
            feel very uncomfortable. Perhaps I should mention this chap, with a very long
            family history in the Blues resigned his commission because it was being
            amalgamated with a line regiment (the Royals).
            Also when I was asking Colonel Upton of the Royal Hussars what, if any 11th
            Lt. Dragoon/ Hussar badges or insignia the re-enactment unit should not use
            his reply was "Use what you like MY regiment ceased to exist in 1968!" (he was
            11th pre amalgamation)

          • Gordon Deans
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 5, 2006
              Roy,

              Sorry for the omission, but I was making a point regarding Scottish
              Regiments, not the Military Heritage Day.

              It was a pleasure to have your group fill out our 1812 ranks.

              Gord

              | Not to mention The British Indian Dept. eh!

              fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

              | Unit Contact information for North America:
              | Crown Forces Unit Listing:
              | http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
              | American Forces Unit Listing
              | http://usforces1812.tripod.com
              |
              | WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
              | http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist
              | Yahoo! Groups Links

            • roy winders
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
                Thanks Gord

                | Not to mention The British Indian Dept. eh!

              • larrylozon
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
                  Chris McKay" writes:

                  "… they'd be forced to wear a kilt"

                  I have been emailing an X-Colonel of the King's Regiment now UK Army
                  Staff about the recent amalgamation of the King's Regiment to the
                  Duke of Lancaster's Regiment

                  The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment was formed from the King's Own
                  Royal Border Regiment, the King's Regiment, and the Queen's
                  Lancashire Regiment on 1st July 2006.

                  I asked him about traditions and wanting to be in a certain Regiment.

                  He said' "If a soldier is uncomfortable in a regiment he is always
                  free to transfer"

                  Yrs.,
                  L2
                • larrylozon
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
                    I am researching The British Indian Department Uniform (1810 - 1816)

                    I am using

                    HIS MAJESTY'S INDIAN ALLIES
                    British Indian Policy in The Defence Of Canada, 1774-1815
                    Robert S. Allen
                    ISBN 1-55002-175-3

                    -------------

                    Fort Malden

                    That has original documents and tail coats of British Indian
                    Department Agents and Officers

                    -------------------

                    http://www.manitobachiefs.com/treaty/timeline.html

                    1783 [Indian Officers' Land]

                    "In 1783, a grant of land was made to officers of the British Indian
                    Department. These officers, Alexander McKee, Matthew Elliott,
                    William Caldwell, and Henry Bird ..."
                    --------------

                    Canadian and Ontario Archives

                    That has original documents from The British Indian Department
                    -------------

                    Original Portraits such as:

                    Uniform as shown in a portrait of William McKay (1816) and specified
                    that McKay be shown in British Indian Department uniform

                    "When founded (The British Indian Department ) Officers wore red
                    tail coats with green collars and cuffs (much like the Army) later
                    in the War of 1812 the coat changed to Blue facings ..."

                    -----------

                    http://www.ammsa.com/classroom/CLASS3Indianaffairs.html

                    The History of Indian Affairs
                    By Kenneth Williams
                    Windspeaker Staff Writer
                    Ottawa Canada

                    "... In 1755, the British Crown established ... the British Indian
                    Department, and, in 1860, the responsibility for Indian affairs was
                    transferred from the government of Great Britain to the Province of
                    Canada.

                    INDIAN DEPARTMENT -- UPPER CANADA

                    The following is a list of Canadian officers who participated with
                    the British Forces for the INDIAN DEPARTMENT -- UPPER CANADA during
                    the War of 1812 - 1815.

                    1 Deputy Superintendent-General and Deputy Inspector-General
                    Lt.-Colonel William Class, 2 July 1796

                    2. ................

                    ---------------

                    to name a few sources ...

                    If anyone knows of 'ORIGINAL' documentation on the British Indian
                    Department uniform (1810 - 1816) please contact me off this Yahoo
                    Group at: larrylozon (at) yahoo.ca

                    Thanking you in advance

                    Yrs.,
                    L2
                  • Richard Hardman
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 28, 2008
                      Does anyone know where I can buy or borrow a copy of Robert Allen's
                      book, The British Indian Department and the Frontier in the North?

                      Richard Hardman
                      British Indian Department
                    • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 28, 2008
                        There is an off chance that it is still available from the Queen's Printer in Ottawa or at the Government bookstore in Toronto.

                        I have a copy at work and will look up the ISBN number for you.

                        Ron

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 29, 2008
                          Hello Richard,

                          There are two studies, one based on the other.  You can still get the Dundurn Press book at Chapters etc.

                          Ron

                          Allen, Robert S. “The British Indian Department and the Frontier in North America, 1755-1830.” Canadian Historic Sites: Occasional Papers in Archaeology and History/Lieux historiques canadiens: Cahiers d’archéologies et d’histoire. No. 14. Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, 1975.

                          His Majesty's Indian Allies - British Indian Policy in the Defence of Canada 1774-1815

                          Price: $34.99
                          ISBN13: 9781550021844

                          Publisher:  Dundurn Press

                        • John
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 30, 2008
                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Hardman" <shelldrake@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Does anyone know where I can buy or borrow a copy of Robert Allen's
                            > book, The British Indian Department and the Frontier in the North?
                            >
                            > Richard Hardman
                            > British Indian Department

                            Hi Richard:

                            Where do you hail from. Most libraries should carry it in Ontario.

                            Cheers John MacLeod
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 30, 2008
                              May I also suggest

                              " His Majesty's Indian Allies"
                              British Indian policy in the defence of Canada, 1774-1815
                              by Robert S. Allen Dundurn Press, c1993, 1992

                              or is this the book you seek?

                              Yrs.,
                              L2

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 30, 2008
                                Kitchener's lPublick Library has it

                                If you live in Ontario an `Inter Library Loan' is available

                                Yrs.,
                                L2

                                PS: Good to hear from you Brother John way out there in the Western
                                District
                                Another good book: "The Western District" ISBN 0-9691611-2-3

                                --- "John" wrote:

                                Hi Richard:

                                Where do you hail from.
                                Most libraries should carry it in Ontario.

                                Cheers John MacLeod>
                              • RICHARD HARDMAN