painting canvas

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 1999
      Andrew,

      Your best bet for a good period paint job would be to use latex...

      Yes, yes we all strive for the ultimate in accuracy but the work required
      to make your own paint stock... accurate to period standards is very
      involved. My father is a painter and decorater from England and we came to
      Canada in the early 70's. For special projects he used to mix some of his
      own paints using linseed oil or shellac and the base powders for pigment.

      This of course was for VERY SPECIAL projects... it was a long drawn out
      process that he trained for quite sometime to perfect.

      If anyone is interested I can try and find out what some of his mixing
      processes would be but I'm sure even he dosen't really know because as with
      most things from "back in the old days" it was more of an art than a
      science and he probably just mixed until it "looked right" to him.

      Sean Hirst
      Corporal - Royal Newfoundland Reg't, Lt. Coy
      Private - Glengarry Light Infantry
      945-0591