Re: [WarOf1812] Re: The Iron Duke (was: Loyally disloyal OT)

  • dancingbobd@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 26, 2006
      Tim & Colin & all,

      Well, I wish that I had a song to share here. ; - (

      I believe that the Irish were probably technically British at the time
      too.

      I probably should have said English for that part of my heritage.

      Bob
    • roy winders
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 27, 2006
        Pure Flashshman, well said sir

        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 27, 2006
          Fenians? arent they Australian ?

          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 27, 2006
            The Fenians were an Irish Nationalist group in the mid 19th Century
            that had "branches" in Ireland and America (I'm sure there were sopme
            in Austrailia, New Zealand, Canada etc.. whereever Britain had a
            colony and Irish were sent to or went to). Being the typical Irish
            Nationalist movement they all were never going in the same direction,
            under the same leadership, ever. In the 1860s in Ireland the Fenians
            tried to ferment revolt, but mostly just ended up rioting and then
            going home when the big guns showed up. In America the Fenians were
            split into two factions. 1 wanted to supply the Fenians in Ireland
            with men and materiel, the other side wanted a more direct approach,
            which seems A LOT more indirect. The hope of this second group was to
            seize Canada and hold it for ransom for Irish independence. After the
            Civil War the Fenians (2nd faction) grew in number and strength and
            recruited former Union and Confederate soldiers, mostly Irish-American
            in one shape or another, but also had other enthnic groups represented
            in the ranks including a few African Americans (Fenian "General" John
            O'Neal was an officer in a Black Union regiment and some of those men
            went along with him). From 1867-1873 the Fenians undertook a handful
            half Arsed "ivasions" of Canada with their greatest success (not
            saying much here) coming at Ridgeway near Fort Erie but, the US
            government, no longer needing the disenchanted Irshmen threat to add
            to the list of reasons to keep Britain from helping the Confederacy,
            stepped forward and seized much of the weapons and leaders forcing the
            Fenians at Ridgeway to head home. Other attempts were thwarted by US
            forces, British warships (Eastport Maine/Campabello Island), Canadian
            militia and just poor planning, ideas and leadership. Most of all the
            US government could not afford to have 1000s of armed Irish Americans
            crossing international borders and attacking. This and a split in
            leadership and the idea of the Irish finally becoming "American" after
            their service in the Civil War led to a down turn in Irish Nationalist
            sentiment in America (if only for a short period)and the "Fenian
            Movement" died out. Those who stuck to "the Cause" would go on to
            form the Irish Republican Brotherhood (which was actually the name of
            the Fenians pre 1857) which would lead to the "Land Wars of the 1880
            and the push for Home Rule in the 1890-1914 and eventually the Easter
            Rising of 1916.

            Today the term Fenian is a general term for Irish Nationalists.
            Sometimes used as a derogatory term by British and Unionists and of
            course, like many words that are used as derogatory by an opposing
            side, Fenian became more of a term of honor. Often in the statement
            "Unrepentant Fenian Bastard"

            I think I got the gist of it

            YHOS
            Colin Murphy
            USS CON 1812 Marine Guard

          • HQ93rd@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 4, 2006
              In a message dated 10/27/06 7:31:41 AM, usmarine1814@... writes:
              > > Fenians? arent they Australian ?

              Aww, no blue, they'd jest be IRISH pommy bastards down under....
              ;-)

              Lt Col I have Irish Scots English Welsh ancestors B
              93rd SHRoFLHU
              www.93rdhighlanders.com
              THE Thin Red Line